Caribou Gear Tarp

Federal public land transfer-Let's play offense for awhile!

MNElkNut

The recent thread about the NRA not taking a stand on the public land transfer got me to thinking about the other organizations out there and their stance. I think one of the ways to get the NRA and other groups that are on the sidelines right now into the battle (and hopefully on our side) is to put pressure on them from the other major players. How could a group hold out if most (all?) of their like minded groups take a stand? As soon as the snowball starts gathering momentum, they will have to join us or get run over. With all the threads and posts about the federal public land transfer issue, I am trying to come up with a way to go on the offensive and really bear some pressure on the other side. I am sick of being on the defensive and having to refute the stupidity of their insane arguments.

"The American Wildlife Conservation Partners (AWCP) is a consortium of 49 organizations that represents the interests of America’s 20 million hunters, their families and the economies of many rural communities." -From the Boone and Crockett website.

I don't know a lot about the AWCP, but the big names are there (RMEF, DU, PF, TRCP, B&C, NRA...yes, NRA, etc). It seems that this consortium is in a position to influence its members to take a public stance. Does anybody know much about AWCP? It seems like it is the brainchild of the Boone and Crockett club. Randy, have you thought about working with this consortium to get that snowball rolling down hill? I have to imagine, if half a dozen major organizations came out with a coordinated statement or position against transferring federal lands, it would make a huge difference.

A number of these groups acquire land for public access and it is transferred to the federal government. Just imagine how they would feel to have that land auctioned off! They need to get in this game. Am I missing something or why wouldn't they be all over this and stop this nonsense in its tracks?

Just an idea and certainly the details need to be worked out but I would like to see how the other side likes to have to play some defense! Thoughts on this?

I agree with you we need to get the big organizations and recreational manufacturers to stand up on these issues. The amount of money that hunting, fishing, atvs, snowmobilers,and others that use public land spend on there equipment is huge. If access to public land is lost you would think that would cause I drop in people engaging in these activities and be a big blow to the manufacturers of such equipment. I know people dont like losing money so it amazes me that big outdoor companies haven't voiced there opinion on the issue or at least not that I've heard. I'm not sure how to make noise on the issue but if we could get the snowball rolling I think it would gain alot of momentum in our direction.

I think you're on the right track here. Also, how about Cabela's, Bass Pro, REI (the Secretary of the Interior used to be their CEO for cripes sake), Columbia Sportswear, ammo makers, firearm manufacturers, ATV manufacturers, RV manufacturers, outfitters and guides, etc?

He's the manufacturers as well. I wonder if Big Fin has an idea why they haven't came out in force on this. Maybe something I haven't thought of?

Back