Favorite Backpacking Meals

People are kookie. Hump full containers of whatever in the bc but too lazy to take the empties out. Don’t see much in the places I usually go. Lots of Mylar balloons tho.

Last edited:
My version of the butthole sandwich is peanut butter, bacon, and honey rolled up in a tortilla.... followed up with a snickers bar makes for a helluva backcountry meal.

Bumblebee makes a great little stash meal at the truck. Crackers, chicken ( they have different flavors) and a cookie. Chicken comes in a little tin.

+1 MH Biscuits & Gravy. I also love plain bagels with JFG peanut butter singles and honey packets. I always throw in some dark chocolate squares that make the day better. Last year I dehydrated some lasagna and it turned out well. Had to play with the amount of water needed but tasted good and cooked quickly.

Love sardines. Pesto linguine with sardines and parm. Sardine salad with Italian dressing and feta.

Used to take salami not anymore on account of it about killed me. Hell of a weight loss plan though.

I usually do an assortment of bars, waffle cookies, peanut butter packs, honey sticks, candy, e.t.c for snacks.

Been packing a ramen or two especially for long cold glassing days.

Usually raid my kids uncrustables.

Will do some sandwiches sometimes.

Fresh fish and knorr rice or pasta sides though are tough to beat.

Mountain house and insta taters are a go to add well. I can do about any mountain house.

Shit loads of water.

Same thing every day.

-Breakfast: coffee
-Lunch: trail mix packet, mixed nut packet and a oatmeal raisin Cliff bar
-Dinner: Mountain House (Some sort of chicken flavor) and some bourbon

First walk in I always do the ring bologna in boiled water in my thermos. Get 2 meals, 1 from the sausage, 1 from drinking the fatty water later.

For ultra light weight dinners, one of my go to's is putting couscous, curry powder, cashews, and golden raisins in a gallon ziplock. Big fan of the tortillas and tuna/summer sausage and individual packets of Valentina for lunch. Pour the boiling water in the bag, let it hydrate for 5-10 minutes, and voila. I have come to prefer Backpacker's Pantry over the House, because they provide some very high calorie and protein meals (Pad Thai for example is 920 cals and 36 g's of protein), but it really doesn't make too much of a difference. Umpqua Oats is a good brand for breakfast oatmeal. Much more nutritious and than Quaker.

Friend told me he hunts sheep with a guy that stops at McDonald's on the way outta town. Loads up on 4 or 5 quarter pounder with cheese and packs them with for 2 or 3 days that's his meals...... true story

Friend told me he hunts sheep with a guy that stops at McDonald's on the way outta town. Loads up on 4 or 5 quarter pounder with cheese and packs them with for 2 or 3 days that's his meals...... true story
Hmm. Pair that with a twinky or two and you have awesome shelf life for backcountry hunting or pandemic plus you won’t need TP for better part of a week. Until you do....

Used to take salami not anymore on account of it about killed me. Hell of a weight loss plan though.

I usually do an assortment of bars, waffle cookies, peanut butter packs, honey sticks, candy, e.t.c for snacks.

Been packing a ramen or two especially for long cold glassing days.

Usually raid my kids uncrustables.

Will do some sandwiches sometimes.

Fresh fish and knorr rice or pasta sides though are tough to beat.

Mountain house and insta taters are a go to add well. I can do about any mountain house.

Shit loads of water.
I'd be interested to hear how you got sick from salami? Botulism?

Haha. I know the feeling.

We had camera guy film our Colorado elk hunt. He thought he was getting attitude sickness. He Packed off mountain. Got checked. They gave him anxiety meds. Lol. He packed back up after he stopped at McDonald's and got a bunch double cheeseburgers and brought with him. He ate them for days. Rediculios

And as you can guess, he wasn't cut out for hiking!

I'd be interested to hear how you got sick from salami? Botulism?
Johnsonville the warm stuff on the shelf at the grocery store. Ultra preservatives 1 day into a backpack sheep hunt 15 miles in. Probably one of the worst experiences in my life hunting and definitely the longest walk out. The only thing I can think of is I put it in the fridge for a couple days before we left and then I took it out through it in my pack and ate it on day 2, so it experienced a couple different temp changes. Haven't eaten anything like it since. I can do fresh salami and meat sticks but not a mass produced product like that.

My go to lunch for any day in the mountains is triscuits (sturdy cracker), salami (or elk sticks) and a chunk of yummy cheese like sharp white cheddar. I can snack on it at every break or hammer it all in one sitting and be full. Got sick of soggy sandwiches. Add anchovies and your favorite hot sauce if you're feelin frisky.20170219_141036.jpg
Backpacking dinners: red beans and rice with andouille sausage, Mac n cheese with spam, knorr brococli cheddar rice sides with cheddar dogs, ramen, meatballs with spaghetti.
20170219_194234.jpg20170414_212059.jpg20170530_192101.jpg

Last edited:
For ultra light weight dinners, one of my go to's is putting couscous, curry powder, cashews, and golden raisins in a gallon ziplock. Big fan of the tortillas and tuna/summer sausage and individual packets of Valentina for lunch. Pour the boiling water in the bag, let it hydrate for 5-10 minutes, and voila. I have come to prefer Backpacker's Pantry over the House, because they provide some very high calorie and protein meals (Pad Thai for example is 920 cals and 36 g's of protein), but it really doesn't make too much of a difference. Umpqua Oats is a good brand for breakfast oatmeal. Much more nutritious and than Quaker.
I also prefer Backpackers Pantry for same reason. And Pad Thai is one of their best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back