Elk - unit 362 Montana

IEATELK

Hey guys... New to the forum! Thought i would first start with whats on my mind. Just wondering if anyone has input (good/bad/ugly) on MT elk unit 362. Areas/info anything to do with elk numbers over there, migration during late season, early season archery? Im well aware of the grizz numbers and such... Anything u guys want to throw at me would be great!

Ok here goes---it is really steep....I mean really steep....Maybe feels the steepest of all MT Mountains.... and there are elk---and a big place called the Sun Ranch....A ton of Elk lay on the Sun Ranch most all of the time..And the Carroll Ranch....Sometimes, some elk move around...

Spent my first day in these mountains when I was in my rookie season at 12 years old....They felt giant then and they still feel huge and intimidating now!
All of these mountains and ridges have elk, some older bulls, and access is good---Pick a trailhead and hike UP, UP, UP!---- I think I have spent at least a few days in almost every trailhead south of Ennis and I honestly don't think any is better than any other... ,,,,if you wait until its about -20 in late November you will have a great chance at running into elk....Just stay Warm! It gets really cold and windy....You can stay warm though, because its Really Steep! Go get em!

Thanks for the info!.. Been poking around the idea of hunting around the lee metcalf/cabin creek area. Ive spent some time riding trailbikes back in there. It was an experience forsure!!! Very physical riding a dirtbike up a muddy switchback.(to the point where my front tire wouldnt spin anymore) but once on top we saw some awesome country and were able to cover alot of ground - i guess the trails are also open during part of the season, which gives me a queasy feeling knowing someone could come ripping by while setting up on some elk... . I have a few friends who have hunted around big horn pass area an have done pretty well.. I think my cousin and i will be heading that way to archery hunt and scout some more for rifle season. This will be a backcountry style hunt, i want to get away from he beaten path and crowd which im sure there will be.

OK but keep this a secret. Study a good map and hike 2+ crow miles away from ANY road into good habit and your target will be there.

Thats the plan!.. I dont expect anything from anyone on this forum. Im all about research and planning and i thought this might be a great place for it..

Access at Indian Creek at the north end and BM down at the south end to the N.F. Very little BM. The elk check into the Sun Ranch Hotel for extended stays. Everything down low is private , up high is N.F. CB RANCH takes a few hunters thru Block Management, but fills up right away.

Good thread! Ive also been doing alot of research on this area. Im thinking this will be the hd that im going to bring my dad into.. we are planning on going in with horses. It looks like theres some good trails that woukd take us in. If im accessing in by red canyon rd and heading up how is that?
Also has anyone seen deer up there? Just trying to decide if I want to go with the big game combo or elk combo?

Good thread! Ive also been doing alot of research on this area. Im thinking this will be the hd that im going to bring my dad into.. we are planning on going in with horses. It looks like theres some good trails that woukd take us in. If im accessing in by red canyon rd and heading up how is that?
Also has anyone seen deer up there? Just trying to decide if I want to go with the big game combo or elk combo?
Late to the party, how was the hunt and access?

What are you looking for Roughwater?

In a way I was joking as someone mentioned a previous poster should mention they were in the military. What I said was true about being in the military though. I was in the 2nd Amtrak Btln stationed at Courthouse Bay NC. Also, I am considering hunting Unit 362 and or 363. Any help or suggestions about hunting that area would be very welcome.

I'm also a lifetime RMEF member for what it's worth. I'm so impressed with what they have done for hunters and wildlife. I'm retired and recently trying to get back into bow hunting again. I drew a Montana General combo elk tag this year so definitely going.
But as to bowhunting I bought a good bow a few months ago and had to drop it back to 50 lbs to pull it as I hadn't used a REAL bow in a good while. This is my first time being 70 years old so I didn't know if my body could adjust to pulling over 50 lbs but apparently it can and has. But I shoot it almost every day and have worked up to 62# so far. It has a max 65# pull so that's my goal now. I've built some heaviesh (664 gn arrows) using Victory Xtorsion SS shafts along with the Ethics archery outsert system. I've been watching the Ranch Ferry, LOL, he's a hoot! So everything's coming along well. I'm a little shaky in my older age so 40 yards will probably be my max hunting range though I'll practice some farther back. I'd love to take a Elk this year with a bow but being retired I may stay around for Rifle if I don't succeed with a bow. My only health concern is my left knee which is a little shaky but hoping it will last through another year training and hunting.

Got ya... Well first off thank you for your service. We all greatly appreciate the sacrifice. Glad you are getting back after it! I have dabbled around in 362 a little during rifle. I took my first elk in there actually, pretty cool experience. Nothing like getting back to the truck with your horses and a mule deer and an elk packed at 2am. I am too a member of RMEF, I usually go with the sponsor level each year. Sounds like you have a pretty nice set up for elk this year. What broadheads are you going with?
As far as 362 I would enjoy trying to help you out. Please send me a PM and we can talk a little about it. I plan on heading out for archery and rifle this year. Not exactly sure where for archery yet. I have a few ideas.

Planning out my first NR Montana hunt for this October (2023). Thanks for the post to help me out a bit.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back