Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Family Tent

Summitthunting

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a family camping tent for 4-6 people. Will be used May-September(archery elk!), car camping, floored, no stove. I already have a large wall tent and am looking for something easier to set up by myself (kids are 2&4). I have checked out Cabelas, Bass Pro, and some online stuff, looking for suggestions.

This might fit what your looking for. I have used a range tent from David Ellis Canvas (Durango, CO www.cowboycamp.net ) for hunting and camping with the family the last few years. Iv'e even let a couple of hunt talkers use it white in MT and WY. It's simple to setup by myself, 10 minutes and your up an running. Comes in different materials but it is defietly heavy duty and not some walmart/coleman type construction. Up to a 12x12. Holds up really well in the wind as well.

Attachments

• range_tent2.png
    range_tent2.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,818
Last edited:
Cabela's Alaknak II 12X12, 12X20 or 13X27. 12X20 is a good size for 4 people on an elk hunt with the vestibule. Plenty of room for sleeping cooking, eating and storing your gear out of the weather. It could work for 6 if you really go Spartan on the amenities. I have the 12X20 and would bring a second tent for a group of 6. Great tents, will stand up to any weather and I can set it up by myself.

If you need a three season tent for the family this might be good for you.

http://www.tentsonsale.net/columbia-cougar-flats-ii-family-cabin/

It is the Columbia Cougar Flats II. I bought it last year and have used it in warmer weather. It weighs quite a bit so DO NOT plan on packing it in. If you can unload from the truck and set-up then great. I was skepital on how easy it was to set-up. The first time about 1/2 hour. Once I learned how it took 15 minutes. The poles are color coded and I set it up by myself. Buy a tarp to put underneath the floor. I like the two rooms.... 1. sleeping and clothes. 2. the other room storage and junk. The carrying case is really nice and has wheels. Buy on Amazon for the cheapest price. I think that I paid $275

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
I got the Cabelas 3 room cabin tent 10x20 and it worked really well on an early season elk hunt in Colorado. One guy can put it up by himself but easier with two. Held up well with strong winds. Very good warm weather tent but could get a bit cold in mid/late Sept Mtn hunting.

I got the Cabelas 3 room cabin tent 10x20

I picked one of these up when they were dirt cheap on sale also. good quality for the price. Heavier than hell, need a damn dolly to cart it around, but for summer dirt camping or on the river can't beat the quality or price. If my dogs chewed a hole thru it I would laugh unlike the alaknak I have.

If you are looking for a fair weather tent for the family, check out the Coleman Instant tents. I wouldn't want to be in one in a bad windstorm, but the fact that they set up and take down in about 2 minutes is pretty cool. At first I thought it was gimmicky, then a friend bought one and I was actually quite impressed.

Kodiakcanvas Flexbow 10x14

I just purchased a Kodiak Flexbow 10x14 canvas tent from the local cabelas store. the tent was $599 and I think it will be a great family camping tent plus I could hunt mule deer or elk out of it as well. It is easy to set up by yourself, very well made, and lots of room inside. Plenty of headroom at 6'6" throughout the entire tent. sets up n 10 minutes. I don't think you will be disappointed in this tent. We gave it a good soaking with the hose and then let it dry in the sun testerday for some recommended seasoning/shrinkage. The tent really is gorgeous.

I have a tent we got from Costco....it is not bad...two room job...I have not used it since we got a pop up camper! This time of the year would be when to look into it.

Throwing some paddles on this one to see if anyone has anything new they've gotten lately. I have my eye on an Alaknak for hunting, but my wife wants a tent she can go car camping with a few kids...and I'm sure I'll be using it too for summer fishing or whatever. Big things are ventilation, tub floor, good construction...at least 1200mm which most decent ones are now. I'm checking out the Cabela's West Wind, and Cabela's Bunkhouse. I don't think I'm gonna find one for less then a few hundred if I want it to last. The West Wind has good reviews...but looks like it doesn't have any windows except for on the door. I'm looking at a 6-person tent. Thanks.

Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 or 8 Person tent, upgrade to aluminum poles (not fiberglass) and you'll be ready for anything that comes your way. We use an 8 person on float trips and fixed camps in AK, but it's not something you'd regularily pack deep into the back country due to it's weight. Search Cabelas using: "Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent with Aluminum Poles"

I've been happy with my Big Agnes Bighouse 6. It can get a little chilly in ther when the temp dips to 30 or so, but a quality sleeping bag or a little heater solves that.

We got a Springbar tent as a wedding present and 10 years later it's still going strong.
Definitely a burly setup.
It takes up a lot of room, and isn't the most practical thing for quick overnighters, but it is great for longer trips.

http://www.springbar.com/

Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 or 8 Person tent, upgrade to aluminum poles (not fiberglass) and you'll be ready for anything that comes your way. We use an 8 person on float trips and fixed camps in AK, but it's not something you'd regularily pack deep into the back country due to it's weight. Search Cabelas using: "Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent with Aluminum Poles"

I did think about killing two birds with one stone on this one and getting the 8-person. It's still an option, and saves me having to get two tents. Does anyone have the 8-person and can give me a solid opinion on how it is setting it up with just one person?

We ended up with the Eureka Grand Manan Tour tent. I like it a lot. Lots of room, screened vestibule. Easily set up with me and my 4yr old.

ERKTGMT.jpg

Honestly, I would go with the cheaper coleman's and save your money. I have a quality backpacking tent, and a nice wall tent for hunting. Usually with car/family camping your survival doesn't depend on your shelter. Plus you have a vehicle if things get really stormy, and the weather is usually nice that time of year anyway. My coleman's have always been great for this type of application. They hold up in the rain, and will last if cared for properly. Also did I mention they are inexpensive?

Back