PEAX Equipment

Excessive bullet drop

I tried 300 yds a few years ago, but I don't remember where I had it zeroed or what ammo I was using so it doesn't help much. It was hitting on that 2nd diamond so about a 12" drop, maybe 14" so it was a little low back then too, but not 20".

You were aiming at the correct diamond.

This time you aimed at the incorrect diamond.

Bad ammo, rings, alignment, etc doesn't shoot 1 MOA @ 300yds.

Travis

Last edited:
If the back of the scope being higher than the front is causing him problems, why do they sell scope bases with a 20 or 30 MOA cant? I shoot several guns with a 20 moa cant and it doesn't cause any issues. Did you change scope magnification between the two ranges? I say clean it, chronograph it, and check your zero at 100. Then shoot at 300 again and let us know how it goes.

When the smithy tore it down , cleaned it and re-assembled, he put the mounts back on differently......maybe. In an old timer like that, maybe the rings are already "custom".

This time you aimed at the incorrect diamond.

It would be nice if the problem was as simple as that, but I'm pretty sure I was aiming at the top diamond. Having the target at 400yds instead of 300 would also explain it, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't either of the two... not that I'm above being that stupid at times.

I have to go back out to the range or this will haunt me all week. If you don't hear back from me it was one of the two above stupid things. :D.

It would be nice if the problem was as simple as that, but I'm pretty sure I was aiming at the top diamond. Having the target at 400yds instead of 300 would also explain it, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't either of the two... not that I'm above being that stupid at times.

I have to go back out to the range or this will haunt me all week. If you don't hear back from me it was one of the two above stupid things. :D.

Just a SWAG. The drops line up. And your rifle is printing sub-MOA groups @ 300yds. And this is the same rifle that didn't have any issues the last time it was put on paper at 300yds...

When I add all these things together I get "wrong freakin' diamond...." Grin.

Travis

Just a SWAG. The drops line up. And your rifle is printing sub-MOA groups @ 300yds. And this is the same rifle that didn't have any issues the last time it was put on paper at 300yds...

When I add all these things together I get "wrong freakin' diamond...." Grin.

Travis

People prob shoot at the wrong diamonds in Havre all the time. Other parts of the state, not so much.

People prob shoot at the wrong diamonds in Havre all the time. Other parts of the state, not so much.

More in to circles on cardboard.:D

TSX_3200_zps664ede17.jpg

When the smithy tore it down , cleaned it and re-assembled, he put the mounts back on differently......maybe. In an old timer like that, maybe the rings are already "custom".

Reassembling mounts in a different manner changes the trajectory of a bullet?

Travis

I'd re-shoot with the same ammo to confirm it wasn't operator error (happens to the best of us), bring along another type of ammo to compare bullet drop. If you're still seeing 20" of drop then move onto the scope/bases, bedding, etc.

Hope you get it worked out, sounds like a neat old gun.

Well the good news is you have an excuse to go do some more shooting. My guess is ammo or you have a ranging issue. Misalignment would likely cause left/right issues. Damaged rings throw you all over (been there done that) and other gun issues would likely cause wild inconsistencies, not a consistent miss as evidenced by the groups you're shooting.

Your only prescription - MORE COWBELL! Now that it's broken down and clean go shoot it and see. You'll want to shoot a couple fowlers anyway.

I'd re-shoot with the same ammo to confirm it wasn't operator error (happens to the best of us), bring along another type of ammo to compare bullet drop. If you're still seeing 20" of drop then move onto the scope/bases, bedding, etc.

Hope you get it worked out, sounds like a neat old gun.

Big groups and/or fliers are chalked up to error

Low groups something else entirely (prolly Sasquatch or similar ilk)

You need to darken the circle in the diamond. It helps alot. That's 3 too. mtmuley

Attachments

• DSCF0080.JPG
    DSCF0080.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 254
Slow ammo is pretty common

Good grief. Slow ammo is not common. Ammo manufactures test their ammo with long (26") match grade barrels (i.e. tight throats). Actual velocity is almost always short of published data (i.e. on the box).

I'm equally impressed with your penmanship Miller. Absolutely stunning. That group is awesome as well.
Sorry for the hijack Rob. I do believe you may have found your problem with the above mentioned theories.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back