Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

every elk is a trophy

I'm all in on the cow elk and for that matter a doe antelope too. I just like being out there doing it.

Whatever trips your trigger

I just love eating BIG OLD animals and fondling BIG ANTLERS and HORNS. I especially enjoy HUNTING for those ones.

If somebody else wants to shoot small, young ones, with no horns or tiny horns, and small amounts of meat that taste no better than the BIG ONES - more power to them. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Next time some of you leave those big antlers in the hills (if you ever do shoot one of them), please save the GPS coordinates for me. I sold $1500 worth of crappy white antlers this year. That buys a lot of Cavier and Coldsmoke.

As long as someone eats it, I don't see a problem. I like to hunt, and I like to eat wild game. But I end up with way more meat every year than my small family can possibly eat. I usually gift several deer and hogs each year to friends and family.
True, I do the same thing myself to an extent. However when I was typing this I actually was thinking of a particular incident last year where a ranch manager and his son shot 2 bulls (which I think is great) but the only thing they did with the two bulls was cut the heads off with a chainsaw and since they specifically don't like to eat elk, the bulls were hung up and were given to any of the workers who wanted to take them home skin em butcher em and process em. In cases like this I just feel like there are a lot more appreciative and respectful hunters out there who would have loved an opportunity at either of these bulls.
But to each his own and as long as the meat is used and hunters are represented in an appropriate manner it is totally aceptable. And if you give it away hopefully it is to a particular person or charity who you have in mind before harvesting it.

Wow! This kind of story just kind of sticks in my throat. But, those who can do will do.
Dad's family were all ranchers and to them cattle and sheep were money on the hoof. The younger guys were sent out on their horses with a pack string to bring in the game so they didn't have to butcher their $$$$ standing out in the pasture.Might be the old way of thinking, but just how we grew up?

True, I do the same thing myself to an extent. However when I was typing this I actually was thinking of a particular incident last year where a ranch manager and his son shot 2 bulls (which I think is great) but the only thing they did with the two bulls was cut the heads off with a chainsaw and since they specifically don't like to eat elk, the bulls were hung up and were given to any of the workers who wanted to take them home skin em butcher em and process em. In cases like this I just feel like there are a lot more appreciative and respectful hunters out there who would have loved an opportunity at either of these bulls.
But to each his own and as long as the meat is used and hunters are represented in an appropriate manner it is totally aceptable. And if you give it away hopefully it is to a particular person or charity who you have in mind before harvesting it.

I've been blessed to take two elk in Montana on both of my elk hunts. First was a cow and second was a 4x4 bull. Both times I gladly took all of my meat with me back to PA. Some of the best eating game I have ever ate. I have however been on hunts where it wasn't feasible or legal to bring it home with me. The main concern with all us hunters know matter what your hunting style or trophy consist of. Is the use of all edible meat. We owe it to the animal we harvested and in using all of it disallow the anti's any ammunition in our fight against ending hunting.

I can see how that could bother a person. That said, as long as they don't go to waste I don't care who eats them or who shoots them as long as it's done legally. If I get a cow (or 2) this year I don't plan on sharing as we'll eat ever bit that we process.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back