PEAX Equipment

Favorite NON-Premium Bullet

Growing up, when a new rifle was purchased, you bought a a box of Winchester’s and a box of Remington’s. You kept buying whatever shot the best. And it was always 150gr in a 30-06 seems like. That’s pretty much what everyone had for years.

$19/ box of whatever worked fine for my old hand me down Rem 760 30-06. Purchased a #1 25-06 years later & the same was true.

But then I saw a guy with some ballistic tips...yep, that pretty silver tipped bullet was gateway ammo for me.

More calibers, fancier Field & Stream ads, Dave Petzal testimonials....this new rockstar Newberg cat...handloading...slide-rule rifle scopes...hunting forum enablers..

...been feeding the habit ever since.

For shooting paper and lighter skinned animals, the Hornady SST's & Nosler BT's in 243, 270 & 308 work well, the SST bullets do disintegrate like a varmint bullet,(the Nosler BT's are a much tougher bullet than a lot of people give them credit for), but they get the job done. I know some out there want complete pass thru, but it isn't necessary. And on the other side of things, for a premium bullet, I've had very good luck with the Barnes TTSX's.

Speer 55gn SP’s were my “go to” bullets in my 223, many moons ago when I was shooting kangaroos for a living. Went through 4 - 5 thousand each season and always dependable results on head shots. The price was always reasonable and I just couldn’t justify going to the more expensive offerings. The 130gn HP is especially “dynamic” on small pigs and wild dogs in the 308.
I’ve recently loaded some Speer 350gn in the 416Ruger. Hoping to try on some bigger critters here but alas not yet had the opportunity.

Speer Hot Cor in my .30-06.
Sierra Pro Hunter in my daughter's .243.

They work. And hold together well at the speeds I push them.

That is all.

I'll go ahead and go on record as liking Interlocks. Thats a pretty tough, cost-effective bullet I've shot through a lot of animals and never seen one fragment or pencil through. Factory loaded ammo is usually very accurate, although I have admittedly had a little trouble finding accuracy when hand-loading them.

A little late to the conversation here but I agree with you Brian. Hornady gives you a free box of interlocks with dies you buy so I've loaded about a hundred at this point. I haven't had a chance to shoot them out of the '06, but they'll shoot under an inch in my MB.

I'll also put in a note about whatever bullet is loaded in Federal blue box. I've killed lots of deer with those and have had no problems with performance.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back