Federal government to eliminate funding for archery, hunter education in public schools

Hammsolo

Take action and click the link below. I am also working on a template for writing to your Senator and whoever else you can think of. If you haven’t watched Fresh Tracks Weekly Episode 51 you should. Please share with a friend. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

ACTION ALERT

My letter. Feel free to edit, share and send on.

Hello,

My name is Nick Hamm. I am a husband, father, teacher, conservationist, firearm and archery equipment owner, and outdoorsman. I was raised in rural Montana where I received Hunters Education in School. It taught me to respect firearms and archery equipment. It made me less dangerous to society. There is a move by some for more education around firearms. Some believe that you should need a class to own a firearm. Isn’t this a move away from the direction? Have we forgotten that information is power and that classrooms are an area of influence? Do we not want safer and more respectful citizens?

I am a Nationally Board Certified Teacher, National Archery in Schools Program Instructor, and recent Eastern Washington Teacher of the Month. Students learn a peaceful and fun hobby in a safe manner that many would never experience without the class. Students are taught respect and care for other life. This is not a place of adrenaline or machismo, but of learning and character.

What will be the outcome of losing this funding and these classes? Will our youth be safer? Will mass shootings stop? Is there any evidence of a link between these classes and mass shootings? I have searched online and found none. Please share this data with me if you have it.

I’m writing to request that you ask Department of Education Secretary Miguel A. Cardona to restore funding eligibility for long-standing educational and enrichment programs, especially for archery and hunter education classes, for thousands of children who rely on these programs to develop life skills and build self-esteem.

Through distribution of recent guidance documents, the Department of Education mistakenly believes that the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (BSCA) included language that specifically precludes archery and hunting-centric enrichment programs. This interpretation not only contradicts congressional intent and runs afoul with specific provisions added to ensure the continuation of archery education and other enrichment programs, but now seeks to “take away” learning opportunities that promote student mental health, instead of expanding them.

Thank you, Nick Hamm

Elections have consequences.We deserve this one. Hopefully the defunding of these programs holds, maybe that’ll be a gentle reminder for those that cast votes for party of public lands.
Play

They’re great for public lands though.🙄

Last edited:
Elections have consequences.We deserve this one. Hopefully the defunding of these programs holds, maybe that’ll be a gentle reminder for those that cast votes for party of public lands.
Play

They’re great for public lands though.🙄
I will vote for public lands every time over fed funded hunter safety.

Does anyone know how much federal money is used for this type of education in public schools?

From what I have been able to find out- outside of some rural Alaska school districts. I haven’t been able to find any evidence that the federal government has ever allocated a single penny for this in the lower 48.
That’s where my minds been at this whole time… I PAID money to the government to take those classes- it wasn’t offered to me on taxpayer dollars through school, in ANY state I went to school in. CA TX MO MT- none.

I taught Hunter Ed for 25 years without any funding or support from the Federal Government.

Where has the government supported any Hunter Education?

Last edited:
I don’t think fed ever did.
In this day and age one has to discern carefully in order to make sense of what is info & disinformation.

That’s where my minds been at this whole time… I PAID money to the government to take those classes- it wasn’t offered to me on taxpayer dollars through school, in ANY state I went to school in. CA TX MO MT- none.
I’m curious about you paying for your hunters Ed class. Did you take the class in person or did you take parts or all of it online? In Iowa, we can only charge for in person classes if there is a facility rental or we provide lunch to the students. For online courses there is a $25 fee but that money goes to a third party who administers the website.

As a hunters Ed instructor I turn in my class roster, as well as my hours for teaching class and administration hours. The state is reimbursed by the Usfws through the Pittman Robertson fund. I don’t know the formula for how they are reimbursed but it’s based on the number of students, and the instructors hours.

I’m curious about you paying for your hunters Ed class. Did you take the class in person or did you take parts or all of it online? In Iowa, we can only charge for in person classes if there is a facility rental or we provide lunch to the students. For online courses there is a $25 fee but that money goes to a third party who administers the website.

As a hunters Ed instructor I turn in my class roster, as well as my hours for teaching class and administration hours. The state is reimbursed by the Usfws through the Pittman Robertson fund. I don’t know the formula for how they are reimbursed but it’s based on the number of students, and the instructors hours.
Is this taught as part of a public school curriculum? Doesn't the ban limit itself to classes in public schools?

Recently, the USFWS service has made $8 million peryear of PR funds available for hunter education efforts based on changes made by Congress in the previous session, IIRC.

So the Fed absolutely does have funding going to hunter education now.

Stupid rule made by someone with no working knowledge of how these programs work.

Is this taught as part of a public school curriculum? Doesn't the ban limit itself to classes in public schools?

not all schools have hunter education in their ciriculum.

Interestingly enough, CO passed hunter ed in the Jr. High Curriculum in 2021 or 2022, IIRC.

Recently, the USFWS service has made $8 million peryear of PR funds available for hunter education efforts based on changes made by Congress in the previous session, IIRC.

So the Fed absolutely does have funding going to hunter education now.

Stupid rule made by someone with no working knowledge of how these programs work.
Right, but the rule doesn't apply to PR funds--it is specific to spending ESEA dollars on hunter ed, archery, etc.

I teach two hunters Ed classes in public schools from two different school districts as part of their curriculum. Both are in the 6th grade, are free to the students and free to the school. One school usually has around 80 students and the other has around 60 that participate. I do not work for the schools, but I do teach hunters Ed as part of my job , in the eyes of the iowa DNR I am a volunteer instructor but my employer allows me to teach the classes on work time. At the smaller school there is a teacher and an administrator who are certified hunter Ed instructors and they help with the class.

I teach two hunters Ed classes in public schools from two different school districts as part of their curriculum. Both are in the 6th grade, are free to the students and free to the school. One school usually has around 80 students and the other has around 60 that participate. I do not work for the schools, but I do teach hunters Ed as part of my job , in the eyes of the iowa DNR I am a volunteer instructor but my employer allows me to teach the classes on work time. At the smaller school there is a teacher and an administrator who are certified hunter Ed instructors and they help with the class.
Thanks. Even so, it sounds like PR funds aren't part of the monies being blocked.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back