Family tent

brockel

I’m looking for a summertime tent for the family. Will be strictly camping right at the pickup. My fall tent is WAY to big to setup for a night or two of summertime camping. What’s a good inexpensive tent for a family of four that you guys have used and recommend?

I’m looking for a summertime tent for the family. Will be strictly camping right at the pickup. My fall tent is WAY to big to setup for a night or two of summertime camping. What’s a good inexpensive tent for a family of four that you guys have used and recommend?
Kodiak 12x12, I have the 10x10 and it’s just a little too small. But it’s a great tent and easy to set up.

Honestly, for what you described, I'd go grab a tent from WalMart. I have used many and given many as gifts to youngsters and they do their job for the amount you pay. Friend of mine did this 5+ years ago and his tent is still going strong. It's used 3-4 times per year.

We have a Cabelas Guide Dome 6. But it's too damn bulky and heavy, though bomb proof. edit: The non-wally world, three above would be my preferred alts.

I got the largest Kodiak flexbow tent. Used it once so far. Stupidly set it up broadside to the prevailing winds. About 1AM a storm blew through with gusts I reckon in the 50s. Tent shook like hell, but she held.

Kodiak aka Springbar take no time to set up. Stake out the corners, insert the springbars and ridge pole, raise the tent. I can set up our 10x14 in about 10 minutes solo, including full stake out and an awning. 5 minutes if I'm lazy that day and don't stake the whole thing out.

We have a Marmot Limestone 6 that has worked great for our family of four and our dog on two-three night trips. Pretty bomb-proof for a three season tent. We got ours at the REI Garage Sale for like $200.
Been using ours for a few years now and would recommend it as well.

Eureka makes some great products, we’ve had the Copper Canyon, made by Eureka, for over 15 years now. Great tent, 10x10 tall enough to stand in, and I’m 6’2

They stand behind their products too, we had a zipper fail a couple years back and they replaced it free of charge.

Also, super easy to set up.

We have used and loved the REI kingdom 8 for 3-4 years. That was until this last spring to Moab…. Woke up in a wind storm that had the walls banging on our faces. I was able to bolster it by tying it up to an awning, but the poles got pretty bent. Turns out, finding replacement poles for the kingdom models is pretty tough and expensive. Will likely try one of the others mentioned here as a result.

We have used and loved the REI kingdom 8 for 3-4 years. That was until this last spring to Moab…. Woke up in a wind storm that had the walls banging on our faces. I was able to bolster it by tying it up to an awning, but the poles got pretty bent. Turns out, finding replacement poles for the kingdom models is pretty tough and expensive. Will likely try one of the others mentioned here as a result.
Yeah, it's a great tent with high sides but it makes it vulnerable to wind. I've never had trouble but I use every possible guy out and stake it down thoroughly. They used to make a kingdom 6 which may be a better fit. There is so all kinds of accessories that I love like the garage instead of a vestibule.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back