Caribou Gear Tarp

Favorite meat

duckhunt

Was watching a show the other day wich the host stated that elk is the best table fare. Again I am curious on opinions.What is everybodys favorite meat and favorite way to cook it? Deer is the only big game Ive ever eaten. I like the backstrap seasoned and cooked slow over charcoal and hickory chips. Also ground goose meat mixed with pork trim made into snack sticks.

I think fin should chime in on this considering he shoots one of everything every year. He has many options.

Dall sheep is probably my favorite of the big game meats I've had the opportunity to cook (from moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, wild boar from TX, bison, and some feral species from hawaii). Can't take anything away from the wapiti though, its top table fare for most and currently 75% my game meat intake. Can't say anyting about caribou or mtn goat as I haven't tried those YET.

I should add for game birds, dusky (blue) grouse are my personal favorite. Ruffed would be #2 in game bird category.

Last edited:
The nice thing about wild game is the variety. I've probably eaten more Elk than anything else.
in decending order of desireability...

Tule elk
RM elk
Whitetail deer
Antelope
Mule Deer
Blacktail Deer
Commercial bison
Canned Alligator
Wild Hog Sow
Quail
Grouse
Chukar
Wild turkey
Pheasant
Duck

Mtn Goat is Pretty solid table fare, a bit more marbling than most deer species. No complaints about Mtn Goat.

Moose is far and away my favorite game meat to eat, and luckily there is plenty each time.
Favorite game bird would be Huns.

I would really like to sample some wild bison sometime... Commercial bison isn't bad at all, but I think "free range" bison would be pretty awesome.

That's like asking who is my favorite SI swimsuit model..........you cannot pick one!

I heard sheep is something else. Never had it. Waiting for Bambi to send me a care package.

I love elk. An antelope backstrap is dam good. We make our own italian sausage that I really like for pattying up burgers. I love it all.

Everything is great: Antelope, Whitetail, Moose, Elk, Sandhill Crane, Muleys, Bison, Bear. Love it all

I would have to go with Moose. A friend of mine shot a cow this last year and she was the best wild game I have ever had. Cut it with a fork and great flavor.

Well, I've only shot deer, pig and squirrel. I love backstraps and squirrel stew, but they're all great as jerky!

My boss shoots everything at one of those Texas "Pick-N-Pull" ranch high fence shooting zoos, and I gotta say, bacon wrapped Axis tenderloins are probably one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life. I love elk too, but I've never shot one.

Emrah

Bighorn Ewe is my favorite . I enjoy Antelope and whitetail , But elk is a staple in my house. I Had my Mnt goat turned into Breakfast sausage its great. Love some wild turkey kabobs in the spring to. HUNT

Definitely moose, if properly aged. The fat in moose has a lower melting temperature than most venison, so it stays melted in your mouth and does not wax up like deer or elk. I think it may be the best meat I have eaten bar none.

Antelope is what took my mom from someone who would not touch venison to enjoying it. Very good.

With that said I love it all. I've eaten all four varieties of NA sheep, mountain goat, moose, elk, caribou (very good), bison, blacktail deer, mule deer, Columbia whitetail deer, rocky mountain elk, roosevelt elk, antelope, black bear.

Last edited:
The nice thing about wild game is the variety. I've probably eaten more Elk than anything else.
in decending order of desireability...

Tule elk
RM elk
Whitetail deer
Antelope
Mule Deer
Blacktail Deer
Commercial bison
Canned Alligator
Wild Hog Sow
Quail
Grouse
Chukar
Wild turkey
Pheasant
Duck

I agree wholeheartedly with duck being on the bottom. However that presents quite the dilemma because duck hunting is probably my favorite thing to do.

Elk sirloin or round tenderized, breaded, and fried.
Elk burger...on a bun or by itself, grilled or skillet.
Elk Backstrap and tenderloin medallions grilled medium rare.
Dove beer battered & deep fried.
Deep fried corn meal (or Zatarain's) dredged crappie...tied with dove.
Chicken Fried Whitetail
Chicken Fried Muley

In that order.....and.the aorta's fine.

Last edited:
Well, I've only taken elk, mule deer, and whitetail, and I'd put them in that order. But mule deer tenderloins from a high country doe pan fried about two hours after I shot her in some garlic butter with salt and pepper was maybe the best wild game meal I ever ate. I'm anxious to try moose and caribou as well. Based on descriptions moose may jump to the top of my list...ready to find out for myself!

Elk sirloin or round tenderized, breaded, and fried.
Elk burger...on a bun or by itself, grilled or skillet.
Elk Backstrap and tenderloin medallions grilled medium rare.
Dove beer battered & deep fried.
Deep fried corn meal (or Zatarain's) dredged crappie...tied with dove.
Chicken Fried Whitetail
Chicken Fried Muley

In that order.....and.the aorta's fine.

Pretty sure you could toss a 'yote back strap in that mix and not know the difference. :D

I do love a good chicken friend steak though... mmmmmm I agree elk is probably the best chicken fried game there is.

On the grill, dall/caribou/moose 3 way tie for me. The wife prefers the sheep, but I think its because she knows how far she walked to get the steak.

mmmsheepandshoes.jpg

Back