Caribou Gear

Ethics question about OnX sharing

Can you use the radio to call another hunter to advise you have shot an animal and need assistance extracting it?
Cheers
Richard
Yes. Electronic transmission is forbidden to assist another hunter to hunt or kill an animal. All other legitimate communication is allowed. As was mentioned above, the same applies to real time waypoint sharing. If you are sending an OnX pin of a bull you spot on the next ridge to your partner who is hunting said ridge you would be breaking the law. Texting the same waypoint at the end of the day to your partner who will be hunting the area the next day would be legal.

I don't think its right to do, whether its legal or not.

As much as I embrace technology, in particular due to safety reasons, I also loathe technology when used in a way to cheapen or make the hunt easier.

IMO, I think many are looking for the shortcut versus putting in the effort, time and commitment. No "one thing" is causing this, its the combination of all of the best technology. Lighter gear, better shooting rifles, better optics, better shooting bows, trail cams, GPS, google earth, mapping technology, information at your fingertips, GF agencies hunt planners, web sites, and on and on and on.

All these things are going to impact us as hunters, and not for the better. Its all going to mean shorter seasons, less tags, and less days in the field. No way around our technology causing steep inclines in success rates and lowering of opportunity. Just the way it has to be.

I view this particular issue of texting waypoints of animals as just another way to make things easier. It seems to me an awful lot hunters these days are wayyyyy more interested in the end result of a dead animal, than they are of all the stuff that gets a hunter to that conclusion. I'm the other way, the means, the how, and the struggle's/challenges is what its about to me. The dead animal at the end of a hunt doesn't change you, its the journey there that does.

I like the idea of sharing waypoints and that. If I get a deer or elk down when I hunt in 2020, my partners for the hunt will have horses. Together we can get what each other knocks down in short order. Wyoming does not say anything about radios and that. I also plan to get a booster for my cell phone so we can communicate that way along with a new radio set I can set to any frequency.

Sharing On-X data also helps in an emergency so people can find you if you are hurt or something.

I don't think its right to do, whether its legal or not.

As much as I embrace technology, in particular due to safety reasons, I also loathe technology when used in a way to cheapen or make the hunt easier.

IMO, I think many are looking for the shortcut versus putting in the effort, time and commitment. No "one thing" is causing this, its the combination of all of the best technology. Lighter gear, better shooting rifles, better optics, better shooting bows, trail cams, GPS, google earth, mapping technology, information at your fingertips, GF agencies hunt planners, web sites, and on and on and on.

All these things are going to impact us as hunters, and not for the better. Its all going to mean shorter seasons, less tags, and less days in the field. No way around our technology causing steep inclines in success rates and lowering of opportunity. Just the way it has to be.

I view this particular issue of texting waypoints of animals as just another way to make things easier. It seems to me an awful lot hunters these days are wayyyyy more interested in the end result of a dead animal, than they are of all the stuff that gets a hunter to that conclusion. I'm the other way, the means, the how, and the struggle's/challenges is what its about to me. The dead animal at the end of a hunt doesn't change you, its the journey there that does.

Yup, efficacy vs opportunity. I'm with you, I'd give up some efficacy for more opportunity, at least for big game in the west. (There's excess opportunity in parts of the east for whitetails).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back