Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Energy Industry

HighDesertSage

I am considering a career change over to the oil/gas industries. I have a strong background in Construction. Anyone have any advice on where to start, opinions, experiences? I appreciate all help. I am hoping to try and pick up an entry level position in CO or WY. I really have no idea on where to start. I was considering taking a few days and heading out to Grand Junction to see if I could pass out some resumes.

job

I wood tell u get your mmc - merchant mariner credential and twic card. hear is y 50000 plus a year and work about 200 days a year layoff in the winter. but oil u are home most nights.

I am a geologist and have done consulting in the environmental, mining, and oil and gas industries. The TWIC card is a very good step. It is necessary for nearly all oil and gas related transportation and refinery sites. Getting the OSHA 40 Hour HAZWOPER certification is also helpful and will open doors to doing HazMat work and train you on all the personal protective equipment.

Are you looking for work in a refinery, on a rig, or in the fields? What's your construction specialty? Do you currently have a degree or trade certificate? This can help narrow down some possibilities.

-Patrick

Buy a trailer and head to the Dakotas is what I've heard. Not enough housing.

Housing is a major issue in western ND. Be sure you have housing before you come. Whether it be company housing or a camper(if you can find/afford a place to park it). There are plenty of jobs with good pay. Do not come for the hunting as ND has been in the tank the last few years. No antelope season the last few years and there are 48,000 deer tags available(buck and doe). With 14,000 of those going to landowners and 75,000 applicants.

There are lots of jobs in ND like others have mentioned. Housing is definitely an issue although prices have come down a little. Renting is still tough though I'm sure. One of my dad's friends has a son who got a job straight out of high school driving a semi for $43 an hour. With overtime he figures he'll make $100,000. Pretty insane for an 18 year old kid...

I'm sure Texas has tons of opportunity right now too.

I am a geologist and have done consulting in the environmental, mining, and oil and gas industries. The TWIC card is a very good step. It is necessary for nearly all oil and gas related transportation and refinery sites. Getting the OSHA 40 Hour HAZWOPER certification is also helpful and will open doors to doing HazMat work and train you on all the personal protective equipment.

Are you looking for work in a refinery, on a rig, or in the fields? What's your construction specialty? Do you currently have a degree or trade certificate? This can help narrow down some possibilities.

-Patrick
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not really sure which route I want to pursue. I know the Dakotas are where the work is, but I am looking to stay around CO or WY if possible. I have a very broad construction background from residential to hospitals to heavy commercial, and B.S. in construction management. I am really tired of the office positions, so a good paying field job really appeals to me.Plus having a week or more off at a time really appeals to my outdoor hobbies.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not really sure which route I want to pursue. I know the Dakotas are where the work is, but I am looking to stay around CO or WY if possible. I have a very broad construction background from residential to hospitals to heavy commercial, and B.S. in construction management. I am really tired of the office positions, so a good paying field job really appeals to me.Plus having a week or more off at a time really appeals to my outdoor hobbies.

The Dakotas are just a small option right now, and not a very good one due to the logistics issues. It is drawing in anyone and everyone because it is the most publicized boom by the media. The gas industry in Wyoming and Colorado are booming. The Marcellus Shale in the Appalachians is probably one of the biggest natural gas opportunities right now. I have a few colleagues working as Mudloggers on rigs in Wyoming. I would stay away from the Dakotas until the boom appeal is gone. You'll pay top dollar for a closet sized dump of an apartment.

Your degree and experience in construction management are desirable in the O&G field. There are so many specialty jobs to keep the operations running. The infrastructure of the well fields require a lot of work. I think the best blind resource for that industry is Rigzone.com. There is a free option and an option with a marginal membership fee. All of the O&G companies big and small post open positions on the site. You can find everything from entry level to top level positions advertised. They have filters that will likely allow you to narrow it down to the best opportunity for your degree and experience. It is a hard road to hoe but once your foot is in the door there are a lot of opportunities. If you are in CO take advantage of locals in the industry and check out any and every job fair etc that the O&G industry puts on.

Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

-Patrick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back