Field & Stream

Trial153

The shortened concise content and old timey feel been playing a bit on my sentimentality. Or maybe I am longing for a time when I didnt paint myself with such a fine brush, and the outdoors encompassed everything my younger version could squeeze in from the woods and water.
In any event the ethos of the publication has brought a smile to my face of late and my 40s are hitting me with a heavy dose of nastalgia. Anyone else enjoy Field and Stream Magazine still?

Attachments

• 20201204_182842.jpg
    20201204_182842.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have read it since I could read - my grampa took Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, and Argosy, and I read them every chance I had. A little thinner these days, much like other magazines, but I like the feel and it's worth the read. Then I donate to the doc's office or work...

One common thing you here about hunters of a certain age is they got hooked on hunting from reading the “big three” magazines, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield, and Field and Stream. I sure did.

I still read and enjoy them and there are some excellent writers featured these days, following the footsteps of O’Connor, Trueblood, Hill, Zern, McMannis, Strung and dozens more.

I always enjoyed reading Outdoor Life and Field and Stream as a kid. This was one of my favorites, but I’m a sucker for a good grizzly story.

I read the crap out of those things when I was a kid. I loved "Grandpa and the Kid" and "Tap's Tips." I remember the illustration from the Grizzly story Mt. Labrodor posted vividly and was actually just telling my wife about that story the other day. I still get Field and Stream from time to time and there's some good stuff to this day. Their online forum on the other hand...

I had many milk crates full of F&S as a kid. I eventually got tired of their product placement and articles about $4,000 rifles so I cancelled. I do miss the well written hunt stories that made an appearance a few times a year.

I distinctly remember over 25 years ago sitting on my living room couch at 12 years old thumbing through my first ever hunting magazine. A field and stream I bought with my allowance while at the grocery store. I meticulously gazed at all the stories and content in awe, and read it over and over again. I remember looking over at my dad and asking him "Can we go hunting next year?". He looked back at me and said "sure". Little did I know that moment would spark a lifelong obsession that I still love today.

My dad was not, or never had been, a hunter. But I appreciate how much he did to make sure I got to go. He reached out to a family friend that was big into hunting, and that fall, with my dad's and friend's help, I harvested my first whitetail on a cold Pennsylvania morning.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back