Fearless Puppy and Long Walks...

Big Sky

Sorry there won't be any dead coyotes in this post. They will have to come later as my dog gets older. For now it's time to train and spend time together. It's all part of the hunt down the road.

The town I live in is called "Belt" it is named after a belt-like rock formation that encircles a large butte near town. To reach the belt around the butte is about a 5 mile hike from my front door. Since moving here I have wanted to hike up to the belt around the butte and see it for myself. I finally got all the different land owners between my house and the butte to agree to let me hike in there. So yesterday along with my youngest son Hunter and my new mountain cur puppy "Bear" we headed out.

Here I am with bear. The butte is in the background. I love spending time outdoors with this little guy. He's hell on the house, but great in the hills. We still have a mile or so to go to reach the "belt".
Troy%20Belt%20ButteC_zpsku0hnggb.jpg

Here Bear and I are standing on top of part of the rock formation. That little puppy is fearless and will climb anything.
Troy%20Belt%20ButteD_zpsc1jdy0gc.jpg

Bear and I from another angle taking a little break before we start our decent back out.
Troy%20Belt%20ButteB_zpsjpk7om22.jpg

My youngest son Hunter as we work our way back down off the butte. The rock "belt" formation can be easily seen in the back ground.
Hunter%20Belt%20ButteB_zpskxltsrb9.jpg

All in all it was a fun hike and quality time spent with my son and the new puppy. Here is a photo of the butte as we looked back. We still had over a mile to go before reaching home and we had to hurry as the sun was going down quickly along with the temperatures. We made it home fine and I'm not even sore today. So I'm a happy 50 year old fat man. :)
Belt%20Butte%204-16-15_zpsvrkwzxyi.jpg

One last pic of me heading for home. As a side note hikes like this do a body good. Trying to keep up with my puppy has been even better. I've lost 15 lbs in the last few weeks largely due to trying to keep up with the little bugger.
Troy%20Belt%20ButteA_zpscrknjezi.jpg

Nice pics and great day for a hike.

I love that area.

We have a place south of Raynesford so we're sorta neighbors.

Be up there next weekend!

I kept an eye out for snakes but didn't see or hear any. It's just a matter of time before we cross paths. I sure wish this area didn't have so many stupid rattle-me snakes!

FishN4Eyes, that is some beautiful country south of Raynesford especially up Kibby Canyon. I've hiked all over the south side of the highway between Armington and Raynesford. Not too much of that country within 5 miles of the highway that I haven't left a boot track and it's all really neat country. Here is one of my favorite places south of Raynesford.
Len%20Backus%20rifle%2065-284_zps5cl3aqbd.jpg

You ever get a chance to hike up to the top of Square butte
Take it. Crown butte, by Fort Shaw is said to have one of the oldest eagles nest still in use. National geographic did a show on it Both are a strenuous hike but worth the effort.
Still think you needed to call in a coyote or catch a trout to make it complete..:hump:

Coyotes-R-Us, well we did see a lot of mule deer and my son did find his first shed antler so that should count for something. I used to hunt land that butted up against the south end of Square Butte. Unfortunately the landowner died so I no longer have access from that direction anyway. I think there is someone that has BM land to the East that might let a guy hike up there. I would like to make it to the top of that butte some day.

For those of you not familiar with Square Butte here is a photograph I took of it a few years ago. I'm sure it would be worth the hike to reach the top.
LandscapeB_zpsarm4n1r1.jpg

Great looking area and photos. I told my wife when our youngest left for college that I didn't want anymore pets, but if your weight loss was that good I better reconsider ....... in fact maybe I should get two pups.:eek:

I gotta admit I clicked looking for fish, but good family-time is worth the diversion from fishing, sometimes.

FishN4Eyes, that is some beautiful country south of Raynesford especially up Kibby Canyon. I've hiked all over the south side of the highway between Armington and Raynesford. Not too much of that country within 5 miles of the highway that I haven't left a boot track and it's all really neat country. Here is one of my favorite places south of Raynesford.
Len%20Backus%20rifle%2065-284_zps5cl3aqbd.jpg

Nice photo.

I love that country.

We're east of Limestone Canyon a few miles so I'm familiar with how your picture looks.

Keep killing those coyotes, too many in that country!

Great pics and a cool pup! Since both of my boys have been smitten by the movie Ol' Yeller, I'm pretty sure what they would've named Bear... ;)

1 Pointer, just as a side note. In the movie Old Yeller Disney used a yellow lab, but in actuality in the book, Old Yeller was a Mountain Cur, just like this dog.

1 Pointer, just as a side note. In the movie Old Yeller Disney used a yellow lab, but in actuality in the book, Old Yeller was a Mountain Cur, just like this dog.
I didn't realize the movie part, but I knew Yeller was supposed to be a cur. Folks in this part of the country use them for treeing both raccoons and squirrels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back