Experience with neck surgery?

HowaHunter

Going in and getting cut on in the morning. Anybody have experience with discectomy and spinal fusion? If so, any experiences you would like to share?
Thanks. Glad I will be 100% by next fall.

I have had a discectomy on my lower back (L5-S1). I have also had surgery on both of my shoulders (left shoulder a snowmobile incident, right shoulder a tumble out of a tree - both at work). Follow your doctors orders to the letter. Even more important, listen to your Physical Therapy folks. Tell your PT folks what your health goals are for next fall (maybe humping a 50 lb. pack up and down the Rocky Mountains). Put out maximum effort during your PT appointments, and do the "homework" they assign you to do - they can tell if you don't. They can also set up an exercise program for you to follow even after you are discharged from their care. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your recovery.

When I came out of low back hack anesthesia, I was pain free for the first time in years. It's been 9 months and nothing short of amazing. Control the pain and listen to your sawbones and physical therapist.

I turned one down on L5-S1. I took as many cortisone shots as they'd give me in 2 months and worked hard at physical therapy. It flares up every now and then but the more active I stay the better-A good excuse to spend as much time in the hills as possible. I fear it may need to be done still down the road. The better I eat, less I drink seems to help as well.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.

The best thing I ever did was go through L-3/L-4 spinal fusion in 2009. I couldn't walk 10 feet without having to sit down due to the unbearable pain in my hip and lower back prior to the surgery. After the surgery and going through the PT, I began walking and eventually was able to walk 2 miles without stopping. The only bad thing about all of it was I failed the stress test when getting ready for the back surgery and ended up having open heart surgery for a coronary by pass before I could have the back surgery. I had both of them a month apart.

You won't regret having the procedure, but you will hate the PT; just grin and bear it because it will be worth it when it's all over and done with. Good luck and enjoy the pain free life you'll have when it's all over!!!!!!!!!!

Back