Caribou Gear Tarp

Favorite Elk Steak Marinade

BlakeA

I know some of you probably frown upon adding anything to a clean cut of Elk steak but I really like to grill/cook and enjoy trying different spices/sauces/marinades....Anybody want to share some of their favorites? I just tried this one a few days ago and really liked it on the grill!

1/3 Cup Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Worchesterhire Sauce
1 1/2 Tblspoons Garlic Powder
3 Tblspoons dried basil
1 1/2 tblspoons dried parsley flakes

Let sit for 3-4 hours in a container in the fridge

I used to fuss around with home made marinades, but decided they were too much of a gamble. Now I just buy the grill mates packet marinades for 75 cents and call it a day. That is if I'm going to use a marinade at all, typically its just salt and pepper sprinkled on the backstraps.

We just use a little dry rub and fling on the grill. Slow cooking keeps them from drying too much. I don't like to burry the taste of the meat with all kinds of exotic cooking.

I just like to season with salt and pepper, maybe even brine them for a bit.

I like to make a sauce or a gastrique out of blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or sometimes black cherries. I like to make it pretty savory so I add a decent dose of herbs du provence, or thyme and sage. [/steakuppity]

BC, thanks for sharing. Sometimes I'm in the mood for marinades and sometimes just seasoning - it's all good! I did a spicy lime marinade once and it was pretty damn good.

My favorites are 1) Whiskey Steak Seasoning + sometimes adding Mesquite, 2) Montreal Steak Seasoning and 3) Salt & Pepper...grill 'em up to Rare/Med Rare and oh baby!!!

Elk_Hunter, The spicy lime sounds good! Do you remember what some of the ingredients were or was it a pack? I too enjoy just regular salt and pepper on the grill but once in a while at the lake I cook for lots of people and it's fun to try different things.

Thanks all for sharing

This thread is making me hungry. The only meat I have left from last season are a few pounds of elk burger.

Normally in the off season I'm dreaming about monster bulls and bucks, but this year I'm filling the freezer, NEEDMORESTEAKS

mmmm backstrap and tenderloin.

1069172_10200604660333690_685674463_n.jpg

My favorite, just dredge in worchestershire sauce and sprinkle with Mortons Nature's Seasonings. No need to marinate more than a few minutes. I usually prep the meat then light the charcoal, 30 minutes later, I'm eating. Every time I serve meat grilled in this fashion, my guests always compliment and there is never any left, no matter how much I cook.

If you want something different, try blackened elk or deer. Spice recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/prt/0,1726,150182-237202,00.html (except I don't use the dried onions).

If you don't want to smoke up the whole house with acrid smoke following the recipe instructions above, just put about a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and heat it until the butter starts to brown, then add the 1/2-3/4" steaks that are coated with the spices and cook 1 minute or so per side until done. You need enough butter so that the blackening seasoning is moist.

Took care of one two pound package last night. Browned in just a tad of bacon grease with onions and made a pot of sloppy joes (will throw in a little more fresh celery next time). Shared some with daughter's family, I had seconds excluding cleaning out the pan with a bun. No leftover for tonight.

This thread is making me hungry. The only meat I have left from last season are a few pounds of elk burger.

Normally in the off season I'm dreaming about monster bulls and bucks, but this year I'm filling the freezer, NEEDMORESTEAKS

Steaks & Tenderloin - Red wine, olive oil, salt, ground black pepper, and minced garlic. Then over a hardwood fire until rare/medium rare.

Burgers - 2 lbs ground meat, 1 stick of softened butter, 1tbs Worcestershire, 2 tbs red wine, 1 tsp seasoning salt,1/2 tsp ground black pepper.

One area where many disagree with me is on the type of wine. I don't believe it has to necessarily be the best out there, but some "discount" varieties just don't turn out as well. (i.e. - save the Mad Dog 20/20 for another occasion.... )

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back