Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Fall New Mexico Bear

Rzrbck918

We are hunting Unit 45 in second archery with elk and deer tags. One of our guys wants to purchase an OTC bear tag. We have seen bear in the area in the last several years and there seems to be a fair amount of sign as of Memorial Day weekend. Any guidance as to tactics and strategy?

I know this is an older thread, but I’m looking to do a DIY bear hunt in that unit in August. You have any luck or lessons learned?

That unit is the reason I started picking up an OTC bear tag. They're all over the place, I've always ran into them on east facing slopes usually covered in oak brush. Not sure if that's just coincidence though.

Unsuccessful but I did learn a lot. We were all bow hunting and I ended up with the bear tag for something different. I set up and hung a couple of cameras where there was a great deal of bear sign. The wind was not the best for my set but the set was right tactically and the only realistic option with a bow. The bear came through on the fourth morning but I was calling elk for another hunter. Largest bear I have seen in that area. South and east-facing slopes are where I have seen all the bears in that unit but that is generally how I hunt anyway whether for elk, deer, or bear. I would say food sources are where I would focus..pinon flats, berries if you can find them, junipers/cedar berries seem to be acceptable to them as well.

Thanks for the advice. I struck out on an elk tag this year, so I figured this is the year for otc bear.

They run the bear with dogs in the fall rifle season. Last year during rifle elk season they ran the dogs right through where I was hunting elk. On the second day I left the area frustrated. You cannot bait them, but an existing gutpile might draw them. I filmed a boar on a spring with a trailcam. I setup on the spring during bow season but never saw him again.

They run the bear with dogs in the fall rifle season. Last year during rifle elk season they ran the dogs right through where I was hunting elk. On the second day I left the area frustrated. You cannot bait them, but an existing gutpile might draw them. I filmed a boar on a spring with a trailcam. I setup on the spring during bow season but never saw him again.
I plan on spot and stalk and I’m all for hunting any legal way but I bet that would be frustrating. There are several units that open in August before archery elk, if I were going to run dogs I’d make sure to take advantage of that.

Way to go!!!! That's a beautiful bear. I've always thought about trying that early NM OTC bear but never have. Did the houndsman running dogs cause any difficulties? Not going after them, I used to hunt with some of them, I just wondered if they were hard for a non houndsman to get away from.

Nice job! I'm going into unit 21 for a deer scouting trip in October. You can bet I'll have a bear tag in my pocket.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back