Favorite "in-the-field" meals

pointingdogsrule

Soon to be headed to Wyoming for antelope. I park at my camp site so carrying stuff is of no problem. I like to eat GOOD after a long days hunt. In the past I have made hamburger helper type meals on a larger cook stove & eggs and sausage for breakfast.

Some where I have read of meals people make at home before the trip and then thaw out at camp and just heat it up. Just wondering if you guys have any "favorite meals" ... recipes that you take along. Just looking to change.

Thanks.

good luck to all
the dog

I freeze stew and green chili and red chili in gallon ziplock freezer bags. They store flat nicely that way in a cooler and thaw out relatively quick when you want to eat them.

I make ham and bean soup, freeze it in a gal container and pour it when needed after a long day of hunting. Something I am going to try this year is carne asada. Just throw it on a hot skillet and wrap in tortillas with cheese and eat.:)

Homemade tamales smothered in green chili topped with diced tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream. Dos Equis Amber.

Shredded BBQ elk roast on a hoagie bun topped with coleslaw, pickled okra, cheetos, Fat Tire.

I make everything ahead of the trip, more time hunting less time cooking. I'm headed up to Wyoming Thursday, travel safe dog.

Potato soup, chilli, goulash ,Taco meat .... But this year instead of cheap sweets for breakfast my wife made us up 24 breakfast burritos wrapped in foil and froze half and just replenished the unthawed ones as needed but as we got dressed in the morning we threw a couple on the skillet then we had a good hot breakfast on the ride to wherever that days death march took off from.... Best idea my wife as ever had except for marrying me lol

Homemade tamales smothered in green chili topped with diced tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream..

You making those tamales out of pork or beef? I recently made a batch using half pork loin and half antelope; fine stuff. There's a lady and her son who sell homemade tamales in the parking lot of a Mexican grocery store somewhere over about 70th and North Federal in Denver which are pretty good, lots of meat and not all massa, both red and green chile.

I use a Vacume sealer, and make up some of my favorites weeks before the hunt. Seal them in boiling bags & freeze.
Keep a pot of water on the Coalman, and you can have a great, homemade meal in less than ten minuets.

Some of my favorites;

Jambalaya
Slow smoked pork shoulder in spicy BBQ sauce
Beef stew
Chili Verde, chili colorado, beef ranchero
Caldo camarones (shrimp soup)
Steak with roasted red taters and grilled red bells

My favorite meal is fresh tenderloins off the animal that donated them earlier in the day!! :D

Hobos, make 1/3 pound burgers, slice up onion, potato and carrots. put about three potato slices in the bottom of some heavy duty foil then the burger and finish off with the rest. wrap up the foil and when ready to cook I usually use some hot coals and put it right on them. takes about 45 min. Very good

I usually make breakfast burritos (sausage, egg, hashbrown, green pepper, onion) before I go and then heat 'em up every morning.

Other than that, I cook everything else on-site.

Homemade tamales smothered in green chili

Now we're talking. We'll take frozen homemade tamales with red chili, potatoes, and I like to throw in some scrambled eggs (any time of the day)... I could actually eat that meal for the rest of my life. Got to send the wife to my grandma's "school of cooking".

Make up some mix of most of what it listed here some weeks before first hunt hits. Usually 3-4 concoctions that I freeze in 1 and 2 person portions. All with heavy dose of elkderlope meat as I call it when asked "What's in this?"

Great way to start clearing out the freezer is to make camp food and freeze. Just stay away from the hambuger helper and start making any old thing that you like, skipping processed food packaged "ingredients" and you will have the good food you like. Chilis are the most efficient for using up meat since they are almost all meat although I add stuff I would not usually add just to increase nutrient value.

Recent years have premade green chile cheeseburgers out of game meat and frozen. GREAT lunch on the trail and zero cooking or prep other than slapping into bagel or bread.

I wanna hunt with the guy who brings in gallons of gravy. i have been roughing it and did not know it.

OP is right to look for a non hamburger helper option . That stuff just ain't right. My dog won't eat it :D and he will eat freshly puked up elk liver and that is all I need to know.

Last edited:
Wyoming Hamberger n' Beans
Take 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of Hamburger fry it up in pieces like you would make for a taco or a little larger. When done frying to your liking, drain off grease and pour in 1 can of pork and beans-real pork and beans is best. Simmer for about 10 minutes, ready to eat.

Wyoming Swiss Steaks
Cook up Hamburger patties about 2 or 3 inches across. Fry to your liking, drain off grease and take patties out of pan. Next add 1 can Campbells tomato soup and 1 can Campbells cream of mushroom soup. Mix the cans together with about 1/4 can water. Stir well and pour in Hamburger patties simmer for about 10 minutes, laddeling soup over top of patties from time to time, ready to eat.

A few meals that are always on my menu are steak fejitas,chinook salmon with fried potatoes & green beans. Prior to the trip I put a roast on the smoker with hickery & cherry or apple wood,This is for the french dips, They always go over well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back