Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

every elk is a trophy

My dream tag would be a Wyoming general cow tag. Good in any unit that's over management objective. Cow hunts are the only way I can still DIY elk hunt with a reasonable chance of success.

Other than my first deer, I've never been as excited to shoot an animal without horns as I have been when I've shot a cow. Deer and Antelope I'm looking for horns. Elk, I'll shoot the first legal one all day every day. I need to get a lot better at finding elk before I start limiting myself to bulls only.

I'll second what everyone else is saying here. But I'd like to also add that my personal feeling is that a public land cow elk hunt is a very under-rated hunting experience. I think most people believe harvesting a cow is all about shooting one out of a wheat field during the late season. There's nothing wrong with that obviously. But if you put boots on the ground and work to get away from the roads and get the drop on a wild cow on public land and have the opportunity to tag the creature then you've just had a tremendous hunting experience. They're still elk after all and killing one fair chase in wild country is quite a privilege.

Most people are lucky to get a shot at any elk.

My dad told me this when I was 12 and had just shot my first bull, most people would die just to have the chance to shoot a cow, just remember that and don't take it for granted- we are very spoiled around here.

Talking with a hunting buddy and told him I was going west to hunt cow elk and he said I was crazy to drive over 1300 miles to hunt a cow. He cannot understand that a animal does not have to have a big set of antlers to be a trophy to me.
what do you think of hunting antlerless animals ?

Nothing is more disturbing to me than watching a hunting show and after the animal hits the ground the guy looks like a crack addict trying to get his tape measure out. You don't eat the horns and they usually cost you more money. Trophies are in the eyes of the hunter and not some scale. Enjoy your trophy weither it's on the wall, in the frying pan, or both! Good huntin'

Last edited:
Cows or bulls......

I had a couple of tough seasons a few years back. I lost a really nice muley buck the first year, and a really dandy bull elk the following year. Both appeared to be good shots, but for whatever reason, did not do the job. I have taken my share of animals with a bow, and with a rifle. In 25+ years of hunting, I had lost only one deer, a muley buck. After losing these two animals, two years in a row, I almost hung up my hunting hat.... I lost a lot of sleep, and beat myself up about it constantly.

I expressed how I was feeling to my best hunting buddy, who also happens to be my wife. She asked how I could give up something I loved to do more than anything else, and lived the entire rest of the year for. She said, "maybe what you really need to do is go back to basics, the whole reason why you love to hunt in the first place." I'm not sure why I, myself, had not thought about this, except I'd been blinded by the bone, and succumbed to the peer pressure to bring home only "the big one".

One of my other hunting partners is infatuated with big head gear as well, and we do a lot of back country hunts together. My wife had mentioned shooting a cow during one of these hunts, and he said, "there's no way I would shoot a cow way back here". She then came back with, "what's the difference between a bull and a cow except the antlers, and the cow generally tastes better?" That really hit home with me, what IS the difference, why is one "worthy of a long arduous pack out", and the other isn't? Just because they don't pack antlers, doesn't mean they aren't tough to hunt.....

So two years ago, with a general tag, and an additional cow/calf tag in my pocket, we headed out during archery season. The elk were active, and we were having several encounters daily. My wife had to return to work, leaving my other partner and I to hunt. The first afternoon, about 3 1/2 miles in, we were in the elk, we split up and went after them. I ended up arrowing a yearling cow at last shooting light. I got her quartered and hung in the dark, and took neck meat, backstraps, and tenderloins out with me that night. When I got back to camp, he knew I had gotten something, I told him I had gotten a cow, and it was ready to pack in the morning. He couldn't believe I shot a cow back there, and complained about it the whole rest of the day, although he did it with 1/2 an elk on his back.....

We took my cow back to town to hang in my cooler, then headed back up that night, to continue our hunt. My partner ended up shooting a raghorn 5 point the next morning, in almost the same place I got the cow. We got him quartered and bagged to pack, he was about the same size body wise as my cow. I took backstraps, and a front and rear quarter, and he took neck meat, tenderloins, and front and back quarter. He then looks at me and says, "what about the antlers, I can't leave them", I said, "if you want them, you pack them, guess maybe you should have shot a cow, then it wouldn't be a concern." He made a special trip back in the next day to get them, and complained about it the whole time.......

I ended up shooting another elk that year, a nice young calf, best eating I've had in a LONG time. Mostly what I got that year was a nice big piece of humble pie, best I've ever had.......

In the end, sometimes what we all need to do is go back to that time when we hunted because we loved to be there, not because we need the biggest rack, or set of horns to prove to ourselves that we are somehow "better" than those who harvest the "lesser" animals........

Jbo

I wouldn't know what to do WITH the antlers if I shot a big buck or bull! I hunt for meat. If I did shoot a buck, I'd probably give the antlers away or leave 'em lay. I sure as hell am not going to spend my hard-earned money on taxidermy so they can hang on my wall. The meat, on the other hand, I'm using every last scrap. Honestly (and I'm really really being honest here), if a massive 10-point mature buck and a 1 1/2-year old big, fat juicy doe were standing broadside, I'm shooting the doe EVERY time. I have zero use for antlers.

Emrah

I had a couple of tough seasons a few years back. I lost a really nice muley buck the first year, and a really dandy bull elk the following year. Both appeared to be good shots, but for whatever reason, did not do the job. I have taken my share of animals with a bow, and with a rifle. In 25+ years of hunting, I had lost only one deer, a muley buck. After losing these two animals, two years in a row, I almost hung up my hunting hat.... I lost a lot of sleep, and beat myself up about it constantly.

I expressed how I was feeling to my best hunting buddy, who also happens to be my wife. She asked how I could give up something I loved to do more than anything else, and lived the entire rest of the year for. She said, "maybe what you really need to do is go back to basics, the whole reason why you love to hunt in the first place." I'm not sure why I, myself, had not thought about this, except I'd been blinded by the bone, and succumbed to the peer pressure to bring home only "the big one".

One of my other hunting partners is infatuated with big head gear as well, and we do a lot of back country hunts together. My wife had mentioned shooting a cow during one of these hunts, and he said, "there's no way I would shoot a cow way back here". She then came back with, "what's the difference between a bull and a cow except the antlers, and the cow generally tastes better?" That really hit home with me, what IS the difference, why is one "worthy of a long arduous pack out", and the other isn't? Just because they don't pack antlers, doesn't mean they aren't tough to hunt.....

So two years ago, with a general tag, and an additional cow/calf tag in my pocket, we headed out during archery season. The elk were active, and we were having several encounters daily. My wife had to return to work, leaving my other partner and I to hunt. The first afternoon, about 3 1/2 miles in, we were in the elk, we split up and went after them. I ended up arrowing a yearling cow at last shooting light. I got her quartered and hung in the dark, and took neck meat, backstraps, and tenderloins out with me that night. When I got back to camp, he knew I had gotten something, I told him I had gotten a cow, and it was ready to pack in the morning. He couldn't believe I shot a cow back there, and complained about it the whole rest of the day, although he did it with 1/2 an elk on his back.....

We took my cow back to town to hang in my cooler, then headed back up that night, to continue our hunt. My partner ended up shooting a raghorn 5 point the next morning, in almost the same place I got the cow. We got him quartered and bagged to pack, he was about the same size body wise as my cow. I took backstraps, and a front and rear quarter, and he took neck meat, tenderloins, and front and back quarter. He then looks at me and says, "what about the antlers, I can't leave them", I said, "if you want them, you pack them, guess maybe you should have shot a cow, then it wouldn't be a concern." He made a special trip back in the next day to get them, and complained about it the whole time.......

I ended up shooting another elk that year, a nice young calf, best eating I've had in a LONG time. Mostly what I got that year was a nice big piece of humble pie, best I've ever had.......

In the end, sometimes what we all need to do is go back to that time when we hunted because we loved to be there, not because we need the biggest rack, or set of horns to prove to ourselves that we are somehow "better" than those who harvest the "lesser" animals........

Jbo

Should be on the first page of every hunting magazine in the country!

I wouldn't know what to do WITH the antlers if I shot a big buck or bull! I hunt for meat. If I did shoot a buck, I'd probably give the antlers away or leave 'em lay. I sure as hell am not going to spend my hard-earned money on taxidermy so they can hang on my wall. The meat, on the other hand, I'm using every last scrap. Honestly (and I'm really really being honest here), if a massive 10-point mature buck and a 1 1/2-year old big, fat juicy doe were standing broadside, I'm shooting the doe EVERY time. I have zero use for antlers.

Emrah

I can appreciate this viewpoint and respect you for it.

But, me personally? I like a big set of antlers as much as the next guy. But it's not the primary reason I hunt. To me if it has a nice rack it's a bonus. I have a couple fair looking bucks on my wall. They are the two biggest I have ever killed. I enjoy looking at them and admiring the beautiful animals they are.

I try to let small antlers walk and would rather kill a doe than a little buck. But if I'm not seeing does I'll shoot a small buck before I do without venison. I'm hoping to apply for a CO cow tag this year. It will be only my second elk hunt and my first cow tag. I like my odds of filling it compared to coming home with nothing but an unfilled bull tag in my pocket.

I'll know if I am applying in about a week when the rest of my group applies. If I can't I may try for an OTC archery tag later after work picks up.

I like a good adventure. But I'm ready to get bull that is not a good eating elk. I always get the elk that everybody's first comments are Hey that will eat good or you can't eat antlers. I'm ready to chew on antlers.

Your friend is missing out, plain and simple. Any elk is a good elk. It is surprising to me that most easterners and midwesterners are more than happy to kill a doe as their first deer but they want their first elk to be a 330" wall hanger.

I also agree with the narrative above about some guys not thinking that it is worth the trouble to pack out a cow elk from the backcountry. Of course it is worth it. The horn-hunter crowd sees the antlers as the prize and packing the meat out as a burden. I would feel more satisfaction packing out a cow from several miles into the backcountry than backing my truck up to a 350" bull in a pasture.

When you look at the success rates on even cow elk hunts versus whitetail hunting in the eastern and midwestern states it is obvious that killing a cow elk is more difficult than killing a deer so maybe your friend just isn't up to the challenge.

Any elk is a hard earned trophy... horns or not! I have hunted in MT all my life and the only one with horns was a Spike... every other elk filled the freezer up nicely! Never been a horn hunter, although this year I drew one of the "horn hunter" tags... a big bull should fill the freezer up nicely, but taste nowhere as good as the spike or yearling cows I have harvested.

Jbo

That is funny right there! He had to make another trip just for the scrawny head gear. I wonder if he learned anything?

Overall, I have packed cows out farther than any of the bulls that I have shot over the years.

I had a body ask if I wanted to go to Stuttgart next year (apparently the world capital of duck hunting). It will be in November. I told him I wasn't sure if I could or not because I applied for elk tags and wasn't sure if or when I would get drawn. He said "Forget your elk hunt!" He doesn't even care for duck meat and said he has no interest in hunting a cow elk. I'll enjoy my high country elk hunt a lot more than his shooting ducks in a barrel. And have a whole lot more meat and better tasting meat if I manage to tag out.

My son had a antlerless elk tag a few years ago. I have always said you don't shoot a cow unless you can see the truck or ATV and they are uphill. Not because they are not worth packing out, but because with a little patience we can usually find one close to a road which is easier to pack out.

On this particular hunt, My son had come home from his first year of college for thanksgiving. We went out for a day hunt and found a big herd of elk that was in a pretty good spot as an ATV trail was close. They were about four miles away across a big canyon. We got on the atv's and were going to get closer and then go hunt them. Because of deep snow and drifts, we ran out of daylight before we could make the 10 mile trip around the top of the canyon and back down the ridge to where the elk were. We decided to come back the next day and try to get one.
The next morning we were back up on the ridge but the elk were no where to be found. we split up to try to find where the elk went. About an hour later my son had came and found me because he had found the elk. Of course they had dropped down into a deep canyon and were lazily feeding on a south facing slope. He was ready to go get one. I on the other hand was telling him we should wait for an elk in a better spot. He wasn't having any of it and was determined to go get one. I told him if I couldn't talk him out of it to go ahead. He took off and in about 15 minutes had a nice young cow down. I went and got our backpacks off the ATV and met him down at the elk. We boned out the elk and put 1/2 in each pack. On the pack out I have to admit I was pretty proud of my son. I remember thinking that this is something we will both remember.

Great thread, and timely with this year being my first opportunity to hunt elk. I'm going to Colorado for the first rifle season (5 days), DIY backpack hunt on public land. I decided to only apply for a bull tag. My in-laws raise livestock and I get a 1/4 cow and 1/2 pig every year, so I don't "need" the meat a cow elk would represent. With such a short hunt, shooting a cow and packing it out would take time away from when I could be bull hunting.

Because I'm only hunting for a bull, I am accepting that I'll have lower odds of a kill. My odds of success are just as high though - to see elk, to backpack and camp in a national forest at 8000-9000 feet, to learn a new area and a new method of hunting, pictures and memories for a lifetime, and 5 days of peace and quiet (I have a 16 month old!). Success isn't always measured in kills.

Every year around here I see elk killed and then "gifted" to someone else after the person who shot the bull cuts off the head and the tenderloins. this drives me up the wall. I will shoot a cow and pick up some sheds the next spring if I really want some horns but I don't see the point to killing a big bull to give all the meat away because you don't like elk, IF YOU DONT EAT IT DONT KILL IT.
arggggggh!!! Im not disagreeing with anyone on here either by the way I totally support everybodys opinion of what they harvest should be because as long as its legal its totally up to the hunter and I will never look down on anyone who legally harvests and uses their animals.

Every year around here I see elk killed and then "gifted" to someone else after the person who shot the bull cuts off the head and the tenderloins. this drives me up the wall. I will shoot a cow and pick up some sheds the next spring if I really want some horns but I don't see the point to killing a big bull to give all the meat away because you don't like elk, IF YOU DONT EAT IT DONT KILL IT.
arggggggh!!! Im not disagreeing with anyone on here either by the way I totally support everybodys opinion of what they harvest should be because as long as its legal its totally up to the hunter and I will never look down on anyone who legally harvests and uses their animals.

As long as someone eats it, I don't see a problem. I like to hunt, and I like to eat wild game. But I end up with way more meat every year than my small family can possibly eat. I usually gift several deer and hogs each year to friends and family.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back