Feeling discouraged.

What time in the day are you getting to the top of that ridge? If it's after first shooting light you are too late. Elk go to bed before most people get to their feeding areas. As a result, they find elk sign, but no elk. Also, can you go higher on the mountain? Elk like to bed in the highest points of timber, even if they look rocky and nasty.

First day I was there about an hour after first light. I knew that was too late, so second day I was back in the same spot at 5:15am. Almost 2 hours before first light. Still found the poo but no animals.

I can understand how some might see this post silly, but I am not discouraged about not filling my tag.

I’m discouraged about not seeing any animals. I will get over for sure. Just thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

After killing and helping with 80+ elk, they all are a wonderful part of my life. I have killed them within the first 5 minutes of the first day and hunted 30+ days to get a cow. Sometimes you do not have enough time to think and then wonder how can it be over so soon. Another season I did not see and elk until I had hunter for 25 days and the bull season had ended. What was my first elk of the year but 5 bulls of different sizes walking by me as the snow blew by them in swirling patterns. Some we backed the ruck up to and others we drug or packed for more than 2 days. Some of them made us shed tears of joy and relief, while others made us make rude comments related to our level of stupidity. They all give us stories to share and memories that last a life time. I ask a friend once what was the last time he worked this hard to get and elk out and he stopped looked me in the eye and said when I was with you. Enjoy it all, share it and remember it forever. Olefish

Thank you for this. I was letting the pick of seeing anything cloud Th fact that I did in fact enjoy my time out there. This state has so much beauty to find if you just get out there.

It's possible they are heading back to their beds before it get's light... are you staying till dark? Also what are you doing during the day, have you tried to still hunt through areas you think they might be going during the heat of the day?

It's possible they are heading back to their beds before it get's light... are you staying till dark? Also what are you doing during the day, have you tried to still hunt through areas you think they might be going during the heat of the day?

When I found the fresh sign, I followed it along the ridge to an area of thick-ish timber and found all their beds. They were empty. Haha

I stayed at the top of the ridge about 600 yards from where I found the sign for almost 8 hours and didn’t see a thing. That’s what led me to think I was maybe doing something wrong. I walked both ways and the sign just stopped. No tracks that I could find. No idea where they went. Lol

Sounds like you’re where you need to be. Hopefully checking wind all the time. Keep an eye on that bedding area from a distance, adjust your times and entry. Try coming in from a different way. They are there, but know you are too!! Be the cat not the mouse!! Good Luck, don’t get discouraged, most could buy a car with eaten tags, but would rather the memories of the hunt over the car!!!!

I traveled 2308 miles one way to hunt Mt. and brought back an empty tag but had one great hunt was in range of one good bull in 10 days but wouldn't take the shot because of thicket but I listened to bulls bugling most nights and got broadside to a bull moose at 42 yards was afraid to get closer really didn't want to try outrunning him if he decided he didn't like me. I have hunted Co. the prior 26 years and like Mt. found it usually doesn't take long to outdistance the crowds. Lots of great hunting out there don't give up after one year took me 5 years to kill my first bull and have taken 14 bulls and 4 cows since.

Man just hang in there. Elk hunting is a huge mental game. It will happen if your in fresh sign just hang in there hunt hard and enjoy the time!

I have not seen an Elk or fresh sign at all with my once in a lifetime ND tag so far. I have a cow tag and have been out
five times, following leads from land owners, hunters and info from the Game and Fish department. Seems like I am always where the Elk are not.
Because I have a Cow tag, I do not have any calls. I have been moving as far away from roads as I can, find a nice ridge to view multiple
draws from and wait and watch.

MetalSpineGuy, at least you have been close to them...I would be pretty jazzed if I could find fresh sign.
I know that probably doesn't help much, but hang in there.

Some memorable things we have experienced so far this year:

Stuck thermostat (overheating truck) and cut in rear axle cover (didn't know about this till they got it up on the rack)
brought us limping home on the scouting day before opener. So I missed opening weekend...I heard there were Elk
bugling that weekend.

Tenting in 20 degree morning temps. This does not allow for a solid nights sleep...no heater.

Head counts on other animals we have seen:
Pronghorn: about 60 so far. One buck and doe bedded down within 150 yards of me for an hour. One herd of about 40 caught site of a guy on a ridge
ahead of them and flew out of there like a flock of birds. They can sure move! The herd has certainly made a comeback.
Mule Deer: 45 give or take a few. The most fun my son and I had one day was plotting am imaginary stalk on a group of 4 bucks about 450 yards away.
One of them was pretty nice, one had lost one side of his rack. At another spot, there was one nice old buck bedded on a hilside at 150 yards.
White Tail Deer: 6. No bucks. Down in the river bottoms near crop land.
Coyote: 1 with a beautiful grey-white coat...played with his food for about 20 minutes within 300 yards of us by a stock tank.
Porcupine: 1 (We gave it a wide berth)
Grouse: 25 (We did not bring our shotguns)

Elk tracks few and far between...freshest set we found were at least a few days old.

I am going out again solo in a couple days for a 2 1/2 day hunt. I really want to at least see one and maybe even have a shot
at one before Deer rifle season opens on Nov 9th and the hills get really busy.
I might try moving along the thick brush and trees that are in the draws out here for one day moving into the wind.
I will have my scope down at 3x and be in Still-hunting mode. Probably not the best tactic,
but at this point I am going to try at least one different hunt. Glassing from the ridges has not given us any sightings of Elk.

One day, two different bow hunters (deer) said they had not seen any Mulies...just Elk.
We traded info with them on where we saw the bucks and they let me know where they had seen the Elk.
My son said I might have to pick up a Bow tag to have in my pocket so I can see Elk!

First day I was there about an hour after first light. I knew that was too late, so second day I was back in the same spot at 5:15am. Almost 2 hours before first light. Still found the poo but no animals.

I can understand how some might see this post silly, but I am not discouraged about not filling my tag.

I’m discouraged about not seeing any animals. I will get over for sure. Just thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Two hours before first lite might be a little early, but it sounds like you are playing this right. It's possible they've simply moved and so you need to as well. Elk are transient, especially during hunting season. You need to go back and check their haunts so you know when they return, but also be willing to go find new ones. It takes persistence, and a lot of hiking in the dark, and the average person should feel lucky if they get an elk with less than 5 days in the field.

Also, once you start finding elk, you'll get better at being able to find them regularly. It's really all about knowing their habits and preferred habitats. I agree with Buzz that some areas of Montana have gone downhill, but I also believe that other areas have only gotten better. While a mature six point is hard to find with a general tag, Montana elk hunting is still pretty awesome in my opinion.

When I found the fresh sign, I followed it along the ridge to an area of thick-ish timber and found all their beds. They were empty. Haha

I stayed at the top of the ridge about 600 yards from where I found the sign for almost 8 hours and didn’t see a thing. That’s what led me to think I was maybe doing something wrong. I walked both ways and the sign just stopped. No tracks that I could find. No idea where they went. Lol

My one suggestion to any hunters would be to stay in your glassing spot till dark. On a number of different elk hunts I have found bulls 5 min before shooting light ends. Sometimes pressured elk won't be out in the am at all, but if you can find them the night before you can make a plan to sneak into the area they came out of the next morning.

I hear you buddy. It can be tough finding them, especially when you smell 'em & see their sign all around. I'm a poor elk hunter at best, so I tend to view the activity with a grain of salt, but the discouragement is usually tempered with the fact that I'm not getting yelled at home for not picking up the dog poop. :)

IM incoming.

Hang in there man. It took me 4 hunts to finally succeed. I went on 3 archery hunts and had 50 close calls. I had came to full draw 5-6 times on good bulls and only shot 1 arrow (which was deflected off a branch I didn't notice and missed by a mile). When I finally drew a rifle tag for the area I wanted to hunt I shot a decent (relatively small) 6x5 on opening day at opening light. I walked up to that glorified raghorn.....dropped to my knees and about lost it. I was overcome with joy and emotion. I literally had tears in my eyes. The HUNDREDS of miles and hours had finally paid off. Stick with it, learn every bit you can, and it will pay off for you too. I got another opening day bull this season and it was almost as easy. Scout and learn as much as you can...it will start to pay off. Best of luck to you sir.

Also....make it about the chase....not the harvest. Take it all in.
Steve

Including archery season I've hunted 21 days and still haven't killed anything. Had opportunity with deer and screwed up a couple elk call ins. Perseverance and mental toughness is your greatest Ally. I killed my bull last year after blowing out the only elk I had seen all rifle season earlier that day. I was basically on my way back to the truck after sulking for a while and I said you know what...screw it. Hiked my ass all the way back across the mountain with 1.5 hr of shooting light left just to see if the herd doubled back on their escape route. I killed my bull on the complete opposite side of the mountain with 25min light left at 50 yards. Don't quit and be relentless with everything you do.

I probably would have started this topic after opening weekend if someone else hadn't done it first. Family member with a breaks bull tag, and we put LOTS of miles on the boots the weekend, and lots of time behind the binos, and saw one cow in three days. Feeling lots of pressure to find elk, but heard almost no shooting this weekend. 75 degrees on Saturday didn't help anything.

Keep telling myself it's a mental game, but these limited tags put a lot of pressure, especially when it's likely the last year hunting together for us for the foreseeable future. Have been waking up in the middle of the night and the first thought in my head is "where are those elk?".

I guess just keep knowing they are out there somewhere, and putting in the time and effort will pay off. It will for you too.

I don’t think your the only one feeling discouraged. Montana has had similar opening weekend seasons like this in 2013 and 2016; both years were in the 50-60’s and windy.
I drew a limited bull tag in 704 and we hunted our butts off in 5 days, and the only elk we seen were on private and remained on private, until they moved. I had several hunters tell me who had hunted this area prior how difficult the elk hunting was. In hindsight I would have hunted my normal general unit in western Montana, and probably seen more elk, because I know the terrain/elk habitats.
The elk will remain nocturnal until the weather changes, all you can hope for is for someone to bump a herd and push them too you, or get some snow. It’s still better than working and its great being in God’s country. That’s why success rates in Montana average about 10%. Good luck.

I don’t think your the only one feeling discouraged. Montana has had similar opening weekend seasons like this in 2013 and 2016; both years were in the 50-60’s and windy.
I drew a limited bull tag in 704 and we hunted our butts off in 5 days, and the only elk we seen were on private and remained on private, until they moved. I had several hunters tell me who had hunted this area prior how difficult the elk hunting was. In hindsight I would have hunted my normal general unit in western Montana, and probably seen more elk, because I know the terrain/elk habitats.
The elk will remain nocturnal until the weather changes, all you can hope for is for someone to bump a herd and push them too you, or get some snow. It’s still better than working and its great being in God’s country. That’s why success rates in Montana average about 10%. Good luck.

I walked both ways and the sign just stopped. No tracks that I could find. No idea where they went. Lol[/QUOTE]

This sounds pretty normal actually. You are probably being winded or heard and they vanish into the trees. Sign is what keeps me motivated because its just as good as seeing elk. (ALMOST) I would come up the ridge from the opposite direction if possible, keep at it and dont get discouraged. If there is fresh sign every time you go up there they are coming back still!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back