Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ever feel frustrated?

wllm1313, Thank you for replying to each point, I appreciate your insight.

I find it interesting how many people on HT are so against new hunters. (Mostly not true) (I digress on this point, since most read it as new member, versus new hunter as written. I also understand that knowledge should be earned, including mentorship and trust)

I thought new hunter recruitment and retention was one of our goals? (Yep)

I understand the aversion to giving away you honey-hole, special spot, best hunting place. What I do not understand is the lack of support for a generalized discussion about an area. (The forum is public, aka "google-able" most members prefer information exchanges to be with known persons, one person will read a question but potentially thousands will read the reply) (Again, absolutely agree. Private messages should be used to share specific knowledge, but openly pummeling a new hunter simply because he asks seems a bit harsh. Yes, I am relatively new to HT, but I am not young, and not thin skinned)

ANYONE who spends more than a casual week on any hunting forum will be well informed of most of the resources out there. There are banner adds everywhere for goHunt, onX, and the state "planner" websites. All this information should be considered common knowledge by now. Heck, I am from Tennessee and I found all the land owned and leased by a prominent Elk outfitter in a western state just by searching it on one of these programs. (Agreed, this is a forum for public land hunters, not one of those planner resources, we don't get paid to give you tips) (Agree this is a public land hunter focused forum, agreed you don't get paid to give tips and information)

With the invention of, and highly promoted, E-scouting touted by our HT owner and proprietor, you would think that people on here would be a little more open to sharing the tidbits (privately) about areas they may have hunted in the past. I have no secrets, and if someone posts a question about an area I have hunted, I feel obligated to point out things I learned about the unit and places overlooked by most. (All do respect, bull shit, or you don't have anything worth sharing... said from someone who joined in '15 with nothing worth sharing and now shares cause he still doesn't) (This would be the exact passive aggressive statement #1 that I am talking about. You basically proved my point.)

My frustration comes when every time a newer hunter posts a thread asking for a some help, the forum (police) immediately jump the thread and go into "don't tell people about hunting xxx, it might actually cause them to go" mode. What the &@*%??? (If you don't have the perseverance to get through a little hazing good luck with the elk) (Hazing is slightly different than openly aggressive behavior.)

THIS is the reason why people who should be hunting, don't. Some of you will say, "good riddance", or "more for me then". But I feel you are missing the bigger picture. (Naaaaaa, there are reasons, rejection by a bunch of keyboard warriors on a forum isn't one of them) (I partially agree with this mindset, but openly discouraging people to ask questions and advice seems counterproductive to hunter engagement)

I live in one of the most biological diverse locations in the entire US, The Great Smoky Mountain National Park area. We have whitetail, turkey, black bear, elk, and a lot of other fowl, fish, and small game animals. I openly share my knowledge of the area with NR hunters, hikers, and visitors so that they can be successful. This is how we help them continue to personally grow, and grow the sport. These NR are only around for a few weeks, shunning them because you are greedy beleaguered exploiters is not helping anyone in the grander scheme of things. (Yeah well we live in the west it's 24/7, 365 not a few weeks, and people are moving here by the hundreds of thousands, state populations are doubling in peoples life times, we have tourists here in the summer, during the winter skiing, fall and spring hunting and biking... it's a perpetual shit show of people, it drives our economies and pays our bills but also grates on our nerves) (Muwahahaha, obviously you have never been to Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville, TN. Actual population is very low. From March 1st through Jan 10th every year we are inundated with tourists from all over the country. Visiting the GSMNP, Dollywood, hunting, fishing, etc. We dislike rude tourist as much as any western town and also understand they are out lifeblood. We tolerate them with southern grace and "Bless your heart" has a different meaning around these parts)

You want to know why NR hunters hire outfitters and pay more for a hunt. Because of the people who are not willing to share hunting knowledge. Currently a western state is entertaining the idea of slashing NR tags and giving a lot more to outfitters. I would normally jump on the opportunity to write an actual letter to the governor and state legislatures about this proposed bill to try and sway their thoughts. But honestly, as the time goes on, I see how we treat our own here on HT, and I question as a TN resident why we let so many of you openly come hunt my state when you are not willing to reciprocate. (Dude, and I'm not trying to be a huge ass here... no one from CO, MT, WY, etc comes to TN to hunt, your NR are from Florida or Georgia... just the reality) (I don't doubt this at all. You have much better hunting/fishing than we do. More wild places and more public lands. But my offer still stands if someone wants to do an Eastern Turkey/Whitetail hunt)

Some final thoughts and then I will don my flame suit for what will most definitely be a CA wildfire.
First, we all started somewhere. No one was born with all the knowledge of every unit in every state to hunt.
Secondly, treating others as you would like to be treated could go a long way to improve how we perceive ourselves and other hunters.
Lastly, if you want to hunt Tennessee black bears, turkey, hogs, or whitetails, hit me up and I will try and help you be successful in your hunt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I joined the forum as a non hunting adult, hung around for a couple of years, engaged with some great folks, and learned a ton. To be honest I think hunting spots are the least valuable thing the forum has to offer... if that's what your looking for there is a Doc Holiday meme for you. (Absolutely agree. Learning new things about western hunting is valuable)

What this forum does offer, in spades, is 1. a diverse, active, and supportive hunting community and 2. a profusion of knowledge about, e-scouting, habitat, regulations, equipment, tactics (Agreed in most aspects)

The motto of the forum seems to be: "Give a man a hunting spot and he hunts for a season; teach a man to find his own spots and you feed him for a lifetime.” (agreed completely)

Some parting words, search the forums for threads about first timers sharing their hunts... might help you understand why people stick around.

This original post may have come off as me "whining/complaining/crying", but this thread proved my point in spades. I wasn't whining, I was frustrated in how we treat new hunters, huge difference.
I enjoyed each and every comment whether you agreed in whole or in part, or disagreed.
Everyone defines a new user/hunter differently. I have read 100's of threads, just because I don't comment doesn't mean that I am not learning or paying attention.
There are people on here that believe in expanding the sport by mentoring and supporting "new hunters". I appreciate what you do, the knowledge you impart, and how you present the information. Thank you.

What I think is funny is the guys that win a gun on a $1 lottery ticket at a banquet and then come on here wanting to sell it for full retail price...

Now that would even cross my ethical line. I have seen this on the "Hide" in the past after competitions. People using prizes to fuel their passion, but I have never agreed with the principal.

wllm1313, Thank you for replying to each point, I appreciate your insight.

I find it interesting how many people on HT are so against new hunters. (Mostly not true) (I digress on this point, since most read it as new member, versus new hunter as written. I also understand that knowledge should be earned, including mentorship and trust)

I thought new hunter recruitment and retention was one of our goals? (Yep)

I understand the aversion to giving away you honey-hole, special spot, best hunting place. What I do not understand is the lack of support for a generalized discussion about an area. (The forum is public, aka "google-able" most members prefer information exchanges to be with known persons, one person will read a question but potentially thousands will read the reply) (Again, absolutely agree. Private messages should be used to share specific knowledge, but openly pummeling a new hunter simply because he asks seems a bit harsh. Yes, I am relatively new to HT, but I am not young, and not thin skinned)

ANYONE who spends more than a casual week on any hunting forum will be well informed of most of the resources out there. There are banner adds everywhere for goHunt, onX, and the state "planner" websites. All this information should be considered common knowledge by now. Heck, I am from Tennessee and I found all the land owned and leased by a prominent Elk outfitter in a western state just by searching it on one of these programs. (Agreed, this is a forum for public land hunters, not one of those planner resources, we don't get paid to give you tips) (Agree this is a public land hunter focused forum, agreed you don't get paid to give tips and information)

With the invention of, and highly promoted, E-scouting touted by our HT owner and proprietor, you would think that people on here would be a little more open to sharing the tidbits (privately) about areas they may have hunted in the past. I have no secrets, and if someone posts a question about an area I have hunted, I feel obligated to point out things I learned about the unit and places overlooked by most. (All do respect, bull shit, or you don't have anything worth sharing... said from someone who joined in '15 with nothing worth sharing and now shares cause he still doesn't) (This would be the exact passive aggressive statement #1 that I am talking about. You basically proved my point.)

My frustration comes when every time a newer hunter posts a thread asking for a some help, the forum (police) immediately jump the thread and go into "don't tell people about hunting xxx, it might actually cause them to go" mode. What the &@*%??? (If you don't have the perseverance to get through a little hazing good luck with the elk) (Hazing is slightly different than openly aggressive behavior.)

THIS is the reason why people who should be hunting, don't. Some of you will say, "good riddance", or "more for me then". But I feel you are missing the bigger picture. (Naaaaaa, there are reasons, rejection by a bunch of keyboard warriors on a forum isn't one of them) (I partially agree with this mindset, but openly discouraging people to ask questions and advice seems counterproductive to hunter engagement)

I live in one of the most biological diverse locations in the entire US, The Great Smoky Mountain National Park area. We have whitetail, turkey, black bear, elk, and a lot of other fowl, fish, and small game animals. I openly share my knowledge of the area with NR hunters, hikers, and visitors so that they can be successful. This is how we help them continue to personally grow, and grow the sport. These NR are only around for a few weeks, shunning them because you are greedy beleaguered exploiters is not helping anyone in the grander scheme of things. (Yeah well we live in the west it's 24/7, 365 not a few weeks, and people are moving here by the hundreds of thousands, state populations are doubling in peoples life times, we have tourists here in the summer, during the winter skiing, fall and spring hunting and biking... it's a perpetual shit show of people, it drives our economies and pays our bills but also grates on our nerves) (Muwahahaha, obviously you have never been to Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville, TN. Actual population is very low. From March 1st through Jan 10th every year we are inundated with tourists from all over the country. Visiting the GSMNP, Dollywood, hunting, fishing, etc. We dislike rude tourist as much as any western town and also understand they are out lifeblood. We tolerate them with southern grace and "Bless your heart" has a different meaning around these parts)

You want to know why NR hunters hire outfitters and pay more for a hunt. Because of the people who are not willing to share hunting knowledge. Currently a western state is entertaining the idea of slashing NR tags and giving a lot more to outfitters. I would normally jump on the opportunity to write an actual letter to the governor and state legislatures about this proposed bill to try and sway their thoughts. But honestly, as the time goes on, I see how we treat our own here on HT, and I question as a TN resident why we let so many of you openly come hunt my state when you are not willing to reciprocate. (Dude, and I'm not trying to be a huge ass here... no one from CO, MT, WY, etc comes to TN to hunt, your NR are from Florida or Georgia... just the reality) (I don't doubt this at all. You have much better hunting/fishing than we do. More wild places and more public lands. But my offer still stands if someone wants to do an Eastern Turkey/Whitetail hunt)

Some final thoughts and then I will don my flame suit for what will most definitely be a CA wildfire.
First, we all started somewhere. No one was born with all the knowledge of every unit in every state to hunt.
Secondly, treating others as you would like to be treated could go a long way to improve how we perceive ourselves and other hunters.
Lastly, if you want to hunt Tennessee black bears, turkey, hogs, or whitetails, hit me up and I will try and help you be successful in your hunt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I joined the forum as a non hunting adult, hung around for a couple of years, engaged with some great folks, and learned a ton. To be honest I think hunting spots are the least valuable thing the forum has to offer... if that's what your looking for there is a Doc Holiday meme for you. (Absolutely agree. Learning new things about western hunting is valuable)

What this forum does offer, in spades, is 1. a diverse, active, and supportive hunting community and 2. a profusion of knowledge about, e-scouting, habitat, regulations, equipment, tactics (Agreed in most aspects)

The motto of the forum seems to be: "Give a man a hunting spot and he hunts for a season; teach a man to find his own spots and you feed him for a lifetime.” (agreed completely)

Some parting words, search the forums for threads about first timers sharing their hunts... might help you understand why people stick around.

This original post may have come off as me "whining/complaining/crying", but this thread proved my point in spades. I wasn't whining, I was frustrated in how we treat new hunters, huge difference.
I enjoyed each and every comment whether you agreed in whole or in part, or disagreed.
Everyone defines a new user/hunter differently. I have read 100's of threads, just because I don't comment doesn't mean that I am not learning or paying attention.
There are people on here that believe in expanding the sport by mentoring and supporting "new hunters". I appreciate what you do, the knowledge you impart, and how you present the information. Thank you.

Rokslide I guess?

Can I get coordinates to those rocks? Long time lurker first time poster here.......

Here ya go, highest point in elevation in the area, also happens to be a radio tower pad, on a clear day you can see Disneyland, over 15 bucks were spotted and taken from the rock just off the west side of the radio towers by me or people hunting with me. Meaningful Glassing is limited to the first and last hour of the day plus overcast/rainy days, most of the bucks are nocturnal during the season but with good glass you can pick em up in grey light and follow em to their bed in the “jungle”. Focus on areas the forest service has done fire breaks.6AB1F668-0C0B-4379-B5A5-EA9276F29A66.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not sure I agree with you. I have been here for a little while now, I came for the knowledge that I can get. About what pack works and what everyone carries, I put in what I think I need. What to expect as far as once you do get an animal down, before I just hunted whitetails and would just get them out whole. Was able to get a cow elk on my first hunt and was not even worried as I walk up to it knowing that I was 1.5 miles from the road.

If you want to know where to go r where are all the 350+ bulls you maybe right this is not the site for that. Or I have not found that post on here yet!!

I get hit up a lot for spots by people traveling to Idaho. I’ll give general thoughts, areas but not drainages.

The farther East, the more I’ll help.

Utah and flatbills get a hard No, except for Grizzly.

Foreigners get a lot of help for traveling to the US and spending their travel money here.

I am not sure I agree with you. I have been here for a little while now, I came for the knowledge that I can get. About what pack works and what everyone carries, I put in what I think I need. What to expect as far as once you do get an animal down, before I just hunted whitetails and would just get them out whole. Was able to get a cow elk on my first hunt and was not even worried as I walk up to it knowing that I was 1.5 miles from the road.

If you want to know where to go r where are all the 350+ bulls you maybe right this is not the site for that. Or I have not found that post on here yet!!

This is a very similar description of my expectations and experience. I learned a lot strategy wise that I have been able to apply to my deer hunting (hopefully out west one day too). It helped lead me to my best season, more encounters and a nice one for my area

There is a wealth of information on this site for anyone who wants to dig in to it a little bit. It is also nice to be able to ask about specific gear from folks that use it in a similar fashion.

I wasn't whining, I was frustrated in how we treat new hunters, huge difference.
Everyone defines a new user/hunter differently.
New hunters and first time posters are nowhere near the same thing. New posters with a 4-line message asking for where to find the animals are usually older dudes with decades of hunting under their belt, and no concept of the ramifications of discussing such things on a public forum indexed by google. And the HT’ers who publicly tell them where to go are the same demographic.

New hunters, on the other hand, are usually younger and tend to understand the technology better. They ask different questions. I’ll do everything I can to help out a new hunter, including a pitch on the joys of e scouting, creating a hunt plan, and the satisfaction of having your plan work after many failures. Too many damn people just want a shortcut, and they don’t realize they’re the ones who lose by getting one.

I'm a new guy here and have to say,I would never ask for your honey hole or hunt it without asking you once you told me but I'm getting a few responses from my post,hopefully get some new hunting buddies and learn this new area were I live,I think the info I get from you all is pretty cool really glad I fount this HT,a lot of the other sites are crap,and no members to be found,thats for the help it's appreciated

New hunters and first time posters are nowhere near the same thing. New posters with a 4-line message asking for where to find the animals are usually older dudes with decades of hunting under their belt, and no concept of the ramifications of discussing such things on a public forum indexed by google. And the HT’ers who publicly tell them where to go are the same demographic.

New hunters, on the other hand, are usually younger and tend to understand the technology better. They ask different questions. I’ll do everything I can to help out a new hunter, including a pitch on the joys of e scouting, creating a hunt plan, and the satisfaction of having your plan work after many failures. Too many damn people just want a shortcut, and they don’t realize they’re the ones who lose by getting one.

I appreciate your mentorship along with some of the others who have posted here. Asking questions, receiving direction for knowledge (ie, pointed in the right direction), and a camaraderie towards a common goal. This was what I am talking about and sort of expected on this forum. Thank you for being a good mentor.

Rokslide I guess?
Honestly, I do not frequent any other hunting forums after viewing them. My time is limited and my other hobbies (family and shooting rifles) are more important to me than being deeply involved in conversations. I do enjoy the banter on HT between the common thread leaders and posters. I try to stick with "listen with your two ears/eyes before you open your one mouth" and "it is better to remain quiet and let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". I failed on this thread and should have just kept moving along in life.

This topic stirred the pot way beyond what I expected or wanted. I am more than glad to lick my spoon (covered in elk/deer/pronghorn/bear sign).

No this thread was not to "stir the pot". I was genuinely concerned and frustrated on the many posts read, and posted, of people getting crushed. Now I understand another layer of the HT community standards and feel more enlightened by this thread.

(Muwahahaha, obviously you have never been to Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville, TN. Actual population is very low. From March 1st through Jan 10th every year we are inundated with tourists from all over the country. Visiting the GSMNP, Dollywood, hunting, fishing, etc. We dislike rude tourist as much as any western town and also understand they are out lifeblood. We tolerate them with southern grace and "Bless your heart" has a different meaning around these parts)
Truth. I guided whitewater and fishing out of Hartford a few years. Population is probably like 600 people until rafting season then it's a shitshow...lol simply the number of raft guides outnumber the local population it seems like. Man that was some good damn times tho!
I never knew moonshine could taste good. 👌

I just encouraged a guy to try and hunt the unlimiteds..... even invited him to go with. I will say mule deer is a touchy subject with me but I'm always willing to help a guy or gal out if they put some effort forth. Looking to complete my squirrel slam what's the chances of maybe picking your brain on a few areas😉
How about a skunk slam. We got spotted, stripped, and albino... :p

What I get really frustrated about, is that I have never, ever gotten a PM asking about mule deer in the Bitterroot. Weirdest thing.

From pics I’ve seen lately, the best spot to find a mule deer there is in the belly of a cat!

I agree with alot said on this issue Im a Pa guy that goes to Idaho this yr will be 5th time with a few Co. hunts also I see new folks this time of year showing up and asking it seems about where to go without knowing basics of western hunting at all even about tag system OTC vs draw
I have given the best advice I can on gear mostly archery, I dont do much gun hunting and the equipment I use and the things that helped me with my learning curve on elk hunting and am even thinking about bringing someone I met on here with me this year (but still havent given exact canyons and draws yet) and he gets that
And even commented if anyone even gets a Pa elk tag im happy to help them out in harvesting one if I can Well as long as I dont draw the same year cause then the heck with them lol
also have been given great help with my plan to start the 5 to 10 yr adventure of the unlimited units cause I think its my only shot to ever hunt sheep
But if someone doesnt do their own research and planning and just want to know where to go the real chance of them going is slim IMO, and I wouldnt give much info either cause those seem to be a one post or two them gone
This isnt a comment on the person that started this thread or anyone in particular just my observations

I think a lot of it can come down to who writes an introduction, some background, and then asks. As opposed to someone that just comes on and asks. And I think a lot of times its people already hunting, not new hunters that rub some the wrong way. Some young buck who's killed him some whitetails and you can tell from how he comes on first what it is he thinks of himself. I guess I'm assuming first time hunters come on and say "first time hunter and I'd like to try my luck in whatever state. can you help me get started". As opposed to "hey I want to hunt x, where should I go?"

But yes, a bunch of hard core hunters in a forum can be intimidating to a newby. Everyone needs to understand that and reply with that in mind.

It would be interesting if Big Fin could provide us with some stats.

How many people create accounts never to comment?

Or how many create accounts, start a thread asking a question, and then provide minimal content for the rest of their existence here?

How many folks use their accounts to chiefly ask questions, and that’s it?

How many create accounts in June, July or August, then disappear?

Some of those questions would be impossible to mine a database for, but some you could. There is a rich history here of people perceivably “using” the community, either in public or PM. Taking and not giving.

Some ways are better ways than others to start from scratch in the world of hunting on a hunting forum. I’ve never had to do it, and understand how some folks could be blindsided by the frustration. It’s tough to give if you are new, but there’s a lot of examples of folks doing it. This is a pretty “mature” forum, in the sense that most “types” of comments have been provided enough so that patterns can be recognized. A genuine signal will be hard to discern from the noise if it mimics a certain type of pattern.

If nine out of someone’s first ten comments fit the pattern of asking for knowledge from
others, sometimes hard-earned, a new member is not doing themselves any favors.

Last edited:
Back