PEAX Equipment

Episode #6 - Public Land Elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I really like this episode. For many reasons.

First of all, it shows what hunting public land out west is like, when the weather is really warm, and the elk have been moved to private land, after a few shots on the first day.

Second, it is about friends spending time together. In this hunt, Lawnboy finally called me out on our talk about someday hunting together, and made me pick a date. We couldn't have picked tougher dates, but in many respects, that is how it is for guys who take their week of vacation for elk hunting. Once they take the time off, they have to hunt, regardless of the weather.

I wanted to show me missing the cow elk, which was just before the part you see where Lawnboy chases after the heard that spooked from my shot. The editors thought it was too complicated to add that in to the story line, and show me heading off to look for blood from that shot, all while trying to keep things in the allowed 22 minute time frame allowed by the network.

I hope you like it. Air times are Friday the 7th (today) 11:30 am and 10:00 pm, and Sunday the 9th at 3:00 pm, with all times being Mountain time. Outdoor Channel is the home for On Your Own Adventures.

Let me know what you think. The comments you guys have provided on the episodes so far, are changing a lot of what we are doing in this upcoming season. Hopefully, we can incorporate many of those comments and make it even better.

As always, if you like what you see, I hope you will email Outdoor Channel and tell them so. Here is that email - [email protected].

Ratings are about to be released for the first month, and I have no idea where we ended up, other than having been told that I should be very happy with the results. Hmmmm. Wonder what that means? :confused:

If you want to read the play by play of this hunt, here it is in the Hunt Talk threads - Montana Elk.

Happy Hunting!

I just wanted to let you know that I realy enjoy the show and liked the elk hunt with Bart May. (Just got done watching it this eveing.) Your show has quickly become my favorite and I am telling everyone I know who watches hunting shows to tune in.

What most impressed me tonight is Bart passing up a skyline shot. That is one of my pet peeves and I have written to shows that do shoot skyline. I have even seen some where the hunter or guide said to wait until the animal is skylined to get a better shot. Do they teach that in hunters safety anymore?

yep those kinda shots will test a guy. good job

1236085434-1.jpg

Good show and nice job on the bull lawnboy. I like the fact that in the heat of it all you kept the composure and commented on the skyline shot and not knowing what is on the other side. Great message for our younger hunters and viewers."Always know where your bullet will go"

Yes Rosco I know what you mean. I had to pass on the two biggest Mule Deer I have ever had a chance on because of skyline. One was at 60 yards and the other was 300. I don't regret it a bit.

I just finished taking my son to hunters safety classes and they drilled that into their heads. That's one of the "rules" to always know what's beyond your target. I will give credit to Fin for helping me make that decision. I have shot animals before skylined and hadn't thought much about it. Going to my son's class and having this opportunity on this hunt to make that decision has really helped me. My son watched the show and made the same comment as you guys. Thanks for all the kind words.

Hey Big Fin, that Bart May guy is a regular movie star. No offense intended, but I recommend featuring more Bart May. ;)

I watched it a second time. So many great scenes! One of my favorites is when Fin acknowledges how the OYO type folks are the meat and potatoes of the conservation movement. How true!!

I watched the show Friday night and thought it was great. I have watched all shows so for and really enjoyed them. I live about 20 miles west of Two Dot, the location of last weeks show and was going to comment on it, but just got OK'ed to post Friday. Keep up the good work because I think the average hunter can appreicate OYOA more than the shows about the hunts that only the Fat Cats can afford.
Tim

Last edited:
Fin you you two got back up over the peak did you see any other hunters. Or were you far enough back, up and over that you left the other public hunters behind.

I am curious; never hunted Elk and I see guys walk out with the head and horns, I guess you take the back straps. What else of the meat do you recover?
Is the area you hunted so far back to get all the meat out would not be a reality?

I can't answer for Randy, but everyone I know bones out their elk and packs out all the meat they can, even if it takes several trips. Some will leave the rib meat, etc.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back