Favorite Elk Steak Marinade

mmmm backstrap and tenderloin.

1069172_10200604660333690_685674463_n.jpg

Nicely cooked!

Had some Whitetail backstrap last weekend. Wasn't as big, but it sure was tasty!!

Marinated with http://www.dakotabuckaroo.com/ spicy

While all these recipes look great,there's nothing quite like a lite dusting of flour a little salt and pepper and some hot peanut oil in a cast iron skillet.

I actually take some of the chuck cuts of elk and slice them thin and run the through the cuber. I'll flour and eggwash and panko bread them and cook them in bacon grease until golden brown, then I'll make a white gravy out of the bacon grease and there you have it...chicken fried elk steaks

If you want a killer camp meal, pack some tortillas, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime, chili powder, garlic, cayenne and jalapenos.

When you get an animal down take the brisket and what you can of the flank. Put them in a plastic bag and pound them with your splitting maul to tenderize. Then put them in a bath of lime juice, cayenne, garlic, chili powder.

While they are in the bath, make some pico de gallo with the tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, jalapenos and lime juice.

After 20-30 minutes pull the meat and grill it an a retardedly high heat for about a minute or two each side, remove and let rest while you heat up the tortillas.

Slice meat thinly, add to warm tortilla, add pico, crack second beer (you should have opened your first when you started) and enjoy.

I actually take some of the chuck cuts of elk and slice them thin and run the through the cuber. I'll flour and eggwash and panko bread them and cook them in bacon grease until golden brown, then I'll make a white gravy out of the bacon grease and there you have it...chicken fried elk steaks

That's how my wifes family does it John. I'm not a big fan of eggwash. Also there is something about cooking it in cast iron,my wife will try to slip some by me on occasion that's been cooked in her modern cookware and I can tell it every time.

I'm slightly surprised there's been no mention of Montreal Steak Seasoning, from Costco. Just finished an elk burger "steak", w/ sauteed red onion and chiles, topped w/ swiss cheese, along with spanish rice and organic beets! Anyway, my wife finally taught me to lightly season the meat, & then put that side down in the (cast iron!) pan, with another dusting on top.
And now I get to burn it off, starting harvest this afternoon! Been holding off due to the daily threat of rain, but at least the weather man was wrong as usual, until last evening! If I'd started yesterday, last night would have been a monsoon instead of a shower, so...!

I'm slightly surprised there's been no mention of Montreal Steak Seasoning, from Costco. Just finished an elk burger "steak", w/ sauteed red onion and chiles, topped w/ swiss cheese, along with spanish rice and organic beets! Anyway, my wife finally taught me to lightly season the meat, & then put that side down in the (cast iron!) pan, with another dusting on top.
And now I get to burn it off, starting harvest this afternoon! Been holding off due to the daily threat of rain, but at least the weather man was wrong as usual, until last evening! If I'd started yesterday, last night would have been a monsoon instead of a shower, so...!

I cooked some WT backstrap that way last weekend. Pretty good. I used the montreal on Tri-tip when I got low&slo. Pretty good that way.

Chicago A1 Steakhouse! I've tried hundreds and this one is the best IMO.

I know some of you probably frown upon adding anything to a clean cut of Elk steak but I really like to grill/cook and enjoy trying different spices/sauces/marinades....Anybody want to share some of their favorites? I just tried this one a few days ago and really liked it on the grill!

1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Worchesterhire Sauce
1 1/2 Tblspoons Garlic Powder
3 Tblspoons dried basil
1 1/2 tblspoons dried parsley flakes

Let sit for 3-4 hours in a container in the fridge

Tried it yesterday with a few elk steaks on the grill and it turned out great. Will have to remember it to switch it up in the future.

We like to inject ours with a little teriyaki sauce, let sit about 30 minutes and put them on the grill. Simple and fast and does not take way from the flavor of the elk.

alwayshunting,

Glad it turned out good for you! It's nice to try some different things once in a while especially when you are cooking for lots of people. I have been on a grilling kick this summer where we will do elk steaks with a fresh side salad, grilled loaded baked potato (cheese,sour cream, fried bacon bits), and grilled sweet corn. There is something about eating an entire meal that is FRESH and you grew/harvested everything!

We use a modified rub from the RMEF cookbook that calls for a generous amount of Ancho Chiles. Can't remember it off hand but it's low sodium and works great for roasts, steaks, jerky, etc.

Last edited:
My favorite elk steak is one that isn't tough,since most times I eat a bull.:D

The bull I killed a year ago today is the best eating elk I've ever had, and I've eaten a lot of elk. Jack O'Connor wrote that the toughest elk he ever had was a spike, the most tender was a 6 point bull. My wife makes a nice BBQ rub and sauce, some sort of family recipe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back