Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

fathers day fox hunt

Slydog

Well when the kids forget dad its time to do what dad loves. My father in law has a small ranchett in Nampa Idaho, He has many kinds of birds and with that said you know that the fox in the area hit his place about 3 times a week.
My brother in law called about a week ago and said that the fox were hitting the coup again. So when we went to the in laws for dinner I thought that would be a good time to thin the fox population a little.
I went to the ditch that borders their place and started looking for movement. About 30 min before dark they started moving around the den. I watched them waiting for the male to show. the female was intent on watching the cows in the field next door. I waited and just as good shooting light was fading fast I saw the male fox trot up on the den hill and stop looking back at me.

Through the 6x24 that I have on my 17HMR I drew a bead on his chest and at the report he jumped up in the air and ran only a few yards before falling dead to the ground. The shot was 123 yards. Just a short time later I saw one of the pups standing on the same knob. Just as the cross hairs leveled across his head, I touched her off and let me tell you, that 17 sure messed his mellon up in a big way.
If them critters would just stay on the other side of the creek. I would much rather shoot them when the fur is prime and they are grown up a little. Them damn fox are killin all my father in laws turkeys and chickens faster than he can replace them so waiting for better fur don't figure in to it.

2 more fox to the 17HMR's credit. This little cartridge works well on fox at just a little over 100 yards. It sure is a hard hitting little gun.

After that the kids rememberd and gave me a little suprize party, my fathers day turned out real well.

Slydog

That'll teach'em, git them rascals!

Glad the kids woke up and made your day too!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-17-2003 06:09: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]</font>

Cool story
cool.gif

smile.gif
Way to go Sly!

I'm really happy the kids topped off the evening for you
wink.gif

You deserve it!

Lady Yoter

(edited for dumb blonde spelling moment)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-17-2003 06:18: Message edited by: Crow Woman ]</font>

Just a little frustrating when you spend all your time trying to make other peoples lives better and they forget you exist. Till MOM reminds them....I got goodies( GRINS )

sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back