Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Favorite Gear/Accessories?

Coop

I didn't look too hard, but I couldn't find another generalized favorites thread. Iv'e got an itch to spend a little bit of money on something handy that I can use when I'm hunting, fishing, backpacking, etc..., so I'm just curious what everyones favorite piece of gear or accessory is? To get it started, I would say that mine would be either OnX or my trekking poles...I rarely do anything outdoors without either.

A good pocket knife, a nice swinging lightweight 20 ga shotgun, great boots, good quality shell, great socks, lightweight headlamp, lots of little things that make me happy . . .

IF by accessory you mean something that you can do with out, then I guess mine would be my fleece windproof balaclava.

If you mean something that I refuse to go on a hunt without but isn't major gear, probably my Alaska Guide Bino Harness is up there. So handy and has all my little stuff in it.

Hard for me to just pick one, so i'll put them in order of my top three:

1) FHF Bino Harness with rangefinder pouch
2) OnXMap Chip
3) Trekking Poles

So much gear to choose from, and type of hunt, conditions play a roll in it. I'd say for me beyond the obvious boots, etc...
1. Merino clothing
2. Climbing into nice down sleeping bag after long night packing meat out.
3. Jetboil - piping hot coffee in 2mins in the morning

If I had some x-tra bucks, I would truly look at really good boots & socks. My absolute worst days afield hunting & in the Marines were the times my feet were either cold as Hell, or hurt like Hell. At least in one situation I could just say F*ck It and go back to camp....

Or a good GPS.

Besides the obvious stuff used for hunting. I would say a 20"x36" sheet of 1/2 foam padding. Pack it at all times. Keeps you dry while glassing, keeps you warm when sitting in snow/frozen ground, use it for a pad when stuck out all night with out tent/pad, lounging at camp, put under your pad for higher "R" value, etc.

My little jewel is quite inexpensive, but very very important for me. Permethrin treated clothing. I hate ticks, and I've seen first hand the destruction that Lyme's causes. I am determined to not let that happen to me.

And I almost never go out without my folding chair (double foam seat, adjustable back support straps) whether fishing or hunting. Like Bambistew says it keeps me out of contact with the ground, and helps me hold tight more comfortably whether waiting on the turkeys to come around the corner of the field, or glassing a far slope.

Swarovski binoculars, White's Boots, and pack horses.

Whites Outdoorsman boots with the Claw lug sole!

Plenty of TP and scent free butt wipes!

Headlamp with extra batteries.

Pocket knife, always a pocket knife! Benchmade mini-barrage GREAT KNIFE!

My favorite thing I've bought for hunting out west is a retractable lanyard for my rangefinder. I love that thing. I always hated having to dig it out of a pocket or having it hanging around my neck.

I carry my rifle in a system like the Kifaru Gunbearer. I bought mine a long time ago from Cabela's, but the concept is the same. Really like having both arms free. I was originally very hesitant with the velcro on the upper retainer. I was worried the noise from undoing the velcro would disturb the game. Interesting, but the noise does not seem to bother the animals.

General hunting: onX maps and merino wool layers. Midwest archery: Lone Wolf climber, which i carry out on most hunts and it greatly increased success rate in archery season due to versatility and mobility. Ice fishing: Vexilar. Open water fishing: sunblock...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back