Caribou Gear Tarp

Field Judging #2

EliAGrimmett

Here's a link to Field Judging Poll #2

Here's a preview of the buck this go around. The last time I thought was pretty cool and a lot of people submitted votes (around 100). Hopefully this time will be fun too and get a lot of votes.

Practice your field judging for the upcoming antelope season. Ready, set, go!

2 (1).jpg

I must have been the first person to do this quiz earlier, as when I placed my votes, I was the only voter. I got to 76 by going this route,

L - 15"
P - 6"
B - 6"
C1 - 6"
C2 - 3"
C3 - 2"

I'm probably way off. You don't usually bother yourself with taking pics of bucks that small.

It is a cool looking buck. Love the flared prongs. I guess 74, but what do I know.
I finally drew AZ unit 9 rifle after 22 years, im sure I will be seeing Eli around this summer and fall.
Thanks for the tips on scoring.

75 and some change. Just because I don't think he is going to make 15". Nice buck and great pictures.

When do antelope finish growing their horns or are they done now?

Last edited:
I think mid 70's is going to be where this guy ends up this year. Hopefully we won't know because he looks young with some great potential.

I was a little shorter on the length but a little longer on the prongs and about the same on mass for about the same gross score as the rest of you guys.

Assuming his right prong is close to the same and not as small as it looks in the picture I would go with 74 as well. He's got length and prongs but his prongs are low and not a whole lot of mass going on above the prong. If I had a decent tag I wouldn't look twice at this buck.

I'll go with 78. He's a nice 15" buck with decent mass, but bad measurement locations on top. I don't think his prongs are quite 6"

I think Big Fin is real close with his numbers, I dont think he will make 15, but he could, theres some good hook at the end. I was thinking 74ish. I dont think he has the mass to make it to upper 70's

Last edited:
I'll give him 80 inches now, and step up to say he will be an 84 to 86 inch goat when he's done growning this yr. I'm thinking there is a reason why Eli says to take a look from all directions before judging them. I bet his "round mass" is decieving, it will be neat to see if anything changes with the group once another perspective is provided by Eli.

I am new to trying to field judge a good antelope. I was wondering what's the best way to estimate the how tall one might be? I drew a pretty good tag and want to make the best of it. I was a little off from the rest on the guess I figured he was 13 tall.
Thanks

We usually break the length down into two measurements.

1. The distance from the base to the intersection of the prong. (we call this the "to the prong" measurement or "TP")
2. The distance from the intersection of the prong to the tip of the horn. (we call this the "past the prong" measurement or "PP")

This will make it easier to handle rather than trying to judge the length of the entire horn at once.

The TP will usually range from 4 to 8 inches on most bucks with the average on a mature buck being around 6 inches.

A pronghorn's ear will range from 5 to 8 inches long.

We use the ear and then guess the TP based on that in the field. If the TP is about as long as the ear on an AZ buck in Unit 10, then the TP will usually be around 7 inches.

For the PP, my Dad came up with a trick a long time ago where we try to visualize putting our hands on the buck's horns and placing our thumb at the intersection of the prong. We then try to reach to the tip of the horn, around the outer curve, with our middle finger. To do this you'll need to measure that distance of your hand with a ruler and remember it.

The only problem with this method is that you need to practice actually putting your hands on real sets of horns and trying to reach for the tip of the horn. Once you've done that enough times you can usually guess how much is either left over or how much past the horn tip you've reached. And either add or subtract the difference.

This is all explained a lot better in our field judging DVD.

I hope I haven't confused you too much. :)

Also, I just posted Field Judging Poll #3 on our website. Check it out!

Last edited:
Also, I just posted Field Judging Poll #3 on our website. Check it out!

Looks like I was the first one to vote so I didn't have any help on this one.

My guesses for #3 were:

L - 17"
P - 6.75"
C1 - 7"
C2 - 7.25"
C3 - 4.75"
C4 - 4"

46.75 X 2 = 93.5" Total

Looking it over I think I guessed high on the upper mass measurements, I don't see a mid 90's buck looking at the video, probably high 80's based on gut feel.

Eli, which do you think would be a better number to use consistently from one state to another, a 6" ear or a 8" face?

An 8" face is a lot more consistent on mature bucks. The face will range from 7-5/8 to about 8 2/8 on 90% of the bucks. Ears will vary a lot more.

Almost all ears in AZ and NM on 3+ Y/O bucks are 6-6/8"+. Even in Wyoming, the bucks we've killed have all had pretty big ears, usually around 6 6/8 or 7 inches. The main problem with using ear measurements is that not everyone measures them the same way.

Even the face can be measured a little differently from person to person.

Also, even though the face is a little more consistent, it's a little trickier to use it as a reference in the field because it's perpendicular to the horns instead of parallel like the ear is. Usually getting good pics will help with that.

Last edited:
Back