NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Elk viewing

montanadreamer

Is there any good places in western Montana to see elk like a wintering grounds or something . I would like to take my family to try and see some while we are visiting my new wife's family for Christmas.

Lots of good spots, what part of Western MT are you going through?

Yep, just need to know where you are. My yard was a good place Chrismas eve. Coulda petted one out my master bedroom window. mtmuley

The Burnt Fork Ranch out of Stevi holds a bunch. With good optics you can view them from the Willowby 40. Near Kootenai Creek is sometimes good. Heck, the riverbottom between Stevi and Darby holds a lot of elk this time of year. Try Bell and Victor Crossings. The CB Ranch is full of them, and there are herds West of Victor. For a longer drive, the Salmon River Canyon. mtmuley

Last edited:
I'd definitely head to the bison range. There were multiple 360" type bulls up there this year, and I'm sure a few of them will be within view of the part that's open right now. Also a couple giant whitetail in there if they haven't shed yet.

You'll see elk on Boyd, but they're way up off the highway this year with the low snowpack. They'll be 2-3 miles away through the spotter.

The only elk I've been seeing in the root so far this winter have been on the cb off rye creek. I'm sure there's some in French basin as well but I haven't been down there yet.

For big numbers of elk, drive to Drummond and glass everything south of the interstate around the Jens exit. There's usually 200-1000 in view of the highway on the Angelo Ranch.

Unbelievably low snowpack this year so a lot of the elk are still way up high. It looks like October out there right now.

Forgot about French Basin. Turn left about a mile and a half past the Post Office. You can drive all the way to Shining Mountain. Randy, lots of elk up here right now. Not just on CB. mtmuley

Mtmuley thanks where exactly is French basin
Randy you are the man and thanks for taxidermy advice Chris is doing a nice 5x5 I was lucky enough to kill back in November, he is unbelievable nice guy

Head South of Missoula on 93 through Darby and on almost to Sula. Just before the Sula store take a left. Head basically East for about 2 miles. French Basin is on the left. You can't miss it. The Vogt Ranch property on the left side of the road should have some elk. If not, get back on 93 and head South again, watching the hills on the left, especially near the FS Station. Hope you see some. mtmuley

I have to drive South from Corvallis to Swan Valley, Idaho over Lost Trail today. I'll try to give you a heads up on where some elk are. mtmuley

There were a lot of elk within view if the road on the bison range tonight, but none of the big boys.

image_zps9d240a03.jpg

image_zps3eb48869.jpg

image_zpsffda9f81.jpg

In Missoula look up above the L on the hill and the you will see the Mount Jumbo elk herd. It isn't up close and personable but you should see some elk.

We saw the elk at jumbo yesterday as well as tons of mule deer headed up to brother in law after church.He lives in Pablo so we probably gonna hit the bison range this evening.May have to run over to highway 135 to see if we can see some bighorns above the river too. We saw a bunch over in that area when I was up here in oct/nov elk hunting.Ive gotta run over to Chris Basham before I fly back to Tn to and get him some money for my elk mount .I really need to move up here you guys truly live in a outdoor paradise I love it here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back