Fat percent for bratwurst?

Since we are on the subject, does anyone care to share their recipe/procedure? I've tried making brats and they came out less awesome than I had hoped... sorry for the hijack
I just buy premixed seasonings these days for everything. Try PS seasoning on the web. The honey BBQ snack sticks are out of this world

I think the fat or pork percentage will vary depending on what you're going for. I believe a traditional German Brat is pork and veal, which gives that very light color and texture. If you're trying for something similar, I think you need fat and pork mix of 50/50 (fatty pork and pork fat) to venison.
Alot of guys refer to sausages of all kinds as "Brats". If you're asking as a general fat content for venison, as a standard for sausages with just pork fat I go 25/75 then maybe a little more fat depending on the variety.
I've done 20% with good results but it's lean and will likely need milk, milk powder or other binder. I've never gone under 20% with good results in a link.
I've had 50/50 plenty of times that was fantastic but at what point does it cease being wild game sausage.

Try PS seasoning on the web.
X2!

PS Seasonings honey bbq is awesome stuff. I add black, white, and red pepper to it along with some nutmeg (separates the sweet from the heat) to do sticks similar to Pernats "cheesy hot and sweet" sticks sold in 'sconny.

Brats we go 50/50 fatty pork butt (not the ultra-trimmed butts), summer sausage or snack sticks we do 60% venison to 40% pork butt. Pork butts are cheap and I can't stand dry sausage.

Since we are on the subject, does anyone care to share their recipe/procedure? I've tried making brats and they came out less awesome than I had hoped... sorry for the hijack
Bratwurst recipe / OG German

lbs ground deer meat (ground)
lbs pork butt (ground)
large onion, minced
1⁄2
teaspoon sugar
2 1⁄2
teaspoons salt
teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon caraway seed
1⁄2
teaspoon ground sage
teaspoon marjoram
teaspoon pepper
2⁄3
cup milk or use beer instead ( it’s better
thumbsup.gif
)3F742F43-D492-4CF9-B969-0BB121EE49CE.png

Last edited:
20%
twist these up in to brat size links,
its a Texas German recipe

This is a 100 lb recipe which fills one of my racks. I prefer 60/40 because I want it to taste like a venison sausage not your average pork sausage.

iD1DazQ.jpg

• 60 lbs of trimmed venison
  • 40 lbs of fatty pork shoulder or trimmings. You want a 20% fat mix when you are done
  • 1-3/4 cups Kosher Salt
  • 1-3/4 cups black pepper
  • 1-3/4 cups onion powder
  • 1-3/4 cups Accent
  • 3/4 cup garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 cup ground allspice
  • 10 teaspoon paprika
  • 10 teaspoon sage
  • 10 teaspoon crushed mustard seed
  • 20 teaspoons cure (Prague powder #1 or Instacure #1 for curing see rule #1 below)
  • 1 gal ice water
Rule #1
  • If you plan to smoke your sausage you must use a Cure. Some folks may try to tell you different, but take my advice and ignore them. First time you experience botulism because you didn't use a cure in your sausage you'll thank me.

• Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it through the medium plate of your meat grinder.

• Take all the spices and cure and mix them well into the 1 gal of ice water.

• Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a couple of minutes to ensure a homogenous mix.

• Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural casings and prepare the links for the smoker. I tie mine in two foot links, making them easier to handle

Now I smoke several thousand pounds of sausage a year, and I'm told it's pretty good stuff, you can adjust you spiciness, by cutting back on the Red and Black peppers, but U like a little bite in mine. Not to take the skin off the roof of your mouth but just a nice little bite.

I shoot for a 50/50 or 60/40 blend when making fresh sausage. The big difference to me is using natural casings vs the other stuff, and also mixing the seasoning and meat until it’s slightly tacky.

I just use premade seasoning now though I’ve followed recipes in the past.

I’ve only made one batch of cured summer sausage and while it was very good, was too fatty/greasy. I’ll be making more this year and am looking at a 70/30 blend.

I don’t really weigh anything anymore, after a few times you should be able to eyeball it fairly well. I do weigh and measure when using cure.
I get the “whiskey sh@ts” enough as it is, don’t need “meat squirts”.

What came out wrong? The taste? texture? Moistness?
I tried two "off the shelf" mixes and both were dry and bland. I assumed I did something wrong the first time, but the second?? I'll try again using the advice above. Thanks fellas!

20%
twist these up in to brat size links,
its a Texas German recipe

This is a 100 lb recipe which fills one of my racks. I prefer 60/40 because I want it to taste like a venison sausage not your average pork sausage.

iD1DazQ.jpg

• 60 lbs of trimmed venison
  • 40 lbs of fatty pork shoulder or trimmings. You want a 20% fat mix when you are done
  • 1-3/4 cups Kosher Salt
  • 1-3/4 cups black pepper
  • 1-3/4 cups onion powder
  • 1-3/4 cups Accent
  • 3/4 cup garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 cup ground allspice
  • 10 teaspoon paprika
  • 10 teaspoon sage
  • 10 teaspoon crushed mustard seed
  • 20 teaspoons cure (Prague powder #1 or Instacure #1 for curing see rule #1 below)
  • 1 gal ice water
Rule #1
  • If you plan to smoke your sausage you must use a Cure. Some folks may try to tell you different, but take my advice and ignore them. First time you experience botulism because you didn't use a cure in your sausage you'll thank me.

• Cut all the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, then grind it through the medium plate of your meat grinder.

• Take all the spices and cure and mix them well into the 1 gal of ice water.

• Pour the water and spice mix into the ground meat and work it all in by hand for at least a couple of minutes to ensure a homogenous mix.

• Stuff the sausage into 32-35mm natural casings and prepare the links for the smoker. I tie mine in two foot links, making them easier to handle

Now I smoke several thousand pounds of sausage a year, and I'm told it's pretty good stuff, you can adjust you spiciness, by cutting back on the Red and Black peppers, but U like a little bite in mine. Not to take the skin off the roof of your mouth but just a nice little bite.
Boy this man ain’t shittin us. Ain’t nothing better than backyard Texas BBQ. Something I miss the most, but my wife ain’t having it. Thanks for sharing

All my spice blends come from Butcher Packer.
Fritz is the man!! My old man has bought seasonings from him for over four decades.

Im pretty sure his summer sausage kit (https://www.butcher-packer.com/inde...id=392&zenid=f0b066d695a56f599af738e83a3b66a2) was developed at MSU years ago. Only thing he screwed up is he left off the mustard seeds and cracked black pepper. I do 15# of the batch with those additions, and the remaining 10# with a pound of ghost pepper hi temp cheese. That cheese punches ya for a sec but goes away. My 12 year old loves it, but I have to limit him to 3 or 4 pieces.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back