Caribou Gear Tarp

Evolving as a hunter over time

I’m currently doing hunter safety with my 10y old. My hunting has definitely evolved from when I was younger. Now, I want to fill the freezer and am a aggressive/dedicated hunter in getting that part done. After that it’s more about the experience with family and friends. This is the first year I haven’t killed a whitetail. Not from lack of opportunities but just lack of desire. We went a few times and just watched them. I mainly watched my 8y old’s excitement in wanting to hunt. That was a good enough trophy for me.

I bought an auto for a reason. Every covey flush is going to be 3 shots, fired as fast as possible.
This…… people call golf Whack Fudge. When I’m upland hunting I call it Boom Boom Boom Fudge.

Except I don’t say fudge.

I’ve unloaded a gun at almost point blank into several coveys of quail that scared me to death, didn’t even knock a feather off. I mean….. I hate to brag…

I struggle with the feelings I get when hunting. At times just being in the outdoors is a lot of satisfaction. I recall coyote hunting about a half mile from my home. When I looked to the north of my position I saw something that looked odd. It seamed like a lot of brown bushes. My binoculars helped me see a large herd of elk. This was the first time I saw elk this close to home. It gave me such a good feeling to know I live in elk country and they are so near. Over the next few years I have seen more and more elk getting nearer to our home. It is not the feeling of getting a big one but knowing that I live where they do. Somehow I get satisfaction in just seeing them.To me this is the western life. Don't get me wrong I would love to get another big bull but I get great joy living in this country. And that is something.

Yes, the adventure is more important as I have aged, even if it's just the drunk singing to himself at the truck stop when I'm gassing up. Seeing and experiencing as much as possible becomes more of a focus as I'm heading towards the final roundup. There's this back of the mind warning about having wasted too much of life. I don't think one can ever experience enough. I gave it a helluva run though but still feel dissatisfied. If it takes all day to shoot a bird I'm okay with that. What better way to spend my time?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not drunk at a truck stop. Only observed one while fueling. Actually, it was a memorable performance. Quite the tenor. Not what I expected in the middle of the night at Harlem, MT.
Sounds about right for Harlem NYC but without the tenor.

Great thread, not sure how I missed this one.
Being somewhat older now this thought is always with me; don't kill more than you need. The actual killing is not the big thing for me anymore, but the respect of holding and admiring the wonderful animals we share our space with is what continues to drive my hunting pursuits.
These days as many critters walk away from me as die it seems.
But man I sure cannot wait for opening days next fall, the passion will never leave.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back