Ever feel frustrated?

i have poured over hours of forums. Exhausted resources to the end of the internet over the last 5 years. Paid for elk University. Scouted every weekend of the summer. Hunted deep in the back country 10+ miles back and have yet to see elk anywhere other than private land in Colorado. At this point I'm convinced that the only elk left in colorado are the small herd of elk that wonder past my back yard south of Denver taunting me all winter. Hopefully someone finds the comedy in that. Any advice on tactics would be awesome, i never have a problem finding sign, although it tends to be at least a week old as if to say "you just missed us". This year I spent more time than ever scouting an area of unit 82 in colorado that had absolutely no sign of human activity. When september came around I ran into 10 other hunters 6 miles back through blowdown timber and the roughest country I have hiked in a long time. Now don't get me wrong I love seeing people getting out and enjoying public land , someday I would like to actually harvest an elk, any legal elk. If nothing else other than show the wife that this is something worth me pursuing every year. I am not looking for specific spots, drainages, or roads. Just an idea of tactics that work well in the unit.

I just encouraged a guy to try and hunt the unlimiteds..... even invited him to go with. I will say mule deer is a touchy subject with me but I'm always willing to help a guy or gal out if they put some effort forth. Looking to complete my squirrel slam what's the chances of maybe picking your brain on a few areas😉
😂 Come on down to NC. We got the big fox squirrels in my area.

i have poured over hours of forums. Exhausted resources to the end of the internet over the last 5 years. Paid for elk University. Scouted every weekend of the summer. Hunted deep in the back country 10+ miles back and have yet to see elk anywhere other than private land in Colorado. At this point I'm convinced that the only elk left in colorado are the small herd of elk that wonder past my back yard south of Denver taunting me all winter. Hopefully someone finds the comedy in that. Any advice on tactics would be awesome, i never have a problem finding sign, although it tends to be at least a week old as if to say "you just missed us". This year I spent more time than ever scouting an area of unit 82 in colorado that had absolutely no sign of human activity. When september came around I ran into 10 other hunters 6 miles back through blowdown timber and the roughest country I have hiked in a long time. Now don't get me wrong I love seeing people getting out and enjoying public land , someday I would like to actually harvest an elk, any legal elk. If nothing else other than show the wife that this is something worth me pursuing every year. I am not looking for specific spots, drainages, or roads. Just an idea of tactics that work well in the unit.
Welcome to HT!

Welcome to HT!
Haha. Thanks man! Sorry to jump into the forum that way. I finally broke down after a week in the back country and encountering only other hunters and decided to join a forum. 5 years with no elk and months of work starts to wear you down. One day I hope to contribute more to this but I dont feel I have earned the right yet since I have yet to have success. Maybe someday after I have some success I can post on here the journey. Haha

I agree with you only in part. First, there are some jerks in here that do lurk in the background and come out now and then to stir the pot and go back to lurking. However, those are the minority. I have met a few in person and will meet a few more when I go elk hunting. So I will say the majority in here are good people and treat people right. Old saying, jerks will be jerks. You have to wander away from those types and focus on the good. Sometimes I forget to do that myself.

Second, I prefer to help those who help themselves. I learned a long time ago if you just give people handouts they keep demanding more and taking more but rarely show any appreciation or give anything in return. Once people see you are doing your own research and your own work and you are appreciating what others say and do, they will step in and help you get over the hump.

Finally, TN being the most biological diverse area of the country? I beg to differ on that. You got options in TN but not more than other states. Just different.

Like a job or community, it's the new member's job to adapt to the forum rules, written and unwritten. Not the other way around. I've been a member for 2 years and I still feel like an FNG. I made the mistake of posting one of my first posts as a creedmoor thread and got hazed! I wanted to learn so, I didn't tuck my tail and quit. I stuck around while remembering that this is the internet and you Need thick skin. Also, giving info and not expecting it, goes a long way!

Like a job or community, it's the new member's job to adapt to the forum rules, written and unwritten. Not the other way around. I've been a member for 2 years and I still feel like an FNG. I made the mistake of posting one of my first posts as a creedmoor thread and got hazed! I wanted to learn so, I didn't tuck my tail and quit. I stuck around while remembering that this is the internet and you Need thick skin. Also, giving info and not expecting it, goes a long way!
Not sure if this is referring to my post but either way good thing thick skin isn't an issue. I never take myself seriously on these things. Just looking for some good pointers on how to approach a unit, more than go hunt provides. That info is so vague its ridiculous. I know elk hunting, especially archery with no pack animals is no small task. However, i guess I'm just looking for an approach to hunting unit 82 in colorado that gives me a starting place. For instance I glassed for half the hunt yielding no results, called for the other half yielding no results. I actually grew up elk hunting new mexico, and we always filled the freezer with those tactics. I guess the colorado crowds require a different approach. Just not sure what that approach is.

Not sure if this is referring to my post but either way good thing thick skin isn't an issue. I never take myself seriously on these things. Just looking for some good pointers on how to approach a unit, more than go hunt provides. That info is so vague its ridiculous. I know elk hunting, especially archery with no pack animals is no small task. However, i guess I'm just looking for an approach to hunting unit 82 in colorado that gives me a starting place. For instance I glassed for half the hunt yielding no results, called for the other half yielding no results. I actually grew up elk hunting new mexico, and we always filled the freezer with those tactics. I guess the colorado crowds require a different approach. Just not sure what that approach is.
No, didn't read yours, it was towards the OP's post

C
Corey J just had a podcast recently that discussed this very issue. To quote him, "CO elk are different than anywhere else. They bugle back, but quietly. There are so many elk that there is no big 'rut' like in the other states." Working the lines of the unit near the private to public may be helpful in at least seeing the movement trails for the elk going back and forth. I personally have not looked at that unit since I tend to stay over in the western slope area for hunting.

This thread was originally started as an example of how you just posted. Frustrated, overworked, and with little success, you came here, hoping for a shred of assistance. The HTers are a group full of knowledge and experience and I hope that some of the other CO elk hunters can help you get that first one and point you in the right direction for future success.

C

Corey J just had a podcast recently that discussed this very issue. To quote him, "CO elk are different than anywhere else. They bugle back, but quietly. There are so many elk that there is no big 'rut' like in the other states." Working the lines of the unit near the private to public may be helpful in at least seeing the movement trails for the elk going back and forth. I personally have not looked at that unit since I tend to stay over in the western slope area for hunting.

This thread was originally started as an example of how you just posted. Frustrated, overworked, and with little success, you came here, hoping for a shred of assistance. The HTers are a group full of knowledge and experience and I hope that some of the other CO elk hunters can help you get that first one and point you in the right direction for future success.
Its a good thing september isn't over! I may give that a shot next weekend and during 1st rifle. Being new here I have to say I am guilty of just google searching and just reading posts but figured I might as well join. If I can offer anyone reading this one bit of shared advice, don't make the mistake of going labor day weekend during covid! Haha I planned that week off around a good buddy of mine, it was the only week he could go and he had to bail. Next year I'm going mid September for a full week. Also, I consider myself in great shape, mountain biking, backpacking, you name it. From what I have read unit 82 is under estimated/under explained by most people. Especially the southern end. Its rough, prepare to hike in to steep country walking over and around blowdown timber, you name it. I can't emphasize enough, train hard for this hunt, like you are preparing for an NFL combine. Also. Take your pack weight very seriously, read every article you can about ultralight backpacking and feel free to drop me a pm. I'm happy to share my packlist and what I changed after a week in unit 82. It also seems that this herd frequents burn areas, a lot, judging by the amount of sign I saw it looked like someone had a lawn mower in certain areas around the burns. Also, this probably doesn't help me but maybe it will help others, gain elevation until you are well above tree line and glass early/ late in the day. I tend to lose patience and like to move, blame it on add, I don't know but from what I gathered that tends to be a good tactic. Anyone that has questions about the unit just feel free to hit me up, I can't tell you where to go or what to do, but I can share my experience and what not to do. Haha

Last edited:
I'm more than willing to share what works for me and the things I use. The where is not an option. I learned it over years - one bloody step at a time. There are many places that I go back over 5-6 years until I learn the trails, travel patterns, and seasonal characteristics of the elk in an area. They change and have to be relearned - on the ground. In my view is if the area is crowded - move. If the elk are on private land - move. It has taken me years to develop an understanding of areas I hunt. I share that knowledge with my partners and they share what they see with me and we try new strategies that sometimes work and sometimes don't.

My archery days died about 2000 . I learn elk ground by following elk in the snow. Without it elk hunting is a walk in the woods. Complaining that no one will tell how to hunt a district or drainage is on par with asking for the secrets of their life and being surprised when they refuse.

Being a NR is tough. Starting hunting is tough. Hell dating is tough (glad that is over). Pick an area / areas and learn them. If there are lots of people find a differant area. If you are serious about elk hunting- move there and take your lumps with the rest of us.

TN here as well OPzilla, lol. Im new to hunting, but really just want to bag hogs. Maybe turkey or deer one day. Honestly, just meeting up and picking someones brain about hogs would be a world of help! Living close to Nashville sucks. Way too many hipsters around here :/

Certainly. For me I enjoy being out in the bush n learning all I can about it. And forums are a good place to learn about how others do it. On many discussions if I can't add anything I don't respond. But there does seem to be the folks who try to ask the stump you questions or chastise. I try to add positive thoughts for the new folks. And on some, there's probably folks who think I'm a nut. Oh well at least I'm doing it my way.
Our differences is our strength

Last edited:
I see your point and think it is a good one. I think the point that frustrates most people is when a person signs on for the first time, posts on the public forum, asks for info on a certain area “but not a honey hole” and then never responds or posts again. I think that is where a lot of the frustrations come from. I would like to think most people would help someone out with pointers and info on an area if they were familiar with the person or at the very least did some research in previous posts and pm’d people or just went about the public post in a different way.
I think many "greenhorns" or "newbies" on here get turned off with the childish snarky responses when asking for hunting location information. That's why they never come back.

I think many "greenhorns" or "newbies" on here get turned off with the childish snarky responses when asking for hunting location information. That's why they never come back.
You have to be on the thick skinned side in here and try to avoid taking some comments personally. Like every forum, including the ones that I administrated before, there are lurkers who almost never contribute constructively but chime in and troll a post basically when someone posts something that excites their nerves a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back