PEAX Equipment

Favorite reloading powders for hunting

DamascusSteel

Did a quick search and didn't see anything like this. But what is yalls favorite reloading powder for hunting, I know different calibers require different style of powders. But in general what is yalls favorite, go to powder and why?

Whatever works best for the given combination, but for hunting it’s always a temperature stable powder, like Hodgdon Extreme, IMR Enduron, or some of the Vihtavuori’s.

Whatever works well. For me, I only have one caliber I'm reloading for (for hunting purposes at least), so I use what that rifle likes the best (IMR4064 for 30-06). If you have multiple rifles that you are reloading for, you can either deal with the headache of trying to stock the right powder for each load you need or deal with the headache of trying to find a powder that works acceptable well across all of the calibers you are loading for. If most of your calibers are relatively similar, the second option would probably be easier.

H4350, h1000, rl 22, rl 16, rl 33, and 4451, all have performed consistently in a variety of altitudes and temperatures.

Last edited:
H4350, h1000, rl 22, rl 16, rl 33, and 4451, all have performed consistently in a variety of altitudes and temperatures.
For as much as I want to use H1000 I have never gotten real good results in anything 257Wby, 7mm, 300wm to shoot it which kinda blows my mind.

I pick a temp stable series and work with them only...i.e. one fast, one med, one slow in Enduron or Hodgdon Extreme. That way I don't have to keep a pile of different powders on hand. It's a little boring but it helps tame reloading OCD and fosters focus on precision techniques that I think tend to matter as much or more. Much easier to stock up when there's only 3-4 powders you need, and I've never had a problem getting hunting accuracy with some tinkering.

Varget, RL15, or H4895, in that order, for me. But IMR 4350 & 4831 are solid for lager cases.

I shoot my rifles in all weather conditions, and keep dope sheets.
Temp stability not a huge issue for me.
I also shoot many different cartridges, of different calibers, with different weight bullets.
So there is no one size fits all powder for me.

H1000, IMR4064 even though I have plenty of both for awhile I have picked up a pound of different powders to try out and maybe I will find one that works better and is easier to get.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back