Elk Springs Ranch RFW Colorado

dallsheep

I'm considering taking my nephew on a late season RFW elk hunt on the Elk Springs Ranch property. He has enough points and we've hunted other RFW properties with good success, so we know generally how the gig works. Does anybody have any experience with this ranch hunting elk in December or January? He's looking for a decent branch-antlered bull. Any info would be appreciated.

If I were you I would apply in a unit that has a Ranch that at least offers game retrieval, for a fee, and maybe some guide service (some are free). Besides... unless you have a camper/RV or tent Elk Springs Ranch is a long way from any decent motels.

I know multiple people who have hunted elk springs and usually walk away with one or two elk. They hunted bulls once and got a decent five point. Depending on the migration though I would not expect to see anything too big.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
If you want your nephew to bag a bull with Elk Springs RFW you'll be hunting in Dec. or Jan so you will be dealing with good numbers of migration elk and most likely snow and possibly drifts over the ranch roads, bring at least one pair of chains. You'll be on your own for game retrieval, since the ranch does not offer public hunter any assistance. Like any elk hunt have a good "after harvest" plan before you squeeze the trigger.

How many points does this or other RFW’s take? Do they set aside tags for youth hunts? I’ve been looking into hunts for the kids a bit was was seeing if these might be a good option. Thanks

How many points does this or other RFW’s take? Do they set aside tags for youth hunts? I’ve been looking into hunts for the kids a bit was was seeing if these might be a good option. Thanks
I don’t believe they set tags aside for kids. You can usually draw a decent cow tag fora good ranch with one preference point. Elk springs specifically only takes one pp for most cow tags.

The CO P&W RFW program does not have separate youth hunts. The points for either sex and cow varies by ranch and due to the possibility of point creep, may increase from the previous year, specially for bulls/either sex. There are several ranches in Units 3/301/4 that zero or one point can get you a tag for a cow.

Dallsheep...If your mind is made up that you want to put in for Unit 10/11 RFW (Elk Springs) then I'd plan on staying in Craig. Highway 40 is usually cleared of snow pretty fast after a storm. The secondary road from Blue Mountain south to Rangely could be slow to be cleared and could be a problem. Craig is about 50 miles to the east of Elk Springs RFW check-in point and Rangely is about 40 west of the check-in. Better yet, Maybell is about 20 miles east of the check-in and you could stay at the Victory Hotel, check out their web page. Remember, unless you can get some ranch help, you'll be on your own for the elk retrieval. With the late season migration comes late season snow and you know how that can drift onto the roads.

Chains are a must in that area in December first of all. Second, pray for snow because unit 11 is almost entirely dependent on migrating elk from the east. Because so many others will have had their shot at these herds as they migrate most of the older bulls will have been taken, so consider that you might be trying to take any bull you see. Other than that it is a good ranch to hunt if the weather cooperates. Good luck.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back