Fall bear...

Bring the Smoked salmon dip... and whatever you are supposed to dip in it??
confused.gif

I don't know that I want to pack a Caribou 5 miles on a pack frame. I have packed them 2 miles, and that is fine, but 5 miles would likely result in broken ankles in that spongy stuff called Earth up there... I think whacking them with a bow would be a better option... And get them just a mile off the road...

I thought he was going to do a "scouting" trip this year, with his outfitter, and see if he could get the HT gang in with the same guy, in the same area.

And I am always up for ideas on where to hunt in AK. I am not sure, but I am guessing the AK "itch" will need to be scratched either in 04 or 05, or both..For a Moose... (the POW bear doesn't count, as that is a "extra" bonus hunt, that can be pulled off any time, without too much planning or costs...)

The Haul road was DS's plan.. I was goingto Tag along
smile.gif
I am looknig at a drop camp. But who knows ?!?! All up in the air.

Wife doesn't eat fish, Kids Eat HOTDOGS. Need I bring anything ?

SO... Figure out the bear thing and Well talk...

Elkgunner, If this Moose thing goes good I'll let ya know, if you can PAck to AK under 90#'s
wink.gif

Isn't this topic about Fall bear ?!?!

I wish that the ferry ran more and didnt cost so much from south central AK to SE. I could throw the truck on with a 14' and a 12' raft (with engines) to hunt out of. but the schedule is very slim pickings.

LBG

Ship the rafts and motors, fly out to POW...we'll pick you up. Probably easier said then done, but that would be pretty cool.

Trust me its tempting. Brian tempts me with invites for a hunt and unfortuanetly it so far hasnt worked out. I wonder what it would cost to ship both rafts and motors down. Hmmm.

Can't you ship goods on the ferry? Ship off the rafts, coax Johnnie or someone into picking them up, fly out. No need to send equipment to BW...sounds like he has everything you need. Sounds more like a time issue...work hard and play hard is the way I see it. Make sure you take time out for yourself Joel!

I didnt mean I was gonna send them to Brian. It is a time issue since the rafts arent mine but I can use them anytime. I'm sure the owners would want them for hunting, fishing etc, not sitting on a boat waiting to be returned. I looked into it before and it wouldnt cost anymore than what the non-res would have to pay to get everything down on the ferry. its just the timing. theres only a handfull of ferry's heading to the SE from valdez or seward a year and timing is everything. I cant afford to much time off without pay since I'm using my vacation next spring for a bear hunt out of TOK. A week without pay I can handle but......

Ovis,

How many are coming up from Mt. Home for dinner Thursday?

Right now the menu is:
Homemade Salsa
Ovis' Salmon Dip
Corn on the Cob
Ovis' Salmon Marinade on POW Kings and Kenai Silvers
Homemade Cheesecake
and hot dogs for the Moosie offspring,
and Chicken for Moosie's better half

Give a call

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-21-2003 00:10: Message edited by: ElkGunner ]</font>

I'm really getting excited reading all these posts & talk of a "hunt talk" POW trip. My Aunt lives in Bellingham and when I go to visit, I drive down to the ferry terminal, park the car and watch the explorers load drive onto the boat. I just love the thought of going up there, and would credit myself into oblivion for the chance to go up there. I've never been on a guided hunt, and don't know anyone that knows anything about POW, so I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.

I WAS going to attend last springs Canada trip, but we hit HARD times last spring and I didn't get past the "wish" phase...things should be looking good for next spring, so If you guys get something going, I'm IN!

45/70

Elkgunner

You got mail. Sorry I took so long to get that to you. The menu sounds GREAT!

45/70

We'll keep pushing Moosie for the HT hunt. I'm really game for the fall hunt as opposed to the spring hunt, due to the fact I like them blacktail. Not only are they a pretty tough looking deer, they also taste better than any other deer I have had. In fact, It is on my list of top three favorite game meats.

Can't you guys see I am trying to plan a dinner party here? Why do you keep bringing up Hunting???
confused.gif
eek.gif
confused.gif

OK, OK, maybe this is a Hunting forum, and a thread for Fall bear. We'll talk about it this evening, and see what happens.... My guess is Moosie will agree to anything..
hump.gif
shhh.gif

POW is relatively simple to plan, and relatively cheap to pull off, so who knows...

I would opt for the POW bear/deer combo over the 'bou hunt, as each of those animals interest me more. I would be willing to drive or even share driving/gas with someone from ID. Keep me posted!!

Moosie,

About the Kuiu non-resident bear tags...

The tags are 'registration' just like most other black bear tags. Kuiu Island is a known area for record book black bears. It became so popular with guides and transporters that the ADF&G needed to limit the number of bear taken from Kuiu. By State law, non-resident tags were the first tags they restricted.

ADF&G decided that 120 black bears can be taken by non-residents every year. I just called the Petersburg office, and they told my there are 34 non-resident tags left this for this Fall, which means that 86 bears were taken by non-residents this Spring.

Last year I believe there were 19 or 20 tags left over for the Fall, so you can get some idea of just how many tags are normally left. The ADF&G told me that there are no plans to change the 120 number next year. But that may change in 2005.

Even if the Kuiu non-resident bear limit is reached, there is always Kupreanof Island which is located right next to Kuiu (by only hundreds of yards for a large portion of the coast line.) Big black bears there too, plus a road system which is probably only second in length to Prince of Wales.

Nothing wrong with Prince of Wales Island. I just think it gets a lot more pressure on the road system. Now hunting POW by boat is a whole different situation. You can get to places that only the locals go, and they don't go that much, as most aren't bear hunters.
wink.gif

I'd be interested in going on a fall black bear and deer hunt in SE AK. Been here my whole life and never been down that far yet.
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> My guess is Moosie will agree to anything.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LET's RIDE !!!!!!!!!!

Check out some of these blacktail pics! Just wanted to get the juices flowing for next fall! These were boosted off a thread at another site. The bottom one is from AKJEFF who's posted here some.

fb4b95d0.jpg

056618.JPG

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-28-2003 17:29: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

LOOK at the NAME on the MAIN PAGE... This is MY Show... I'm guessing I say who's going.....

(I.E. the above means I really hope they invite me even though I played the BOSS card......
tongue.gif
)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back