Elk Tag Refund

riv3rbanks

After going on my first elk hunt and getting into some elk last year and having a great time in general, I was very excited to go back to the same unit this season and accomplish what I didn't get to last season: fill my first elk tag.

I applied and drew the tag I wanted with no issues. Then things started going downhill from there. My hunting partner had to change occupations and could no longer get the dates off. I had some other buddies who showed interest but ultimately couldn't make it. Ok...I can do this alone. I'm fully capable of driving 16 hours alone and surviving in the wild for a week. Not thrilled about being alone for that long, but I could make due.

The next domino to fall was my National Guard annual requirement. Our schedule was recently released. Sure enough, I have training smack dab in the middle of the season. Can I get out of it? Maybe. Being a 1SG and getting a new hard-charging Battalion SGM who wants to change the entire unit's way of doing things pretty much makes getting out of it impossible. I have 18 years in and really don't want to screw up the long career now that I can see the finish line.

Then of course there's work, family, and all the other stuff that generally makes leaving for a week difficult. Not to mention shooting the rifle, and getting gear dialed in. I think there were enough signs that said I should just put in for my refund since there is still time.

I am thankful that the above stressors are what they are. I could imagine several scenarios that would be way worse. Guess what I am getting at is I am disappointed I can't make it this year and will have to daydream about time in the mountains chasing elk until next season.

Members of the Army and Air National Guard are not subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice unless they have been called to federal active duty service. It means that members of the National Guard cannot be punished for missing weekend drills or failing to show up for the two weeks of annual training.

Not to be a bad influence, but if everything else was on track for a good elk season, wouldn't you try a little bit harder to make it happen? Just out of curiosity what elk tag we talking about?

Members of the Army and Air National Guard are not subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice unless they have been called to federal active duty service. It means that members of the National Guard cannot be punished for missing weekend drills or failing to show up for the two weeks of annual training.

Not to be a bad influence, but if everything else was on track for a good elk season, wouldn't you try a little bit harder to make it happen? Just out of curiosity what elk tag we talking about?
Lol, you couldn’t be more wrong! Title 32 is different than title 10 and he will absolutely loose his career if he misses movement for AT without being excused. I’ve processed those packets and done the kicking out.

As for missing a UTA on drill weekend as a 1SG he knows more about that than he cares too. I’ve done hundreds of drill pays and dealt with the AWOL packets. Miss 9 and then we move to the next step.

Don’t post crap you don’t know about.

True, he may not be subject to the title 10 UCMJ, but each state has a code of military justice that he would be subject to... they usually closely resemble the UCMJ.

River- if you scheduled the time off, you should be good, but also I get where you're coming from.

My Oct UTA got scheduled after the application deadline and I drew. Thankfully my supervisor understood and said my leave would be approved. She is also an O6, so I should be good to go!

I almost had to cancel my first hunt for about the same reasons, thankfully it worked out for me this year.

After going on my first elk hunt and getting into some elk last year and having a great time in general, I was very excited to go back to the same unit this season and accomplish what I didn't get to last season: fill my first elk tag.

I applied and drew the tag I wanted with no issues. Then things started going downhill from there. My hunting partner had to change occupations and could no longer get the dates off. I had some other buddies who showed interest but ultimately couldn't make it. Ok...I can do this alone. I'm fully capable of driving 16 hours alone and surviving in the wild for a week. Not thrilled about being alone for that long, but I could make due.

The next domino to fall was my National Guard annual requirement. Our schedule was recently released. Sure enough, I have training smack dab in the middle of the season. Can I get out of it? Maybe. Being a 1SG and getting a new hard-charging Battalion SGM who wants to change the entire unit's way of doing things pretty much makes getting out of it impossible. I have 18 years in and really don't want to screw up the long career now that I can see the finish line.

Then of course there's work, family, and all the other stuff that generally makes leaving for a week difficult. Not to mention shooting the rifle, and getting gear dialed in. I think there were enough signs that said I should just put in for my refund since there is still time.

I am thankful that the above stressors are what they are. I could imagine several scenarios that would be way worse. Guess what I am getting at is I am disappointed I can't make it this year and will have to daydream about time in the mountains chasing elk until next season.
Hate that for you. I had to withdraw my WY app and cancel our annual archery trip to CO due to changing jobs in March. I was all down in the dumps then started checking dates and scheduled a 6 night trip to CO for second rifle. Just pulled a buck tag off the leftover list last week. Maybe you can figure something else out. Good luck. Thanks for your service.

True, he may not be subject to the title 10 UCMJ, but each state has a code of military justice that he would be subject to... they usually closely resemble the UCMJ.

River- if you scheduled the time off, you should be good, but also I get where you're coming from.

My Oct UTA got scheduled after the application deadline and I drew. Thankfully my supervisor understood and said my leave would be approved. She is also an O6, so I should be good to go!

I almost had to cancel my first hunt for about the same reasons, thankfully it worked out for me this year.
so many changes happening this year. Multiple deployments on the horizon, new BN CMD and SGM. New company commander. I’m really the only stability piece for my troops right now. I’m sure someone could cover down and it would be fine, but I’d be concerned my whole trip. I think I’ll finish out what’s left of my career and then start hitting it hard every year.

Thanks for your input.

Lol, you couldn’t be more wrong! Title 32 is different than title 10 and he will absolutely loose his career if he misses movement for AT without being excused. I’ve processed those packets and done the kicking out.

As for missing a UTA on drill weekend as a 1SG he knows more about that than he cares too. I’ve done hundreds of drill pays and dealt with the AWOL packets. Miss 9 and then we move to the next step.

Don’t post crap you don’t know about.
Haha you ain’t lying. So many things they could do to punish individuals for missing training. Thankfully, I have never had to take any action to process somebody out.

Next time I recommend not just googling and pasting the first results you get on a question. I wish everything was black and white when it comes to rules but there is definitely gray areas throughout. Not to mention all the different policies that govern almost every scenario.

Thankfully, it was a 100% draw odd legal bull rifle tag in Colorado. Not something I’ve been accruing points towards or something like that.

Hate that for you. I had to withdraw my WY app and cancel our annual archery trip to CO due to changing jobs in March. I was all down in the dumps then started checking dates and scheduled a 6 night trip to CO for second rifle. Just pulled a buck tag off the leftover list last week. Maybe you can figure something else out. Good luck. Thanks for your service.
I’m going to be just fine. Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I can make a later trip work out.

Things might be different as a 1SG, but could you not just schedule a make-up drill? Maybe catch the front end of the drill weekend or tail end to accommodate your hunt? Do you have an alternate 1SG that could cover for you? Flexibility is one of the biggest reasons I stay with my current unit as a DSG, even if it is a huge pain to travel on my own dime. I do understand if you couldn't miss AT days compared to regular drill in conjunction with exercises, but there should be some good faith flexibility in there somewhere.

Is that tag worth exhausting all options and getting the new CC all ruffled up, maybe not but it's up to you.

Retirement is close, soon you won't have to worry about it! I've got 5 more years if I can keep my mouth shut and stay out of the 1SG office!

Tough luck, Top.

Is this a weekend excursion or is it your annual training? If it is the short one, there still might be sufficient time to have a nice hunt.

Tough luck, Top.

Is this a weekend excursion or is it your annual training? If it is the short one, there still might be sufficient time to have a nice hunt.
In the past couple of years, we have started doing MUTA 8s. This is one of those. OCT 13-16. 1st rifle season in CO is OCT 15-19. Let's say I left at 1500 on the 16th from Texas and drove straight through to my hunt unit. I would get there on the afternoon/evening of OCT 17. Maybe hunt that evening, and then 2 more days. Might be enough time to get it done, but not likely. Maybe I can make a deal to attend half of the drill and find a good reason for them to let me make up the 2 missed days.

In the past couple of years, we have started doing MUTA 8s. This is one of those. OCT 13-16. 1st rifle season in CO is OCT 15-19. Let's say I left at 1500 on the 16th from Texas and drove straight through to my hunt unit. I would get there on the afternoon/evening of OCT 17. Maybe hunt that evening, and then 2 more days. Might be enough time to get it done, but not likely. Maybe I can make a deal to attend half of the drill and find a good reason for them to let me make up the 2 missed days.
NCOERs is a great way for a 1SG to make up a MUTA. CSMs love that initiative. Lol

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back