MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

elk unit 13 wyoming

Hunted it the year of the Mullen fire 21, I think. The burn area had a bunch of deer. Bunches of cows that would book it across the burned area back over to the green areas. It was pretty Mosaic like any other burn. Ended up getting my elk about a mile from the burn in 13 that year.

Good luck. I bet it’s got more underbrush like the Mullen fire does but not much for growth yet. Just speculation though.

anyone hunt this unit 2022, was wondering what burned area looked like
Encampment River provides hunters with an excellent place to chase general season elk. There are great elk numbers here, the habitat is ideal, and trophy potential is here due to the thickly timbered areas within the unit. The biggest issue with this unit is that some of the high country is wilderness. A non-resident can not hunt wilderness areas in Wyoming without a guide or resident companion.
Timbered slopes with a lot of upland areas are dominated by sagebrush, grass and mountain shrubs. Timber stands consist of limber pine, lodgepole pine, ponderosa pine, subalpine fir and scattered pockets of aspen. The burnt areas were very crispy in 2022 but unfortunately another fire is needed to incinerate the downed timber. Elite hunters were still seeing a lot of deer and elk in the burnt areas as the animals fed on the fresh growth after the fires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back