Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Euro mount display ideas?

nwihunter

I’m looking for some ideas on how to display my euro deer skulls that are starting to pile up in my basement. I’ve seen where guys have had some sort of post or log standing vertically with the skulls attached to that. Would any of you have pics of anything like this that you have done that you are willing to share?

What kind of deer. That does make a difference if you are talking about a hall tree to hang coats and stuff on. Mule deer skulls mounted against a post would have antlers sticking straight out. The skulls would need to be mounted at a fairly severe angle or someone's eye might get poked out (see attached image - muleys are the two on far left). I also prefer to mount whitetail racks at a slight angle. For a hall tree with four racks on four flat sides of a 4x4 or 6x6 post, I think caps only would work better than euro skulls. Also the nose sections of euro skull are fairly delicate. Might not hold up to that kind of use.20200406_074500.jpg

Not the best pic but it’s all I have on my phone right now. I took a small cedar, chopped it down, stripped bark off, screwed some old barn wood to the bottom and mounted two skulls to it using some brackets from Amazon.
I probably should have put some sealant in it.

267E6DF9-3B30-4C61-A30F-B3C54E7F6BBC.jpeg

So In 2013 I had Deer and Antelope tags in Wyoming. I traded the capes for euro mounts and the taxidermist sent them like this.

View attachment 162812

I decided the skulls needed to be at an angle and added these brackets:

View attachment 162811

View attachment 162813
Interesting brackets. I made mine for muleys, springbok, impala, and blesbuck from window sash handles (small cast metal style from Home Depot) cut in half with wedges behind them to adjust the angles. The hangers are completely hidden behind the skulls (hangers painted white since this photo was taken). For heavier kudu, gemsbuck, and wildebeest skulls I bought white strap metal coat hooks (also HD) and reshaped them. Bottom hook is flattened against the wall and top hook is bent to desired angle and slips inside spinal cavity. Heavier buff skull reqired making a substantial hanger for support and proper angle.20201010_111915.jpg
20201009_100722.jpg
20200327_133550.jpg
20201008_114835.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what I've done!

Mine go right on the wall with this. I use a bigger hook as necessary.
20201119_110205.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back