Factory ammo choice??

mixedbag

I just put a VX-3 on my Browning in 300 win.mag.I got the CDS scope and need to find a good factory bullet to use to get the turrets for the scope
I need a good bullet for animals like elk,moose.And, another load that may be better for muleys and antelope.
If theres a good all around choice for all big game then I'd probably stick with on load.I'm more into bowhunting so I could use some help from gun guys on this.I'm setting this gun up totally for western big game hunting.I have other guns I use here in the East
Thanks

Either Federal or Winchester makes a 180gr Nosler AcuBond load..... see which shoots better in your gun and go with that. I have hunted everything from moose, griz, black bear, elk, deer , mountain goat, caribou, etc. etc. etc. with that bullet out of a .300WSM and it does the trick everytime.

You will dig that CDS once you get it dialed in. Not sure how I ever lived without one before.........

I've coverted every rifle to Hornady ammo. The SST is great on deer and antelope and the Interbond on elk. Very consistant loads from batch to batch. I've been shooting it since the SST came out many years ago. Probably the least expensive "premium ammo". Try it and see if your new set up likes it.

I have been shooting a .300 Win Mag for years. The last three years have been 180 grain Federal Premiums. I have used both Trophy Bonded Tip and Nosler Partitions. Those are two great bullets.

As far as accuracy of these factory loads, let just say that I am by far the weak link in the equation. Their accuracy far exceeds my talents.

I'll pick some of the Federal Premiums up,and see how it does.I,too, am usually the weak link in my shooting set ups.Decided to up grade all my gear in hopes it will make up for some of my short comings.This year, I'll only have myself to blame

Well, 1st you're going to have to spend some bench time on a range. For that I use the Plain Jane Wally World stuff, usually Winchester. The main goal is to acclumate and fine tune skills, discover the rifle's quirks ( problems) not necessarly get instant gratification from dime sized groups.

You just never know what is going to Pop for you. My son's S&W 1500 7mm Mag, LUVS Rem 150's, shooting around 1/2-3/4" all day long. My Rem 600 can spit Win 180's at 2550fps and keep 'em inside a quarter. That's only 150 fps behind the published spec's for a 30/06. Not bad for a .308 Carbine !!

Swich to the premium stuff later, after you've fine tuned the rifle, And your shooting skills.

(You won't go wrong with Noslers, nor Barnes)

Either Federal or Winchester makes a 180gr Nosler AcuBond load..... see which shoots better in your gun and go with that. I have hunted everything from moose, griz, black bear, elk, deer , mountain goat, caribou, etc. etc. etc. with that bullet out of a .300WSM and it does the trick everytime.

You will dig that CDS once you get it dialed in. Not sure how I ever lived without one before.........

+1

The Accubond is about the best all-around bullet out there. It has a high B.C. and is accuate for long range shots, it opens up well on deer-sized game, and it holds together well for penetration. I've shot them in most of my rifles, with impact speeds from about 3000 fps down to the 2000 fps range. I've never had trouble with one.

If you want to try some cheaper stuff, the Federal "blue box" ammo is usually about the most accurate and fastest cheap load around.

If you would like to be able to shoot more and still use a great bullet I would check our the Federal Fusion rounds. I have never seen them shoot bad and have seen some great results on game.

Mixed Bag, I really like the 180 accubond. Where do you shoot long range at for practice. Maybe we can shoot some time.

I would go with one load for everything. I use federal 180 partitions my cousin uses 180 tsx's. Just find one that shoots the best and stick with it.

+1 for the Accubonds, have used them out of my 325wsm in a 200gr for a couple Moose and elk with great results. The 180gr acccubond in a 300wsm have been great for a buddy of mine.

I'm a big fan of the E-tip. I've recovered a couple of them from severe quartering shots on some fat mule deer and was very impressed with the retention and expansion.

Seen a few comparisons to other bullets on other sites and the E-tip is really the perfect bullet to me.

Here's a link to a great example on 24hourcampfire - https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3709645/2

Here's the picture from that link.

180 Accubond-180 Partition-180 XP3-180 TSX-150 E-Tip
dogbite007.jpg

Here's a picture of one of the E-tips I recovered from a mule deer. It was pretty much a direct front shot is the only reason I recovered it. It traveled about 3 feet and it stopped just before it entered the right hindquarter. Was under 100 yards out of my 7mm Rem Mag.
2009_Muledeer_bullet.jpg

Last edited:
I used to do a lot of rifle shooting and I have found that every gun has its favorite bullet. Even two of the exact same gun may prefer something different. For factory ammo I grab a few boxes of ammo that meets/exceeds my requirements and head for the range. Find the one that groups the best and go with that. It is amazing how the same brand/bullet weight but different bullet/powder can affect accuracy. That is why when I found a good round I would "stock up" on what worked best. My bolt actions I typically hand loaded for but my BAR loved the old Winchester Silvertips. Almost out of them and time to repeat the process. Might have to give those E-Tips a try!

Back