Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Falling into place

Gunner46

My reward to me for somehow not getting myself killed, maimed, remarried, or arrested these 60yrs (in Aug) is to make a Wyoming pronghorn/mule deer, N. Carolina & Ohio whitetail, and a Maine black bear hunt all before I hit my next birthday.

The loading for the 7mm/08 has finally gotten down to where I have to make a decision between a couple of loads that are consistently around 3/4" (Thanks BuzzH). They will probably get better after I install the Airtech recoil pad and Timney trigger I've ordered. So, good to go there.

But I've had a simmering hankering, in the back of my mind, to get a 338 Federal for some time now. This would be my go-to bear and Pa/Ky Elk rifle. (If I ever draw). I have been looking for a Ruger 77, but whenever I did run across one, no $$ to spare. Plan B, rework and restock my Rem 600. Plan C, get a shot out Ruger and rebarrel it.

Well, Plan C just took effect, sorta ! I found a NIB Ruger American Wolf Camo .308 online today for $289.00. BINGO. It's going straight to the gunsmith for a 338 barrel. This is actually going to work out.

And for those who are going to ask "Why not keep it a 308?"..............I already have one, the 600. For those who want to know where I found it, PM me.

Rebarrelling the 600 is still an interesting thought, but I would have a hard time changing from a 308 if I had one that shot petty good. It sure would be a neat little timber rifle.

Good luck with the barrel job. Anything special like a muzzle brake or fluted barrel?

My reward to me for somehow not getting myself killed, maimed, remarried, or arrested these 60yrs (in Aug) is to make a Wyoming pronghorn/mule deer, N. Carolina & Ohio whitetail, and a Maine black bear hunt all before I hit my next birthday.

The loading for the 7mm/08 has finally gotten down to where I have to make a decision between a couple of loads that are consistently around 3/4" (Thanks BuzzH). They will probably get better after I install the Airtech recoil pad and Timney trigger I've ordered. So, good to go there.

But I've had a simmering hankering, in the back of my mind, to get a 338 Federal for some time now. This would be my go-to bear and Pa/Ky Elk rifle. (If I ever draw). I have been looking for a Ruger 77, but whenever I did run across one, no $$ to spare. Plan B, rework and restock my Rem 600. Plan C, get a shot out Ruger and rebarrel it.

Well, Plan C just took effect, sorta ! I found a NIB Ruger American Wolf Camo .308 online today for $289.00. BINGO. It's going straight to the gunsmith for a 338 barrel. This is actually going to work out.

And for those who are going to ask "Why not keep it a 308?"..............I already have one, the 600. For those who want to know where I found it, PM me.
Very nice! What bullets you planning on shooting out of it? I'd take a hard look at the 200gr Ballistic Silvertips. I've used them out of my 338 Win Mag for pronghorn through elk. Haven't caught one yet...

Might be worth a call to JES Reboring.

http://35caliber.com/2.html

I've read of lots of folks happy with his work and turnaround time. Might save you a bit of money for the same outcome.

I've been shooting Noslers exclusively for decades now. Did some experimenting with a 120gr Barnes load in my 7mm/08, but the 140 BT & Accubond are edging that one out in accuracy and down range numbers. So, I guess I'll start off with a 200 AB and a 210 PT with Varget & RL-15, then see how things go from there.

If I can find a node around 2450 fps, I'll have a 6" point blank range out to almost 250yds and 1500 Ft Lbs of Thump 'em out to over 300.

Good Luck and Good Hunting Gunner!!
Have a blast and don't look back too hard.
I'm facing the same ,only I made it to 60 this year and will be hunting bulls and bucks around the Gila,after a heart attack in March...never thought I would make it til the of the 1st week let alone the 2nd tour. Thank you for your service bro.

Just a couple of lay-a-way payments to go and it's coming home to Papa. Early July-ish.

Got 80 rds of once fired Fed brass incoming for $40, including shipping. Jumped on that one like an EOD Prive that just heard a brown paper bag pop ! ;)

Already have RL-15, 17, and 4064. Maybe some LVR in the menu, if I can find any.

Haven't made a hard decision on any bullets just yet. I think I'd like to stay as close to a 200gr as I can, but anything from 185-215 is going to be scrutinized. Remember, this is intended to be for use in the 300yd minus field.

Scopes? Hummmm ? Here is where I need to give a hard Thunk-it-out session. For now, my consideration is that a Leupold 2x7 is Top Dog.

Back