Episode Three - Colorado Elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight is Episode Three of Season Four. Wow, they are flying by fast.

IMG_1290.JPG

Here is a link to the live hunt giving the day-by-day blows.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=248638

Of all the hunts we have filmed, this is the one where the production issues impacted the hunting more than any. And on this hunt, I had one of the best in the business running the cameras. If anyone was going to get a kill on film, it was Dirk.

If not for light conditions, I had opportunity at two nice legal bulls, one right before the end of legal shooting light and one in the morning right after filming light. In both instances, we were before/beyond what is workable with cameras zoomed in to an object 200 yards away, standing in some brush. Oh well. That is what we ask for when we do this.

I think you will see just how many elk there are in Colorado. Lots. So long as you are willing to hike into steep country, or the ugly messes known as oak mesas. Both places are where elk go when the hunting pressure gets cranked up.

Looking forward to a return trip this November. I love these OTC hunts in CO. They are as much fun as any we film, even though I don't expect to shoot a whopper bull.

If you want to know more about hunting elk in Colorado, here is a thread that will give you all the starting points.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?p=2240403#post2240403

Just watched the episode. I think I saw Cushman in there.

I like the sled, works well for deer also.

I'll volunteer to film for you Randy and you won't even have to pull me in the sled. :D
Looks like that wasn't the case on this trip though. :rolleyes:

Seriously enjoyed the show, been there a few times myself for exactly the same reasons

workable with cameras zoomed in to an object 200 yards away, standing in some brush.

I've been messing around with tons of lens on the DSLR, and there is no solution. Other than stalking within 20 yards with a 50mm f1.4.

Again, one of the main reasons treestand hunting dominates outdoor television.

Randy;

You did a great job of educating folks with this episode.

I hope it will help give some folks courage to try Colorado elk hunting.

Thanks for all you do to keep our sport alive.

Scott

Randy
Just watched episode 3 in CO looks like alot of pilgrims in the same area I guess thats public land hunting loved the show and also the first 2 episodes. I hope your still positive about hunting elk in CO after your BLM experience lately that is not right. I hope your ankle works better than mine and is OK. Can't wait til the next episode :hump:

Randy just wanted to say thanks! While watching the show tonight my wife walked in the room and stops to watch a few seconds and says, Randy should have payed better attention to his backdrop when filming the segments where hes just talking, he looks like a floating head and two hands his Sitka blends in with the background! I hit rewind and watch it again and shes right. I can hear it now ,but darling you have seen how well it works and besides whats the harm in a couple more pieces?

Shoot...DISH has your original air dates messed up and I missed this episode on the DVR! I was really looking forward to this episode.

I went ahead and set it to record them all and I'll just delete the repeats.

Great episode, wish DirecTV would get their listings straight so it would record. Missed episode 2 because of it.

another good episode,,,good tactics of letting the other hunters push em back to you almost worked.looks like it can get pretty crowded,what of the otc seasons was that? maybe 3rd im guessing?

Great job on the show. I have been hunting the Grand Mesa for years. We often find ourselves in the same situation as in this episode. You would be surprised how handy those ATV come in to push elk towards me. Get away from the ATVs and you'll find the elk!

O.K. I loved the episode. Little bit uneasy about the picture... I really don't want to see a couple extra hundred/thousand hunters above my house (where I hunt). Why Newberg? WWHHYYYY??? :rolleyes:

O.K. I loved the episode. Little bit uneasy about the picture... I really don't want to see a couple extra hundred/thousand hunters above my house (where I hunt). Why Newberg? WWHHYYYY??? :rolleyes:

I doubt a couple extra hundred/thousand hunters know where we were. If the few guys who might recognize some spots in our pics and footage post information, it might give these traveling hunters some clues.

As far as where that pic was taken from, anyone who wants to hunt there will need to bring their own rock to stand on. Tons of people. If you wanted to sell repair parts for ATVs, maybe open a coffee kiosk, or some other business that profits from large amounts of early morning traffic, then that would be the place to open such.

Had no idea that was right above your house. If so, and is within hearing distance, you don't get much sleep in the morning, during hunting season. It was noisy, dusty, and full of activity.

I suspect very few people were hunting where we found the concentrations of elk the last two years. In all of my days in those two key spots, we saw hunters only one day, on each hunt. Now, if you hike back down to the trailheads, you will find tons of hunters, but that is the case in any western state near roads and trails.

Sorry for any problems we create in this, or any other episode. Just trying to show the beauty of the CO landscapes and quality of OTC elk hunting for those willing to hoof it into the ugly stuff. We have to show some footage of animals and landscapes.

Well maybe not. I guess we could climb a tree stand and show the same footage of the same foodplot for 30 minutes. Seems to work in other shows.

Sorry Addict, if some will see that as their new hotspot. We did not hunt there, given how much pressure I found while scoping it out.

Sounds like an excellent episode - when should we look for season 4 on the web, and even better when does the video come out?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back