PEAX Equipment

Favorite turkey shell?

sigpros

Since I have been out of the turkey hunting game for about 10 years. Thinking about getting back into it. What's everyone shooting now days? 12 and 20 gauge. Heck I might even break out the 16ga

Thanks

I like Remington nitro turkey loads myself. I shoot 12 gauge, usually 3.5 inch. I like to use a #6 as the first load in the chamber backed up by #4. The #4 shot have a better chance of breaking a wing or penetrating the body if the turkey gets airborne after the first shot. That being said, I have also used a #2 load and body shot the turkey. That pretty much wilts them. :D

Man was I amazed when I went to the mothership(Cabelas) before turkey season. People pay $30 for 5 shells? I picked up a box of the 12$ for 10 Federal and killed two longbeards. Actually, I just took one off the smoker!

I've been using some really old Federal 3.5" #4 (i've killed probably 5-6 birds) ever since my supply of 3" Remington Duplex loads dried up (the best patterning stuff I've shot in my 835). Like mentioned before shoot what patterns best with your shotgun/choke combination. I fail to see the need for expensive shells so I'd start with the $10/box stuff.

I was dumb enough to buy some on sale Federal Prairie Storm 12 Gauge # 5 2 3/4". Is ridiculously way too hot for pheasants - must have been made for idiots who want to shoot way beyond their capabilities.

Thought, hey - how about using it on turkeys. Pretty lethal at fairly long range with a full choke out of my old Mossberg 5500.

I now have enough turkey loads for the rest of my life due to a misguided purchase.

What you use depends on how close you can get to them and how your gun patterns. I use 3 1/2-inch mostly, but if you call them close, any standard bird shot will kill them just fine. There are a lot of choices and each load/gun behaves differently.

I have used the same shell for years.Remington Nitro Mags.I have only bought two boxes.One shell per turkey...almost ready for a new box.;)

The new Winchester Longbeard extremes. 1.75 oz #6 thru a .675 Kicks. Best load ever and been patterning turkey loads for 30+ years.

What you use depends on how close you can get to them and how your gun patterns. I use 3 1/2-inch mostly, but if you call them close, any standard bird shot will kill them just fine. There are a lot of choices and each load/gun behaves differently.

this^^^^^^:)

I use Remington "turkey" loads. 2 3/4" #5's with 1.25oz shot. I've killed several toms at 45 yards with them. I would try a few and find some that pattern well in your gun.

I might have to get a new turkey gun you know "need" one since I haven't been in so long and so much has changed. I have some of those old remington duplex loads and I'll pick up a couple others to try. I will look into that heavy shot for the 20ga

I use the Hevi shot blended. I like the way it patterns in my gun, Remington 870, and it will shoot effectivly up to 50 yards.

Back