Euro Mount while out of state

Dooger

I’m thinking I may just Euro Mount the next couple deer I get. Problem is, I hunt across state lines and can’t transport any brain or spinal cord matter.

Any thoughts on getting the brain matter out of a skull while away from home...good enough to transport it without issues. I’m really not wanting to have to bring the equipment to boil the skull.

Last edited:
Just found the RaptorRazor Scrambler online too. Anybody use one?

I just watched a guy with a cordless drill and a short piece of heavy wire bent into a hook make short work of a brain. I don’t know if this, combined with some high pressure water, would get it clean enough for transport.

I cobbled together some fittings for a sink, using the small flexible hose and the shut off valve. Attached it to an end that fits a water hose. Stick the small hose into the brain cavity and turn on the water. It takes just a few seconds and the brains are completely washed out.

That’s a handy looking little tool. I do 20+ skull mounts a year and that might expedite the process a tad. Keep that with you and go to the far bay of a car wash where no one is looking at you like you’re some kind of freak or serial killer and dump $5 in quarters and go to town!

If you’re worried ask your local GW if that’s an acceptable level of clean. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be but it won’t hurt to ask.

Keep that with you and go to the far bay of a car wash where no one is looking at you like you’re some kind of freak or serial killer and dump $5 in quarters and go to town!

Tried that once on a Friday night in Lander WY. Full on rain gear, goggles, blasting a couple antelope skulls right off main street. I got a few looks to say the least...

I use a cordless drill and one section of a shotgun cleaning rod with a 12 gauge cleaning brush is reverse! It really helps if you slow boil the skull first. Be sure to wrap the antlers with foil.

Do it 4-7 times a year lol, you really get weird looks doing bear skulls in Aurora... they look pretty human from the next stall over.

I'm surprised to hear nobody called the cops on you doing something like that in the Denver metro area

I’m thinking I may just Euro Mount the next couple deer I get. Problem is, I hunt across state lines and can’t transport any brain or spinal cord matter.

Any thoughts on getting the brain matter out of a skull while away from home...good enough to transport it without issues. I’m really not wanting to have to bring the equipment to boil the skull.

I posted this thread a while back. The problem with either manual cleaning via a drill or power washing is going to be the "any" part of the reg, and how the particular LEO you encounter interprets that language. Also, some state and or airlines only allow "finished taxidermy". Given that stricter standard, something like this would get it done.

I have had good luck with a cordless drill and bent up coat hanger, then lots of water to spray out. The thing is just washing out may not meet requirements of CWD prevention. I'm not sure just scrambling the brain and washing with water is adequate. May need to be dried out or perhaps some type of disinfectant, maybe peroxide.
Best practice but not always an option is to boil skull at camp before transport.

Do you have electric power where you hunt? There’s a bucket with an electric element that will boil it.

I would consider just finding a local guy to do it for you and then ship the finished product to you. That is what I did this week in WY. Shipping charges aren’t too bad for deer. It would be a different story with a large elk.

I would consider just finding a local guy to do it for you and then ship the finished product to you. That is what I did this week in WY. Shipping charges aren’t too bad for deer. It would be a different story with a large elk.

In my experience it’s shipping is ~$100 and euro is ~$200.

Just to ball park it.

Here's what I literally did yesterday and I have done for all of my deer, moose, bear, etc (also saves $$$):

21 Sept
0800 to 1000hr - Recovered the archery mule deer that I shot the previous evening;
1000 to 1300hr - Went pumpkin picking with my kids (something about women and leaves falling off of trees turn them into fall monsters);
1300 to 1320hr - Arrived home and got the blessing from the wife to go ahead and skin my mule deer's head; and
1320 to 1600hr - Boiled (propane turkey fryer or hot plate both work), pressured washed (any car wash) and picked clean skull (that's where it should end for you) and finally applied hydrogen peroxide to skull.
22 Sept
0800 to 0805hr - Rinsed hydrogen peroxide off of skull; and
0805 to right now - Air drying skull.

Doing it yourself is not much work and quite rewarding. Boiling the head takes more time and you have to keep an eye on it the whole time its in the pot. If you are still hunting, there is a thread on here about using a sous-vide machine and a cooler to do it over night/while you are away. I'll be buying a sous-vide machine for that exact purpose in preparation to my Wyoming trip in two weeks.

pluck out eyes, clean up all the neck and cut tight to the back of the skull. pop off th back of th skull plate and scoop out brains. Hit with a pressure washer in town before you cross state lines.

Back