Family brands

Southern Elk

My great grandfather was quite the farmer. He died when my grandfather was only 12. At the time of his death, he owned 20 pairs of mules that were used to plow the cotton fields. Although my grandfather did some farming, he owned a trucking company and was nothing like his father.

My grandfather once told me that he remembered the family brand being the letter R with a rocker from a rocking chair underneath it. Although I’ve never seen it on anything, it’s not hard to imagine. I’ve always wanted to recreate it.

I’m curious if anyone else has a brand or if their family has or had one. Post pictures if you have any.

It is no longer registered, but our family brand on the ranch was M Arrow. In brand speak, that is a capital M with a right facing arrow beneath.

Here’s mine, belongs on the right hip. Not a family brand, but felt fortunate to be able to get a two iron brand. FA1AD6A7-6989-402E-B800-E284E0E0CB96.jpeg

A google search shows several variations. I always pictured it like the top right. I like the bottom left too. Guess I’ll never know. 73533A66-6E6F-41AC-8089-9217ABBD6FFA.png

My father-in-law lives in Durkee, OR. His property is in bad shape now, but the front of the one building apparently used to be the local watering hole. It has a bunch of wood panels with the local brands from back in the day. None of them mean anything to me, but I'm sure there is a ton of history on those walls.

QQ
Been to the Durkee Steak Feed many many times. I bet I’ve run across your FIL.

My father-in-law lives in Durkee, OR. His property is in bad shape now, but the front of the one building apparently used to be the local watering hole. It has a bunch of wood panels with the local brands from back in the day. None of them mean anything to me, but I'm sure there is a ton of history on those walls.

QQ
Just over the hill from me. Elmer Keith lived there for a spell.

Believe it or not during the Depression Chickens were often stolen in our area and sold on the black market in San Francisco. My great grandfather had a tattoo under the wing for his laying hens the "Spear Six Double Bar". We took off the Double bar and made that the cattle brand.

1662650482639.png

I wish my family were part of something like that.. just a bunch of oxygen sucking molecules dragging their limbs about….

My grandfather on my (adopted) dads side told me we had a relative that worked on the King Ranch (Ford) in Texas… 🙄
My dads a Mopar or No car kinda guy…

A good read for anyone wanting to learn about brands (Texas style)

My grandfather’s families ranch near Arvada WY was the “Bar XS” (which fit their conservative outlook on life to perfection.

_
XS is a near approximation to what the brand looked like. Some of the branding irons didn’t complete the junction of the X as that increases the area to heal in the calf’s hide.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back