Caribou Gear

Episode 119 - Ted Roosevelt IV

I was already surprised by all the talk about climate change theories. But, then about 41 minutes in T.R. IV brings up a comparison to the Taliban. Am I the only one who was shocked by that?

I really enjoyed the episode, but I dont recall that part of the conversation, i was cutting up my deer though so may have missed that part.

I think it’s absolutely hilarious that’s he’s for “common sense gun laws” and then was surprised when he had to register a bolt gun because it has a thumb hole stock or that his grandkid can’t even carry a long gun...WTF did he think was going to happen with “common sense gun laws” 🤡

There are such a thing as common sense gun laws. Like accountability for failing to secure firearms. Or actually enforcing penalties for straw purchases for felons who buy weapons through legal purchases. And actually punishing people who commit crimes with firearms by mandatory prison sentences and death penalties for murderers..... But I am guessing those arent the laws people are ready to support.

There are such a thing as common sense gun laws. Like accountability for failing to secure firearms. Or actually enforcing penalties for straw purchases for felons who buy weapons through legal purchases. And actually punishing people who commit crimes with firearms by mandatory prison sentences and death penalties for murderers..... But I am guessing those arent the laws people are ready to support.
Well being from a state that is ran by idiots “common sense” quickly morphs into something totally different than what you’re picturing. In the example he discussed in the podcast where a thumb hole stock on a bolt gun being considered a “feature” is completely asinine, yet it’s part of what is considered “common sense”. Like he said in the podcast sometimes we get the government we deserve

Well being from a state that is ran by idiots “common sense” quickly morphs into something totally different than what you’re picturing. In the example he discussed in the podcast where a thumb hole stock on a bolt gun being considered a “feature” is completely asinine, yet it’s part of what is considered “common sense”. Like he said in the podcast sometimes we get the government we deserve
Wasn't he venting to the fact how it was not indeed part of common sense laws he supports; he pretty much said its an uphill battle to pass his version of "common sense" laws in NY. He had another example on how kids cant touch a gun for hunting purposes until the age of 12 and how frustrating it can be

Pretty arrogant. Dudes flies from NY to Wyoming to fish? Tgen lectures about climate change.

Flies into Alaska jumps 2 planes then yaps about Prudoe Bay?

How many tons of carbon is he responsible for yearly while lecturing us little people about it?

I grow tired of the folks "a little better, or smarter" whose actions don't match their voices.

Wasn't he venting to the fact how it was not indeed part of common sense laws he supports; he pretty much said its an uphill battle to pass his version of "common sense" laws in NY. He had another example on how kids cant touch a gun for hunting purposes until the age of 12 and how frustrating it can be

My point exactly, what’s common sense for you could be anarchy for others. Both of his gripes with NY gun laws have their roots in “common sense” laws which clearly are anything but

At 1:20:18 in the podcast Ted says "One of the things that you know we can talk a little bit about gun regulations and all that stuff AS A NEW YORKER OBVIOUSLY I BELIEVE IN IT CAUSE YOU KNOW WE GOT WELL WE'RE DOING A PRETTY GOOD JOB , but let's do it the right way." (emphasis added).

If Ted thinks New York is doing a good job with gun laws and that is what he wants to model elsewhere, then he loses all credibility with me. And no, he was not being sarcastic when he said it. This was just one of a number of things he said that I could not agree with. The most disappointing thing is that Randy didn't push back on any of the nonsense.

I finally got caught up on podcasts the other day. I had a few take aways from this one.
1. I can't stand a New York accent. Honestly, most east coast accents irritate me.
2. He should stick with how topics relate to markets, he does seem to know that realm very well. But outside of that he sounded like most self-proclaimed experts.
3. He really likes to hear himself talk, another trait of self-proclaimed experts.
4. Despite all that, I think this was my favorite episode.

I like hearing from actual experts (which he was on markets and big picture insurance and risk) and who have strong opinions they're willing to back up and who don't qualify every statement they make in an attempt to not piss people off. It doesn't mean I agree with everything he said, but too often people spend more time qualifying statements and beating around the bush that actually saying something of substance.

Arrogant and lots of finger-pointing. I probably won’t listen if he’s a guest again. I didn’t really learn much. I felt like he was selling something the whole time.

Huh, I thought it was a great episode. I was super excited to have a thumbs up from Randy when I suggested he talk Ted into running for president some day. I guess we all hear different things, what make America great right!

Back