Favorite turkey shell?

sigpros

Since I have been out of the turkey hunting game for about 10 years. Thinking about getting back into it. What's everyone shooting now days? 12 and 20 gauge. Heck I might even break out the 16ga

Thanks

I like Remington nitro turkey loads myself. I shoot 12 gauge, usually 3.5 inch. I like to use a #6 as the first load in the chamber backed up by #4. The #4 shot have a better chance of breaking a wing or penetrating the body if the turkey gets airborne after the first shot. That being said, I have also used a #2 load and body shot the turkey. That pretty much wilts them. :D

Man was I amazed when I went to the mothership(Cabelas) before turkey season. People pay $30 for 5 shells? I picked up a box of the 12$ for 10 Federal and killed two longbeards. Actually, I just took one off the smoker!

I've been using some really old Federal 3.5" #4 (i've killed probably 5-6 birds) ever since my supply of 3" Remington Duplex loads dried up (the best patterning stuff I've shot in my 835). Like mentioned before shoot what patterns best with your shotgun/choke combination. I fail to see the need for expensive shells so I'd start with the $10/box stuff.

I was dumb enough to buy some on sale Federal Prairie Storm 12 Gauge # 5 2 3/4". Is ridiculously way too hot for pheasants - must have been made for idiots who want to shoot way beyond their capabilities.

Thought, hey - how about using it on turkeys. Pretty lethal at fairly long range with a full choke out of my old Mossberg 5500.

I now have enough turkey loads for the rest of my life due to a misguided purchase.

What you use depends on how close you can get to them and how your gun patterns. I use 3 1/2-inch mostly, but if you call them close, any standard bird shot will kill them just fine. There are a lot of choices and each load/gun behaves differently.

I have used the same shell for years.Remington Nitro Mags.I have only bought two boxes.One shell per turkey...almost ready for a new box.;)

The new Winchester Longbeard extremes. 1.75 oz #6 thru a .675 Kicks. Best load ever and been patterning turkey loads for 30+ years.

What you use depends on how close you can get to them and how your gun patterns. I use 3 1/2-inch mostly, but if you call them close, any standard bird shot will kill them just fine. There are a lot of choices and each load/gun behaves differently.

this^^^^^^:)

I use Remington "turkey" loads. 2 3/4" #5's with 1.25oz shot. I've killed several toms at 45 yards with them. I would try a few and find some that pattern well in your gun.

I might have to get a new turkey gun you know "need" one since I haven't been in so long and so much has changed. I have some of those old remington duplex loads and I'll pick up a couple others to try. I will look into that heavy shot for the 20ga

I use the Hevi shot blended. I like the way it patterns in my gun, Remington 870, and it will shoot effectivly up to 50 yards.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back