Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

European Mount- Attaching shed/cut antlers to real skull

jt13

Has anyone taken shed antlers or antlers cut off from below the pedicle and attached them to the skull of another, similarly sized, real buck skull?

I have got 2 different sets of mule deer antlers from my deer my grandfather killed where he just sawed them off below the pedicle so that they would fit in his luggage better. Currently I have them attached to some of the plastic reproduction skulls and they do the job but I am starting to hate looking at them as on the wall next to the real european mounts they look very obviously artificial. I am sure that I can come up with a couple of good size whitetail skulls from friends, relatives, roadkills, etc. and was thinking if I could saw off their existing antlers and epoxy, glue, JB weld, etc. the mule deer antlers on for a more realistic looking euro mount.

Any ideas or input or should I just leave them as is on the cheesy plastic skulls?

I've had to do caribou that way because they cut them for transport. I just drill out the pedicle and run a rod through them into the skull. Use Bondo to glue it together. Apoxie over the cut and paint white. The hardest part is balancing them correctly but it's not super hard.

Interesting. I'll have to see what i can come up with for skulls and report back

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back