Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Extra Fuel

R

rwc101

Who carries extra gas/diesel with them while hunting and how much? The thought of running back to town to get more fuel sounds only slightly better than running out of gas in the Red Desert.

I always carried 15 gallons to use in the truck and the generator which is full before we go. Now that I have a diesel I'll have to get one more 5 gallon jug so I can have 10 gallons of diesel and 10 of gas.
It's usually a 100 mile round trip to get gas from where we camp.

I picked up a couple who were Northern Nevada Locals while hunting antelope. They had broken down out in the desert and I gave them a ride back to one of their vehicles. They had in the back of their truck:

2 spare tires, 2-5 gallon cans of fuel and 2-5 gallon cans of water.

(The alternator on one rig was the issue.)

Always 10 gal, also fuels the generator, so it goes down slowly. My truck gets very poor mileage so I need the extra driving across SD with the camper. 200 mile range is tough if a small town had a broken pump....

I figure it can't hurt to have extra. At the end of the season I dump it in the truck to keep the cans with fresh gas

Some places MT you better have plenty!!!!!!!
I carry 15 gallons and my truck has a 40 gal tank I fill whenever I find gas.
Haveing "Just enough" is not enough. SO many things can happen, Like giving some to people that THOUGHT they had JUST enough...

5 gal kept at camp for generator and sxs. Fill both up each day. Usually go to town a few times a week to fill up.

Quick question. Anyone have a non electric transfer pump they like?

I carry 6 five gallon cans just because I dislike having to make the long trip into town and if one of us runs out of gas in the pickup, the other can get on the ATV and run a 5 gallon gas container out to us. From where we would be camped, it's a good hour ride back into town so we carry gas. Everyone brings empty containers to be filled once they hit town before hitting camp.

5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon can on any trip lasting longer than 3 days. Smaller can is easier for the generator and the 5 gallon is for the truck or quad. If I am a really long ways from a fuel station I add another 5 gallon can. This is based on taking my travel trailer. Tent camping just 2.5 gallons for the pickup.

I syphon from the large can into my truck by setting the can on the side of the truck bed. I add a second shorter hose just inside the top of the tank, cover the can opening sealing around the hoses with towel or whatever and blow on the short hose. This forces fuel up the syphon hose and I walk away once fuel starts flowing. No fuel in my mouth. I use clear hoses so I can see the fuel flowing.

I used to live in the sticks and nearest gas station was 14 miles away. Always carried 2-gal in case I forgot to fill up in town. I’ll take my 5-gal can as well on trips to remote areas in the US. Sometimes pump stations are 40-50 miles apart, and if the one I was counting on filling up in is out of order, closed, etc, that’s up to 100 miles I might need to drive to fill up. Also helps to fill up every time I get down to half a tank rather than push my luck going lower towards E.

Back