Wyoming unit 12 late season cow elk

Antler Dad

Just got back from unit 12 in Wyoming. Hunted the medicine bow NF. Elk were pretty scattered from the archery season. Needless to say we couldn’t find them. There is a late season from 11/15 to 1/31/20 west of hey 130. My question is does anyone have any experience hunting the late season in that area. Are there elk down that low in late December and early January? Also it’s all checkerboard BLM and private west of 130. Does anyone have any success getting access with land owner permission and or elk actually on the BLM. Any help would be appreciated. Only 11 hour drive and I have some vacation left to go out and try to fill these cow tags with my son.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCH
Not familiar with the area, but if you have the vacation time and the tag already in hand id say give it a shot!

I have that tag and live 1 1/2 hours from the area and I wouldn't even burn one day of the weekend trying it. I would be floored if you can get permission to hunt the private mixed with the checkerboard. Generally, I just use the tag as a bonus tag in the NF during the general season, but I will probably hunt the type 6 in November in the NF if I don't tag out.

What Cornell Cowboy said. Can't hurt to ask, but we have checked with TA Ranch, Kelley Cattle, and Johnson's in that area and they will not allow hunting. I don't think the elk stray too far west from Coad/Pennock/Kennaday Peak in the late season.

Back