Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Female hunters or huntresses

My wife (2nd marriage for both of us) right after her divorce, took her sons hunting in their old “beater” 1976 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham. It was all she had, but she kept her boys hunting!

Which brings up a funny story. When she killed a Pronghorn with them, she was going to show them how to “gut it”....her words, not mine. As if rehearsed, they told her, “You shot it, you gut it”! Several years later, she got her revenge when her oldest killed a moose! memtb

@DouglasR I mean hanes' is fit no question about that but like I'm not sure that I want someone who takes that many selfies in my hunting camp, I mean we're here to hunt not look pretty and take photos. Plus I think having someone that cute in camp might distract the other guys and get their wives all riled up and I don't want drama in elk camp.

Plus if your showing your tits all over the internet... well you know what that means

#doublestandards
Ultra runners are allowed infinite selfies in my world.

399AD101-E92B-44DF-9CFD-84598B322E93.png
Come clean dude, what did you search?

I hunted with my youngest daughter for several years and spent a little time with a friend's wife hunting elk. Not a problem to me. Perhaps lots of the issue is with "image". Just now saw this story and said to myself, "who wears THAT while hunting ANYTHING but followers?"

Read this story that Dave posted, the timing of this story fits the thread I believe.

She obviously hunts food for her family and she is obviously good at doing so

BUT------she should not carry her kill after the hunt, per some who dislike her posts ?

----------she should not post in a sexy manner, per some who dislike her hunting ?

----------if a man posted these pictures with his shirt off and had a washboard stomach and was carrying his kill would he be criticized the same way ?

---------would a man doing the same thing receive death threats ?

please read the story and then --what do you think ?

I think men are fair game in general. We bust balls, make threats and more importantly have the skin to deal with it. Women are off limits for the most part, except female hunters. Because hunting is traditionally a male activity, women apparently give up their societal protections, when joining the club. Haters gonna hate

Read this story that Dave posted, the timing of this story fits the thread I believe.

BUT------she should not carry her kill after the hunt, per some who dislike her posts ?

----------she should not post in a sexy manner, per some who dislike her hunting ?

----------if a man posted these pictures with his shirt off and had a washboard stomach and was carrying his kill would he be criticized the same way ?

Exactly... although those photos/videos belong on Jose's thread.

Interesting read.

she can carry her kill our in whatever manner works for her
I dont know what posing like a model has to do with it and I wouldn't do it but it still doesn't diminish what she just accomplished--a successful hunt/food for the family
IMHO he would not. He would be a MAN with his kill on his back - his shirt off would not even be mentioned
No

I agree and disagree with bushman13. I disagree with your believing women dont need a tough skin. I must also disagree that woman dont work ( bust balls ) I do agree with you and Europe that male bashing has gone off the rails . I am not a fan of the he touched my butt with his hand twenty five years ago when we were in high school and I just now have found the strength to say something about it------PLEASE ! Political Correctness and Meto movement. --whatever--

24 hour darkness, 30 below weather, generator not working , 12 dogs are in the house with us, ---how my nails look are not real important during those times

bust balls = give someone grief
tough skin = when related to busting balls

Just a misinterpretation. Women have very tough skin when it comes to other areas of life, just not in the sh!t talking world.

Interesting read.

she can carry her kill our in whatever manner works for her
I dont know what posing like a model has to do with it and I wouldn't do it but it still doesn't diminish what she just accomplished--a successful hunt/food for the family
IMHO he would not. He would be a MAN with his kill on his back - his shirt off would not even be mentioned
No

I agree and disagree with bushman13. I disagree with your believing women dint need a tough skin. I must also disagree that woman dont work ( bust balls ) I do agree with you and Europe that male bashing has gone off the rails . I am not a fan of the he touched my but with his hand twenty five eyes ago when we were in high school and I jus know how found the strength to say something about it------PLEASE ! Political Correctness and Meto movement. --whatever--

24 hour darkness, 30 below weather, generator not working , 12 dogs are in the house with us, ---how my nails look are not real important during those times

Here’s my daughter, she shot and quartered this elk then packed it 3/4 mile over her shoulder (no pack) back to the truck. Then she came back for the other quarter that her cousin was trying to drag. They had half the elk out when I got there. She was 15 at the time.

18E4629E-6163-411C-A036-E55C6DF572FA.jpeg

She hasn’t received any death threats I’m aware of. Guess maybe if she was put on the front page of the NYT that might be different, but that goes for anything. Put yourself out there and open yourself for criticism. No different than a dude posting a trophy pic with a lion. People giving death threats online are nuts anyhow, you can’t take people with mental illness seriously.

My older kids were born and started hunting with me in California, even in that anti hunting hell hole the majority of the people who new my girls hunted were supportive and thought it was pretty cool, teachers, friends, etc. Any person who has a problem with girls hunting is living in the Stone Age.

I don’t mind gals posting sexy pictures while hunting, like looking at them just as much as the next guy. All I’m saying is right now there’s a girl on Instagram, who everyone knows as a huntress, she has 130,000 followers. For reference Randy Newberg has 89,000. You know what she’s killed this year? Nothing.. Just tons of pictures of her in provocative clothing with bows and guns. She’s not a huntress, she’s a pretty girl with guns and bows and someone that can take photos. I went elk hunting with her and her boyfriend and had there been a cliff nearby I might have tossed them both over, (jokingly) but two of the most annoying people I have ever met.

Same goes for Joe Rogan, just a comedian that’s hunts...

As for a man posting photos of dead animals with no shirt on, well I did post a picture on Facebook once of my first archery antelope with no shirt on. It was 91 degrees in central Montana that day. What followed was two days of ridicule by my hunting buddies, things I’m sure they would never say to a woman. Had to delete the post when a female high school friend posted “hot” and my wife gave me the stink eye..

E46FF49E-A151-414E-BC14-753EC5A7D6B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue being seen and talked about here is people whose number one objective is self promotion. Whole lotta people taking stupid pictures and posting stupid stuff online looking for free gear and a paycheck

This x infinity.

I would say 80% of my hunting is solo and 15% is with other men. 5% is with a female - only one and that is my younger sister who recently started deer hunting. This year will be her fourth year and she has only gotten one doe but is determined to stick with it. I don't treat her any differently than I would anybody else just starting out and she certainly isn't afraid to carry her own weight. I think some of what drove her to hunting was the fact that I do it and enjoy it so much and also the fact that she works with mainly guys. She has an engineering background and worked on construction sites and recently took a job as a facilities manager for a manufacturing company. She has started hunting some on her own but still has an issue with the field dressing. If I can get her over that she would have no problem going solo all the time. My wife refuses to go partly because it requires getting up early and tends to happen in colder weather. Her dad hunted when she was younger and took her out a few times but it never really stuck. I've heard her tell the story numerous times about how once her dad shot a rabbit and it didn't die right away and was squealing.

I have brought my daughter since she was 5 years old. Funny story for her first hunt....that year we went out on the last day of pheasant season and it was super cold (like -20F). Super short hunt, but luck shined on us and I shot 2 roosters in the first 75 yards. Took some pictures.....and she said, "dad I gotta go pee!". Okay, back to the truck we go....she made it 10 steps and peed her pants!

She is 15 now and loves whitetail hunting and we have went antelope hunting 3 times. Now she really, REALLY wants to go elk hunting so I am trying to figure out a spot to take her by saving WY points. At first, she wasn't real fond of blood. Now, no big deal and she wants to go into the medical field. So I attribute that life skill to hunting.

Distractions or accommodations? Not really. Nothing really comes to mind other than she isn't big enough in stature to haul out a rear quarter of an elk. It is what it is and we will work around that should we actually make that work. Oh, and she seems to get colder easier, but that is probably more personal than a gender thing.

I have been teaching firearm safety classes for 25 years and more and more females are in my classes. It is great and they usually come in wanting to learn while some (not all) of the boys think they know it all already.

In the FWIW department, I could almost guarantee that I could find more women among the grad students that want to hunt but don't than I could find among the men. Getting them to realize that ambition is another thing.

How many here hunt with a female and how often ?
Does it create a problem for you having a female in camp ?
do you prefer to hunt alone or with men ?
And since I am asking what do you wish we would do or not do, in camp, differently ? ( not in life and/or relationships, just in the hunting camp)
I have hunted with three females, my buddy's wife, my daughter, and a cousin. I hunt with my daughter almost every weekend during bird season, I'm hunted with my buddy's wife a few times, and my cousin twice.
I've never camped with one, but probably not.
It's more the person. I would hunt with my cousin and daughter all day every day (for the most part).
What to do differently? Like I said I've never been in camp with a girl but I would tend to have the same advice to anyone new to my camp, don't take real sh!t from anyone, but recognize when a joke is a joke, pitch it back as hard as you get it, don't doubt yourself, you're there for the same reasons as everyone else, take pride in the dirty work.

Side note, my first deer rifle was a savage 30-30, my grandma gave it to me, it was hers. She'd traded a bear skin for it. She used to be a helluva hunter before my time, routinely out shooting/hunting my grandpa (her second husband). She and her first husband used to be fanatic bird hunters, always over standard poodles. Apparently the pheasants used to be quite thick is parts of WA. She had a sweet 16 for most of her shooting, but gave it away to another grandson prior to my birth (I'd have traded damn near anything for it).

My mom never really hunted, but she tells the story of her and my dad getting deer tags one year because she was seeing a lot of bucks at work (she cruised timber for the FS), they hunted all season and only ever saw elk. So they bought Elk tags, then during elk season they hunted the same area and only ever saw deer. My dad called BS on the whole thing and bought half a cow. Neither hunted again. I do think I might be able to get them into grouse as they're both retired and spend almost every day driving and hiking in the woods, and seeing tons of grouse. Plus she got a little single shot .410 a couple years ago for a snake gun. So far she said she's not interested but I bet that changes by next year. Hell maybe my dad will even give it another go.

My Mom, sister and daughter all hunt or have hunted. My wife has talked about it the last few years so we’ll see. Her Grandma was always the 1st to get a deer every year from the stories I’ve heard. My son’s sole interest in hunting is to eat what we bring home. Lol.

20191017_122827.jpgEvery chance we can get. They prefer hunter and in years past have killed some awesome bucks.

The lady on the left of the pic, this was her 1st bull. Her twin was just as excited as you can see.

Last edited:
How many here hunt with a female and how often ? Does it create a problem for you having a female in camp ? do you prefer to hunt alone or with men ? And since I am asking what do you wish we would do or not do, in camp, differently ? ( not in life and/or relationships, just in the hunting camp)
It's zero these days. My wife, daughters have camped summers and hunted some. Not their thing. Weather is #1 excuse. Having ladies in my camp is a pleasure, but creates much extra work. I hunt solo or with my son.

"what do you wish we would do or not do, in camp, differently ? "

Not do, Complain about what is, and accept what is - is perfect, here and now. Have high hopes for my granddaughter

OP,

I think the people asking you if you knew any other female hunters were guys trying to get connected to a relationship.

This isn't farmersonly and it seems highly inappropriate to approach someone to ask if they have a sister... just my opinion.

I wouldn't have even responded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back