Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Extinct

giphy.gif

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

-Garth Vader

Washington Whitetails too… poor management and blue tongue super charged by drought… and yes, climate change seems to be playing a part.

Washington Whitetails too… poor management and blue tongue super charged by drought… and yes, climate change seems to be playing a part.
Washington Blacktails are not in the greatest shape either. I think down 25 to 30 percent in my lifetime. But look at the loses of biodiversity as a whole it should not be surprising.

Montana mule deer will be on that list in less than 5 years if we keep this shit up.
<Woodpeckers - Mule deer>
Our Mountain States - "Last Best Place" is on the true ESA list.
Been on a slow decent turned mashed accelerator pedal straight to hell! COVID itself indirectly brought every Tom, Dick, and Harriet from every noted "escape State" to Montana, Idaho, Colorado and catching up, Wyoming.

Sad for the woodpecker, mulies joining elk, and last of the meaning behind Mountain States...

This is the big takeaway from that article for me:

"How they are saved also is changing. No longer is the focus on individual species, let alone individual birds. Officials say the broader goal now is to preserve their habitat, which boosts species of all types that live there."

To these types of events, I often hear the retort that all species eventually go extinct. It's a true statement. Just as true as the statement that all people eventually die. It's quite obvious that these are premature extinctions in the sense that an animal with consciousness and assumed free-will caused them, and so to me it kind of feels like the death of a child. Innocence off to oblivion, and it is sad as hell.

I know a fella that claims to have run into a few while working on a logging crew SW Arkansas and SE Oklahoma. He claims the standard protocol is to ignore them and carry on as usual without reporting. After the feds shut a few operations down many became reluctant to report and loose their next paycheck. Pretty difficult task to ask a bunch of blue collar guys to give up a paycheck to help save a bird many didn't even know needed saving. Personally I've seen one in 2007 in SE Oklahoma and have hope they're still around somewhere in the thick pineywoods of the SE.

This is the big takeaway from that article for me:

"How they are saved also is changing. No longer is the focus on individual species, let alone individual birds. Officials say the broader goal now is to preserve their habitat, which boosts species of all types that live there."
Habitat is vital, and where our strongest preservation efforts belong.

Some species like this woodpecker have been hunted to extinction (or damn near) while their habitat remains. Passenger pigeons and bison come to mind in North America.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back