Caribou Gear

Episode #3 - New Mexico youth elk hunt

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Starting tomorrow is the rifle elk hunt from New Mexico with my nephew, Cody. This is one of those special youth hunts where New Mexico is making a big difference in getting kids in the field. And not just for cows and does. These are high quality hunts.

Even though I lost Loren's tripod, as hard as it is to lose a tripod, he did an amazing job with a makeshift spotting scope tripod. I think it turned out very well, but I am probably biased.

One of the dangers of having younger hunters on these hunts, especially TV hunts, is whether or not they are up to the work it will take, the risk it might take the fun out of it for them, and the unknown of how they will respond in front of the camera.

Cody did great on all counts. I hope that some day you all get a chance to take a young hunter on an elk hunt such as this.

If you want to read the day-by-day account, here is a link of the posts I made from the field. Hope you enjoy the episode.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=244130

Great episode once again, spending time with family getting youth in the outdoors. Can't wait for next week.

Great show randy.
Cody shows more class and self control than most of the characters we see on other hunting shows.
Did he end up hitting the bull with his first shot?

Great show randy.
Cody shows more class and self control than most of the characters we see on other hunting shows.
Did he end up hitting the bull with his first shot?

Thanks. Yeah, he did hit it the first shot. You can see the bull flinch at the shot. Too far back to drop him, but enough to slow him down to the point that we could catch up and finish him off.

another great episode fin,,,would have been a hard decision to shoot that nice 1 horned 6 point or wait it out.was that in unit 15?

Just finished watching from the DVR. Had to pause and slo-mo the 1st shot, but thought I saw shot mid section lower half. The kill shot was a great shot and Cody should be proud. Hopefully we'll see the mount.

Great episode and props for guiding Cody to a great trophy and memory.

Randy:

This was a great episode. The best of any youth hunting TV I have seen.

The part about 6' 4" 17 year old vs. 5' and 12 is so true when it comes to hunting that much ground with a bunch of undulations.

I sure like it when you give history on your counter parts like the two-a-day football practices, coming from Minnesota, how you are connected to them etc. Makes for a good storyline.

You nailed it in telling how NM puts their money where their mouth is. I love those youth hunts and intend on butting my 16 year old in for that one next year.

Congratulations to Cody, he did a great job

Randy, actually saw the episode earlier this week and I have to say what an experience not only for Cody but your demeanor during the whole adventure was great and was inspiring for me. The way you worked with him and let him to choose his bull on his terms was a great lesson for us all. If it was me and my son and after the first 5 bulls not sure I would have been so calm and understanding, lol – now I know why the call patience a virtue! I actually recorded three other elk hunts that were on around that time and Randy you not only have the right personality but the OYOA format is hands down the best in its genre, you really have a winner, congratulations. Another great episode!

Hey guys, this is Cody Nicholson. Thanks for all of the positive feedback, and such kind words. It means a lot to me. It was an amazing hunt and i cannot thank Randy enough. I hope we get to share elk camp again sometime in the near future. Thanks again for complimenting my values, "skill" as in shooting, the hunt, and the episode. It means a lot guys. Thanks again.
-Cody

I got to watch it last night. It was great, but I was also wondering what happened with the first shot. I thought that I saw the elk flinch, but wasn't sure.

Great episode,Randy.I was very impressed by you and Cody. It looks like the two of you really got along well.Hope to see you next weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back